Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV Aerial question. Whose responsibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Aerial question. Whose responsibility?

Hi guys, I have received an email from my tenant.
    "We don't have Sky TV and our TV is not freeview. We are trying to install Igloo Freeview (UHF aerial) and it won't pick up the channels. Igloo have said the aerial most likely needs to be realigned."

Is this my responsibility or the tenants. I dont know much abut Igloo TV.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I faced a similar issue recently - Most antennas in Auckland need to be replaced as TV has moved to UHF, along side this move the service has changed to a digital service. This means people wanting to receive TV either put in a sky dish, a freeview dish or get free view on UHF. Most existing antennas (not dish's) are tuned to the wrong frequency or pointing in the wrong direction.
    What did I do - I installed the antenna at my own cost - Because tenant's move on and the next one will ask the same question. If the tenant installs it at their cost, they will also want to remove it when they leave - leaving holes and possible damage.

Comment

A UHF aerial needs to point at the signal source. It cannot be in a valley. They may not be able to ever get igloo tv. In that case a dish is the only option, pointed to OptusD1 I believe, and then freeview is your oyster.

Comment

kodii,

Very timely thread. Thanks for bringing up this topic. I have started getting requests for new aerials from tenants.

Can someone give us an idea the cost of new aerial and labour to install it? Also a suggestion of a good company to carry out the work.

I am still deciding whether to go ahead and upgrade the aerials on my 10 tenancies. I am leaning towards the thinking of gavinc. Going ahead and paying to get it done for tenants.

Shane

Comment

Hi All,
          Consider the TV aerial in the same context as you would the stove. If it's attached to the building and you own the aerial/sky dish it's yours to maintain in a working order at your expense.

If the tenant supplied and had it fitted it's theirs to maintain at their own expense. Only problem with tenant ownership is when the tenant moves on they are entitled to take it with them, however they must repair holes, made for the installation, to an acceptable workmanlike standard.

If the tenant installs, moves out and leaves the aerial/skydish then in accordance with RTA S42(4) ownership becomes the property owners, this places you into the situation of paragraph 1.
          Property Management Solutions

Comment

I personally would come to the party on that one if they ask.
            Some may decide to get sky themselves which would solve your problem.
            Ive never had any one try to take a sky dish with them.

Comment

Cost from memory on freeview aeriel was about $100 +around $230 to instal in the Auckland area.
              Probably would have been cheaper to do a package deal. Look in the local rag.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz View Post
                If the tenant installs, moves out and leaves the aerial/skydish then in accordance with RTA S42(4) ownership becomes the property owners, this places you into the situation of paragraph 1.
                I think you will find that the Sky dish belongs to Sky

Comment

If something is provided by the landlord, it's the landlord's responsibility to make it work. I've removed UHF aerials for this reason in locations they work poorly.
                  You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Is an aerial a requirement now by landlords? I thought it was......

Comment

According to the Tenancy Services website a landlord is not obliged to provide TV digital connection or upgrade current services.

I recently had a UHF aerial installed for one of my tenants and it cost $263. I use Robert at Auckland Aerials: http://aucklandaerials.co.nz/contact-us. He knows his stuff and sorted out my mum's digital connection which was down a valley with poor reception out in the Waitaks. She can now get freeview and is very happy.

Comment

TV Aerial would be landlord responsibility. If they want sky then it is the tenant's responsibility in my opinion.
                        www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                        # Property Management
                        # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Found the relevant legislation finally, always tenants responsibility providing landlord hasn't supplied an aerial. So if on the building when tenant moves in landlord problem. If no aerial and tenant wants one tenant problem.

Comment

I think LL who don't provide a TV aerial are cheapskates!
                            Irrespective of the law.

Comment

I know for one of our Rotorua rentals the old tenants left after 5 years and I think they were using a sky and it wasn't until the new tenants that we found out there was no TV Aerial .We just ended up paying for a new one - I *think* it was around ~$150-$250 to have one supplied and installed.
                              www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                              # Property Management
                              # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Working...
                              X