Reasons Why Investors Stumble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons Why Investors Stumble

Seems to be a lot of discussion on here about “you should listen to people who have failed as they have the best advice”.

I personally think that is a load of crap as many people who fail don’t learn from their mistakes, but for some it strengthens character and does improve their skills.

Here are some of many reasons (summarised) that I have found that people have had issues investing and I am sure you can add to the list. I will not go into great detail as this will all be in my book coming out Friday (joking!).

1 – Think investing is passive – It is not, it is a business and requires constant input and management (level depends on numbers of houses, systems in place). If you get into this game be prepared to put in some input if you want to do it well.

2 – House prices only go up – NO they don’t! They go up, down and sideways and even die. The equity you hold in property is paper money it is NOT real, it is the difference between mortgage debt and market value on any given day.

3 – Negative Gearing – If you are topping up $ 100 pw when the tenant ($ 400pw) is in place then you will pay $ 500 a week when vacant. If you have a few houses then this is amplified, what happens if you lose your job or business fails in a down turn?

4 – Leverage – If you are leveraged then you use this to amplify your returns (hopefully for the positive) but it also amplifies your loses so is a double edge sword.

5 – Lack of planning – No strategy, no plan, no idea, some people are all over the place.

6 – Education – Don’t constantly learn, and are afraid of asking questions for the sake of feeling dumb so make fundamental mistakes.

7 – Cocky – Think the world revolves around them and the market will follow what they think (I don’t believe in fortune telling) and the market does what it wants so plan for changes.

8 – Insurance – Lack of it

9 – DIY – Think they have skills that are not there because they watched the Block on TV

10 – Procrastination – Taking too long to do things so nothing happens or losses are increased. A small loss won’t ruin you!

11 – Bank Hating – Anti the bank. The bank is your business partner, they want to make money but are risk obverse so they won’t just back your ideas, and even if you owe them millions you are still a nobody really in their world.

12 – Banking System Knowledge – No understanding of how they work, how they calculate serviceability etc.

13 – Greed – Enough said

14 – Borrowing to fund life style – If you live on borrowed money you are living off nothing but book value (equity) which is not real (very, very common)

15 – Blame Game – Always someone else’s fault (banks, councils, governments, tenants etc), you invest, you make the decisions that lead you to this point, so get over it and accept you stuffed up and solve the issues.

16 – Divorce – How stable is your relationship??? Set up structures that will may prevent a fire sale if you fall out (bought 4 houses at 13.6% average this way as need sale fast).

17 – Playboy Lifestyle – Don’t spend what you don’t have. If you need a flash car on hock to impress people get help. “live poor & grow rich” . Too many spend what they don’t really have and get caught out.

18 – Cash-flow is KING!!!!!! – Cash pays your bills not book value. No cash = defaults to the bank etc and how many mortgagees have we all bought.

19 – Listening to the wrong people – I listen to most people, and trust nothing they say till I have checked them and researched the information, most people are full of crap. Better yet find out who is doing what you want too (successfully) and hang out with them (eg. PIA’s) and learn.

20 – Lack of tenant market knowledge – Don’t know rents for areas, what tenants like (your customer) and how to get houses tenanted. And no tenants can’t just keep paying more and more rent.

21 – Over Capitalisation – Spend too much on renovations and don’t see any real increases in book value or rent so what was the point?

22 – Believe the hype – Start buying at the top of cycles because of media, mentors, deals etc and market corrects and they are wiped out.

23 – LVR – Just too much debt and no repayment systems in place. LVR is a book value / debt ratio so if prices drop LVR goes up and bank gets very nervous – that simple.

24 – Drugs – What else do I say. Best one was the $ 50+ million dairy farm portfolio sold (by BNZ) once the owner was busted for cooking up P in Springs Junction (one of many I know of buy the way).

25 – Interest rate changes – Interest rates change and you should hedge your bets. If you have no idea what hedge means then you better get learning!

26 – Lack of market knowledge – No idea what places actually sell for and are worth so on back foot from day 1. Blue chip used inflated registered valuations (one method) to dupe their customers and how many got wiped out???

27 – Diversification – They get into everything and think it is cool – Houses, apartments, flats, commercial, shares, and business. Restrict what you do and be the best at that not crap at 10 things.

28 – Got bored but still so many – Off to the beach for bit, might go to Kaiteriteri today for a swim (so many beaches to choose from) – Bragging – yes I am!!!!

You forgot being confused and misled by stupid trolls, called Scott :-)
    And whilst your rant is entertaining it is not really true. most of that list are reason people fail at life or are poor. Investing requires skill and judgment, especially if you want to scale it. So finding people who have been very aggressive and gotten things wrong and now have a much higher skill level are the best people to learn from. They can teach you a lot and keep out of trouble.
    Last edited by Damap; 15-01-2015, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Damap View Post
      You forgot being confused and misled ........
      Thanks for reminding us.

Comment

Agree tire - rather listen to a winner than a loser.

IMHO - At it's raw basic property investment is one of the most basic
        forms of investing you can do - like a lot of things human being
        have a tendency to over complicate things and end up not
        seeing the wood from the trees.

One of the greatest economic rules of Supply and Demand
        will put you in good stead !

Comment

You forgot being confused and misled by stupid trolls, called Scott :-)
          And whilst your rant is entertaining it is not really true. most of that list are reason people fail at life or are poor. Investing requires skill and judgment, especially if you want to scale it. So finding people who have been very aggressive and gotten things wrong and now have a much higher skill level are the best people to learn from. They can teach you a lot and keep out of trouble.

Maybe 24???

Comment

Yes I would say it's likely you are on drugs so add 24 to your list yes. But mostly you are 7 and 29.
            29. Self absorbed snot syndrome.
            Last edited by Damap; 15-01-2015, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the concise summary tire.
              Enjoy the beach....you've certainly earned it over the years.

Comment

Good summary Tire.

Comment

My take would be:
                  1) over leveraged at the top of the boom just before the fall
                  2) fail to manage cashflow
                  3) over confident and take on too much risk/too many projects resulting in 1 & 2 above

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                    My take would be:
                    1) over leveraged at the top of the boom just before the fall
                    Agree with you Gary. I am still uncomfortable with over leverage at the top of the boom. A major event may change the tide suddenly. Guess I am conservative.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgoh View Post
                      Agree with you Gary. I am still uncomfortable with over leverage at the top of the boom. A major event may change the tide suddenly. Guess I am conservative.
                      We are still around 11 o'clock, but usually you want to be in the 60-70% LVR range come 1 o'clock just before the downturn.

Comment

3 – Negative Gearing – If you are topping up $ 100 pw when the tenant ($ 400pw) is in place then you will pay $ 500 a week when vacant. If you have a few houses then this is amplified, what happens if you lose your job or business fails in a down turn?

I have to agree, but also disagree on this one, purely because this strategy still works on certain investors.

Investors like professional doctors, lawyers accountants, CEO/CFOs high income families that have good, stable, and high paying jobs, who also happen to be time poor can still benefit from buying in good leafy expensive suburbs for capital gain.

A lot of casual investors have been using this negative gearing strategy for decades and still come out ahead, so it works, with risks of course like loosing job etc, but there's risk to everything.

It's not very efficient in cases to build up a large portfolio over a short period of time with average incomes, but doens't mean it won't work.

Comment

I have to agree, but also disagree on this one, purely because this strategy still works on certain investors.

Investors like professional doctors, lawyers accountants, CEO/CFOs high income families that have good, stable, and high paying jobs, who also happen to be time poor can still benefit from buying in good leafy expensive suburbs for capital gain.

A lot of casual investors have been using this negative gearing strategy for decades and still come out ahead, so it works, with risks of course like loosing job etc, but there's risk to everything.

It's not very efficient in cases to build up a large portfolio over a short period of time with average incomes, but doens't mean it won't work.
                          I agree with you, many people use negative gearing and have been very successful but many people do not understand how this is affected in a down turn and amplifies losses also and why some investors have come undone.

If you have a few houses most people can manage but if you have 10 then this may go south when interest rates rise, bank won't loan more money to refinance, or vacancy increases or rents decrease.

The list I compiled was from analysing why many investors have stumbled and some have for one specific reason and others for many of the reasons listed.

Like all businesses you manage risk but to manage risk you must first identify the risks and then your exposure or vulnerability to those risks.

Comment

Yes I would say it's likely you are on drugs so add 24 to your list yes. But mostly you are 7 and 29.
                            29. Self absorbed snot syndrome.
                            Did I hit a nerve??????

Like 29, good to see you are making up your own numbers again, to suit your own needs, did that work well for you heading into the GFC???

But I see when I quote you had used a white font so now I can see it - Shows at least you are smart at using the font features, shame about the investing side of things.

I must have really hit a nerve - truth hurts they say!
                            Last edited by tire kicking investor; 15-01-2015, 02:25 PM.

Comment

We are still around 11 o'clock, but usually you want to be in the 60-70% LVR range come 1 o'clock just before the downturn.
                              How fast is the clock turning though?
                              That is the big question - do you have enough time left?

Comment

Working...
                              X