Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Time The Rest Of New Zealand Grew Some Balls !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McDuck View Post
    What sort of issues are still on-going there?
    As an example, a good friend of mine has a $1mil+ two storey house which is literally split in two (you can look from the north side of the house and see the south side fence).

It is still standing as insurance constantly stall even though it has been ordered to be demolished. They are still paying mortgage, rates, insurance on the property while living in another property.

Insurance hasn't paid out a cent. This has been going on for over 3 years since the first earthquake. It is simply not fair for insurance to stall this long.

I don't know what the OP wants someone in Auckland to do though?

Comment

Originally posted by Norwest View Post
      As an example, a good friend of mine has a $1mil+ two storey house which is literally split in two (you can look from the north side of the house and see the south side fence).

It is still standing as insurance constantly stall even though it has been ordered to be demolished. They are still paying mortgage, rates, insurance on the property while living in another property.

Insurance hasn't paid out a cent. This has been going on for over 3 years since the first earthquake. It is simply not fair for insurance to stall this long.

I don't know what the OP wants someone in Auckland to do though?
      What are they dragging their heels on? Our Christchurch office is doing a fair bit of work for both the insurance companies and private residents http://www.prendos.co.nz/insurance-claims-christchurch

Comment

Its karma for winning so many super rugby titles, now deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
          What are they dragging their heels on? Our Christchurch office is doing a fair bit of work for both the insurance companies and private residents http://www.prendos.co.nz/insurance-claims-christchurch
          I'm almost at the end of a 3.5 year battle with an insurance company on a property in Chch. What are they dragging their heels on? Absolute and total incompetence by all involved. Every single person. It's been like dealing with imbeciles. I credit excellent advisors, patience and a sense of humour for getting me through it. I am 100% certain a lot of people will have gotten a raw deal.
          “Our favorite holding period is forever.”

Comment

Or like in my brother's case, when EQC's repair scope of works/quote and the insurance company's one differ by about $200 000. Stalemate and nothing gets done.
            They are having to pay for a QS to go in and do their own report. Apparently that costs $4000 a pop and they'll need more than one. In the meantime, like the above, the house is costing them money. They bought another one to live in, but they're going broke by carrying this burden for so long and are now having to sell the place they're living in.

Then there are issues like my mother's. She's received the EQC money for her repairs. Only her insurance company does not undertake all of the repairs (e.g. landscaping retaining wall) yet they are demanding the entire EQC payout before they will start work. So let's say she hands all the dosh over. Her house gets repaired, fine and dandy. But where will the money come from to pay for the wall, once the insurance co. has pocketed it?

She also has an issue in that when the EQ struck, the house was half owned by her, half by the estate of her late husband. His half had been left to her in his will. Also, according to the RPA, she was due it as of right. It has now been legally transferred into her name, yet the insurance co. is requiring all sorts of impossible-to-get documents before they pay out. The fact that there's no earthly legal way that someone else ever had a claim to the place is beyond their grasp.
            My blog. From personal experience.
            http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post

She also has an issue in that when the EQ struck, the house was half owned by her, half by the estate of her late husband. His half had been left to her in his will. Also, according to the RPA, she was due it as of right.

It has now been legally transferred into her name, yet the insurance co. is requiring all sorts of impossible-to-get documents before they pay out. The fact that there's no earthly legal way that someone else ever had a claim to the place is beyond their grasp.
              No possible claims? Really? What about children claiming from their father? Or step children? Or adoptees? Or creditors? IRD? All of those possibilities exist and are not defeated by the will. No insurance co wants to pay out twice.

Comment

Nope. It was watertight due to the nature of the property sharing arrangement. Even without the will, legally, she would have got it on his death.
                My blog. From personal experience.
                http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norwest View Post
                  It is still standing as insurance constantly stall even though it has been ordered to be demolished... Insurance hasn't paid out a cent.
                  Your friends may want to take some legal advice, under most policies the insurance company is obligated to pay out the indemnity value of the property once it is deemed a rebuild (this is an interim payment and doesn't prejudice the insurer's obligation to rebuild, they will have to pay it back to the insurance company when they start rebuilding). Given the time that has elapsed they may want to consider seeking use of money interest on that value.

They should also have received a rebate on the premiums they paid prior to it being deemed a rebuild (and after if the premium wasn't reduced at the time).
                  Last edited by Xav; 22-03-2014, 07:35 PM.

Comment

From what I see, most people regard "The Insurance Company" as an entity.
                    This is wrong.

Like most large corporates, insurance companies are divided within themselves into fiefdoms and ambitious individuals.

When such an individual is appointed to a role that deals with Christchurch, his/her ambition is to personally look good by maximising income and minimising outgoings.
                    Therefore he/she will procrastinate, fiddle and stall on as many payouts as possible until they are eventually promoted elsewhere in the company to a role that gets them off that particular hook.

Sure, the insurance company has to pay out eventually, but 'not on my watch'.

Comment

Well you all built on a swamp and there was plenty of engineering warning that it was going to happen.
                      You all were happy to pay the low premiums for high risk property,that was until you needed that payout.

Personally I think that CHCH should be made to sell all its assets and be made to use those funds to repair its other assets.

Things like airports, forests, etc etc are saleable and would contribute to the repairs. That's what any other non Govt. business would have to do.

But we get stuck as taxpayers and payers of interest with your overheads.
                      It sucks.

Comment

And I think that Tauranga should have been sold to pay for the Rena cleanup.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                          You all were happy to pay the low premiums for high risk property,that was until you needed that payout.
                          They were the premiums that the companies set.
                          I gather you are sure that your premiums are correct - have you analysed your own risk?
                          Maybe you have decided to pay at a higher rate to cover that risk that they aren't building in correctly?
                          What about that White Island thing?

Comment

Originally posted by DazRaz View Post
                            And I think that Tauranga should have been sold to pay for the Rena cleanup.
                            LOL who would want to buy Tauranga have you seen our level of debt??

Comment

You can keep it, AND we'll throw in Len Brown for free.

Comment

i dont know what you lot are complaining about, sideshow bob got a knighthood didnt he

Comment

Working...
                                X