Header Ad Module

Collapse

pre inspection engineering reports

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Davo36
    Fanatical
    • Sep 2007
    • 8450

    #16
    Originally posted by John the builder View Post
    The internal gutter system is a concern these gutters if the break or overflow direct water via the flat sioffit to the wall the are prone to blockage so watch for trees (and this is Titirangi?) ((change to a external gutter and yes extend the roof to form eaves if possible).

    otherwise you are buying what you see?
    JTB, where do you see an internal gutter? Under that deck?

    And how would you extend the roof to form eaves?
    Squadly dinky do!

    Comment

    • Damap
      Banned
      • Jul 2012
      • 3340

      #17
      I'd run Dave. Every winter you'll be lying in bed listening to the rain wondering if it's leaking somewhere.

      Comment

      • John the builder
        Fanatical
        • Nov 2013
        • 2297

        #18
        JTB, where do you see an internal gutter? Under that deck
        ?

        look at photo 10 of 20 under that patio area. The facia system is an internal gutter behind that metal fascia. You can see the down pipes coming from the soffits.

        If they overflow or break where does the water go? (Murphy's law- back to the house and into the wall). There should also be an oveflow but they are undersized and usually in the wrong place. The Gutters need to be kept clean and maintained

        And how would you extend the roof to form eaves?
        extend the purlins and run another metal roofing sheet down from the edge of the roof if the lower end put a slip sheet under the bottom of sheet.

        I would so this and remove the gutter system at the same time?

        I'd run Dave. Every winter you'll be lying in bed listening to the rain wondering if it's leaking somewher
        don't run but buy at a price that allows for work later and put the permanent probes in ASAP and manage the property properly as it was meant to be (but we didn't have a warning system to tell us when to do something unless it was a lucky leaks and it came through the ceiling etc

        Comment

        • Davo36
          Fanatical
          • Sep 2007
          • 8450

          #19
          Originally posted by John the builder View Post
          ?

          look at photo 10 of 20 under that patio area. The facia system is an internal gutter behind that metal fascia. You can see the down pipes coming from the soffits.

          If they overflow or break where does the water go? (Murphy's law- back to the house and into the wall). There should also be an oveflow but they are undersized and usually in the wrong place. The Gutters need to be kept clean and maintained



          extend the purlins and run another metal roofing sheet down from the edge of the roof if the lower end put a slip sheet under the bottom of sheet.

          I would so this and remove the gutter system at the same time?



          don't run but buy at a price that allows for work later and put the permanent probes in ASAP and manage the property properly as it was meant to be (but we didn't have a warning system to tell us when to do something unless it was a lucky leaks and it came through the ceiling etc
          Ok, thanks for this.
          Squadly dinky do!

          Comment

          • Davo36
            Fanatical
            • Sep 2007
            • 8450

            #20
            Originally posted by Damap View Post
            I'd run Dave. Every winter you'll be lying in bed listening to the rain wondering if it's leaking somewhere.
            Well our current house is like this Damap. We're on the side of a hill, with 2 streams coming into it, and when it rains heavily (which it seems to pretty often) we get a lot of water coming down. We have good drainage, but if it ever blocks up then it overflows, doesn't come into the house, but goes down drive.

            So actually I think I'd find the 'new' one better in this regard.
            Squadly dinky do!

            Comment

            • John the builder
              Fanatical
              • Nov 2013
              • 2297

              #21
              Davo
              dont be put off............... every building has something to consider..................but make informed decisions and accept the risk.

              At least your non-invasive inspection is at the end of winter? If the owners were trying to hide something then a summer sale would be better when everything passes the test

              Comment

              • Damap
                Banned
                • Jul 2012
                • 3340

                #22
                Fair enough Dave. I thought you might have been living in the downtown building.

                Comment

                • Davo36
                  Fanatical
                  • Sep 2007
                  • 8450

                  #23
                  Ok so an update:

                  We got a building inspection and the guy said it was 99% good. Just a couple of areas where moisture coming in from unsealed concrete block areas. Cheap and easy to fix.

                  So we went along to the auction yesterday and I guess unsurprisingly it went for $200k higher than we thought it was worth (sold for $1.2 million).

                  So a giant waste of time and money for us, our mortgage brokers, the bank, the building inspector and not to mention the other potential purchasers and their people. So confirms what I think and hate about auctions, they're a shit way to buy.

                  So we'll just stay where we are.

                  Thanks for your help guys.
                  Squadly dinky do!

                  Comment

                  • PTILoveYou
                    Fanatical
                    • Sep 2013
                    • 3867

                    #24
                    Looks like I'm late for this party...

                    Davo don't give up, market is quiet now, perfect time to upgrade your home!!!

                    For moisture test, inspectors just need to use a moisture detector. No holes needed. If you need to do destructive testing (ie drilling holes), you probably shouldn't be buying the leaker at the first place!

                    Nice house btw, I like it.

                    Auction is a double edge sword. Good properties get bid up a lot, not so good ones don't, and you can pick up bargains at times.

                    The last 4 purchases for me were all from Barfoot auctions lol.

                    Anyways, good luck and keep hunting brotha!

                    Comment

                    • Davo36
                      Fanatical
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 8450

                      #25
                      NaH been looking for 18 months Gary, so well over it.

                      And yes they're saying things are quiet, but there were 4 bidders for that house and it went for a ridiculous price, so it's not really quiet.

                      Plus our house is bigger and nicer than that one, just happens to be on the side of a hill which is annoying.

                      I imagine you might be able to pick up investments at auction though.

                      What do you do in terms of pre purchase reports?
                      Squadly dinky do!

                      Comment

                      • ATM
                        Freshie
                        • Sep 2014
                        • 53

                        #26
                        Davo
                        Maybe yr post here with the link to the house increased competition? Next time dont share it before auction. I hope u get yr knees fit or get a nice cool lift installed at yr house!

                        Comment

                        • Damap
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2012
                          • 3340

                          #27
                          I am surprised you thought it would be only a mil Davo. Based on 2002 sale price, CV and the fact that all recent sales in the area, (2 in the same street were both at 30% above CV), the sale price was "cheap". My evaluer says: $1,135,000 - $1,346,000.

                          Comment

                          • PTILoveYou
                            Fanatical
                            • Sep 2013
                            • 3867

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                            I imagine you might be able to pick up investments at auction though.

                            What do you do in terms of pre purchase reports?
                            We took just about 18 months to upgrade our home last year as well, but we had interruptions like babies along the way


                            pre purchase inspection reports, we never had to do them, as we never ask for written approvals to go to auctions.

                            Basically after getting my preapproval, every auction I go to, I send the auction documents and property details to my bank or mortgage broker in advance, and they will give me the verbal go or not.

                            Worked fine for me for all my auctions.

                            I usually don't do any pre building inspections. I rely on my own judgement, but we only buy properties (30+ years old) that have stood the test of time

                            Comment

                            • ATM
                              Freshie
                              • Sep 2014
                              • 53

                              #29
                              I don't know about others. As for me, if the house is going to be auctioned and if i'm interested, I keep it secret ... Especially I don't show my interest to the agent at all ... Doing the pre-auction inspection gives the agent the signal that someone is really interested in and I feel it raises the reserve price etc. The agent will be reporting to the vendor how many serious bidders coming etc. The last one I bought ... I just turned up out of the blue and just bid and (even the agent was a bit taken by surprised as he didn't feel that I was interested in). I did of course view the house like others and checked all the various documents available. ... Or dress up like a rich China man with a deep pocket to scare other competitors off?

                              Comment

                              • Damap
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2012
                                • 3340

                                #30
                                Very good point ATM. I have often had agents "warn" me that others had inspections etc. so they were "serious".

                                Comment

                                Working...