Header Ad Module

Collapse

what's an acceptable yield in Auckland ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dan1
    Freshie
    • May 2014
    • 16

    #1

    what's an acceptable yield in Auckland ?

    Hey guys, what would you consider the best obtainable yield on a investment property in Auckland? I'm thinking south Auckland and around 8%?
  • Propertytrader
    Forum Junkie
    • Sep 2014
    • 270

    #2
    hi there,i reckon if you want a good yield,invest in apartments in the CBD, you can get about 11%,i would not go for anything less, as cash flow is king thanks

    Comment

    • Shane D
      Fanatical
      • May 2008
      • 1047

      #3
      Originally posted by dan1 View Post
      Hey guys, what would you consider the best obtainable yield on a investment property in Auckland? I'm thinking south Auckland and around 8%?
      dan,

      I spend a bit of time looking at properties here in South Auckland. Home and Income properties are still the best yield option out here. But yields have dropped. Papatoetoe you would be lucky to get 6.5%. Mangere East is where I am focusing my search right now. Still possible to get 7% or very close.

      The only 8% or better properties I see have illegal incomes (converted garages etc). I wouldn't recommend those.
      Last edited by Shane D; 19-09-2014, 08:04 AM.

      Comment

      • Leftette
        Banned
        • Jun 2013
        • 1980

        #4
        7%!!?? That's not even close to break-even, so you'd better be praying for swift and reasonable capital gain. In Mangere East. Sounds to me like investors chasing and fighting over ever-decreasing scraps.

        Comment

        • elguapo
          Fanatical
          • Jun 2013
          • 2161

          #5
          Originally posted by Propertytrader View Post
          you can get about 11%,i would not go for anything less, as cash flow is king thanks
          What exactly are you buying with an 11% yield?

          Comment

          • elguapo
            Fanatical
            • Jun 2013
            • 2161

            #6
            Originally posted by Shane D View Post
            dan,

            I spend a bit of time looking at properties here in South Auckland. Home and Income properties are still the best yield option out here. But yields have dropped. Papatoetoe you would be lucky to get 6.5%. Mangere East is where I am focusing my search right now. Still possible to get 7% or very close.

            The only 8% or better properties I see have illegal incomes (converted garages etc). I wouldn't recommend those.
            That's exactly what I've seen, there really isn't any value at all in Auckland IMO.

            Comment

            • Walkerweir
              Freshie
              • May 2014
              • 14

              #7
              Originally posted by Leftette View Post
              7%!!?? That's not even close to break-even, so you'd better be praying for swift and reasonable capital gain. In Mangere East. Sounds to me like investors chasing and fighting over ever-decreasing scraps.
              Given the nature of Auckland residential property and increasing land/property values, a 7% yield is still a strong return. Based on a property worth say $450k (maybe a 3 bedroom South Auckland property), that would be $600+ a week in rent which is market rate for most likely below median levels of quality?

              Comment

              • Propertytrader
                Forum Junkie
                • Sep 2014
                • 270

                #8
                hi Elguapo I buy apartments,i am not after capital gain,but after cash-flow for the time being thanks

                Comment

                • speights boy
                  Fanatical
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 7935

                  #9
                  ^ In what buildings did you last purchase apartments ?

                  Comment

                  • Davo36
                    Fanatical
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 8450

                    #10
                    I'd be interested to know where these 11% deals are too
                    Squadly dinky do!

                    Comment

                    • Propertytrader
                      Forum Junkie
                      • Sep 2014
                      • 270

                      #11
                      hi my most recent purchase is c-vu building,but beware this building is not for the faint hearted or conservative investor thanks

                      Comment

                      • elguapo
                        Fanatical
                        • Jun 2013
                        • 2161

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Propertytrader View Post
                        c-vu building,but beware this building is not for the faint hearted or conservative investor thanks
                        Does that translate to it being a complete POS with legal action, outstanding repairs, possible massive liability and all in all something no one in there right mind would go near? What does that yield when BC fees triple to pay for the legal action and repairs?

                        Comment

                        • Propertytrader
                          Forum Junkie
                          • Sep 2014
                          • 270

                          #13
                          hi there, there are 3 kinds of investors,define which one are you.

                          Type-C investor
                          Type-C investors are financially uneducated and look for people to tell them what to invest in

                          Type-B investor
                          Type-B investors seek answers. They often ask questions like:
                          • What do you recommend I invest in?
                          • do you think i should invest in real estate?

                          i define myself as type A Investor.
                          • Type-A investors
                            Type-A investors look for problems. In particular, they look for problems caused by those who get into financial trouble. Investors who are good at solving problems expect to make 25 percent to infinite returns on their money. They have a strong financial foundation and possess the skills necessary to succeed as business owners and investors. They use those skills to solve problems caused by people who lack such skills.

                          Comment

                          • Maccachic
                            Fanatical
                            • Jul 2011
                            • 2759

                            #14
                            Might be the issue you are having with lending.

                            Comment

                            • Shane D
                              Fanatical
                              • May 2008
                              • 1047

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Leftette View Post
                              7%!!?? That's not even close to break-even, so you'd better be praying for swift and reasonable capital gain. In Mangere East. Sounds to me like investors chasing and fighting over ever-decreasing scraps.
                              It's all relevant. Auckland central suburb yields are around 4% and I am sure it's not much different up your neck of the woods.

                              Mangere East is very popular now and fast gentrifying. The No. 20 South Western Motorway will connect to the North Western in 2017. High demand from Middlemore hospital and Auckland airport workers. I am also seeing lots of first home buyers that are presently renters in central city suburbs and looking to buy.

                              Comment

                              Working...