No announcement yet.

Trillions Heading Our Way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Academics accuse universities of 'addiction' to international students and their cheating
    Whistleblowing academics have accused their universities of contributing to systemic cheating by welcoming international students who are "functionally illiterate" because they rely so heavily on their fees.

Some academics claim they have urged their university leaders to raise the English proficiency requirements but their concerns have been largely ignored because they are at odds with financial imperatives.
    One professor from a business school at a NSW university said he had students whose English was so poor they routinely came to his office with an interpreter.

He said there was "unbelieveable pressure" to pass international students from university administrators who "don't want a cool flow of income being interrupted by real world problems".

"It's completely destroying our universities," he said.
    "It's buggering the thing for everyone."
    www.smh.com.au/national/education/academics-accuse-universities-of-addiction-to-international-students-and-their-cheating-20141112-11lbdi.html

Comment

Students enlist MyMaster website to write essays, assignments
      Thousands of students have enlisted a Sydney company to write essays and assignments for them as well as sit online tests, paying up to $1000 for the service.
      Their desire to succeed threatens the credibility and international standing of some of our most prestigious institutions.

A Fairfax Media investigation has uncovered a sophisticated online business, which has produced thousands of university assignments and turned over hundreds of thousands of dollars since it began operating in May 2012.
      Yingying Dou, a 30-year-old Chinese-born woman, is the sole director of MyMaster Group Pty Ltd, which is behind the website, written in Chinese and aimed at international students.

It claims to be the largest essay-writing service in Sydney, with 100 graduate writers from "prestigious universities in Australia" ready to accept jobs at any one time.
      www.smh.com.au/national/education/students-enlist-mymaster-website-to-write-essays-assignments-20141111-11k0xg.html

Comment

as much as china hates japan

china has taken this directly from the japanese playbook

the japanese took it from the ancient china civil service mandarins

but their new twist was to use modern communications to include the whole population in the race

the solution to most problems is education

but what is the solution to too much education/competition?

smaller population?

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
        Well education in China is complex, but one thing is clear, the pressure on students is enormous!

Basically even at primary school (start at age 6 or 7, and lasts 6 years), students begin their study before 8am and finishes at 5pm. There's also a lot of homework at the end of each day, for weekends, and even school holidays!

Once into intermediate and then high school (3 years each), there will be more and more "after hour' tuition required. All this is to prepare for the eventual high school exam at age 19/20.

The high school exam is basically the university entrance exam, which there is a lot of pressure. If the students don't get good marks, they don't go into the universities they want.

After joining uni, the pressure is a lot less, but there will be pressure again when leaving uni to find jobs.

Parents don't send kids overseas so that the pressure on kids are less, they send kids out because they think there's higher quality education overseas, and more opportunities once they come back to China or stay overseas.

Nowadays more and more parents are sending out their kids for eventual emigration.
        have you defeated them?
        your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
          but what is the solution to too much education/competition?

smaller population?
          Easy, look for places where competition is less.

Comment

Grab some popcorn and watch Bernie and Olly go at it: http://tvnz.co.nz/q-and-a-news/restr...-video-6131395

I was thinking it might be fun to have a 'predictions' thread again. We've done this in the past and there's always a diversity of views. Watch reckon Donna?
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

manual work?
              have you defeated them?
              your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
                manual work?
                What? And another few characters....
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                  Grab some popcorn and watch Bernie and Olly go at it: http://tvnz.co.nz/q-and-a-news/restr...-video-6131395

I was thinking it might be fun to have a 'predictions' thread again. We've done this in the past and there's always a diversity of views. Watch reckon Donna?
                  Olly was almost swearing at Hickey, quite a laugh, but I only managed to watch the first minute or so before closing it.

Too much of a tv soap for me.

Comment

Yeah I met Olly in person once. He's a pretty grouchy negative old so and so.

And Bernard is well spoken and gives quite a good interview, but I don't know that I'd take his advice.
                    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Overseas buyers of NZ assets is not a problem. The problem is they are at an advantage compared to local buyers.
                      They don't have to pay any tax.
                      For example buy an NZ farm for $200m. The ownership is registered in a tax haven. They set up their own finance company in the tax haven with the $200m. Lend the money to their tax haven representative company set up in NZ to buy the farms. Commercial rates of interest are charged. Result losses made in NZ & profits in the tax haven. No NZ tax to pay.
                      The Lochinver farms will be owned in the tax haven & probably pay no NZ tax. The Crafar farms are tax haven owned. Ditto the Wellington Electricity Network which is tax haven owned as well. Must be countless others.
                      Really needs the finance minister to make an effort to solve the problem. The opposition need to understand what is happening & apply pressure on the govt to solve the problem. Don't see much of either happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                        Yeah I met Olly in person once. He's a pretty grouchy negative old so and so.

And Bernard is well spoken and gives quite a good interview, but I don't know that I'd take his advice.
                        Olly sells advise.

Hickey sells news.

So I rather listen to Olly than some journalist.

Comment

^^ advice ....!

Comment

there is a big problem with tax havens

which all the world govs. need to address

but most govs. can't keep their own tax systems unchanged for even 10 years

so how they hope to harmonise the world's tax system i don't know

have you defeated them?
                            your demons

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                              ^^ advice ....!
                              Thanks, I always get these two words mixed up...

Comment

Working...
                              X