Sob story of the day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercury111 View Post
    It has been a condition in my own low deposit pre approval, and in family and friends, interested if there is a way around that?
    Banks impose tougher conditions on apartments. But didn't think they would reject units outright. Can you tell us what the specific condition is?

Comment

In my situation we were talking about a 5% or a 10% deposit, and was told the conditions we needed to buy in were a stand alone, pre 1999, with no more than a $5000 (structural) do up. When I asked more about the stand alone, I was told that units and apartments are generally a straight out no, but duplexs are considered.

Comment

The specified the year? Think you need a broker.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
          The specified the year? Think you need a broker.
          Maybe I do! :-) Admittedly year was a verbal guideline, not a condition per se. But the Unit/Apartment thing seems to be pretty standard amongst friends and siblings, with a range of brokers/banks.

Comment

I've been using Jeff at ilender. He's pretty good. In fact just met with him this afternoon to discuss debt structures.
            Just give him a call. http://www.ilender.co.nz/about

Comment

That "no units" thing sounds idiotic. If Len gets his way you'll have little else to choose from!

Comment

Correct.
                I would be getting an accurate meaning of the term unit from the bank.
                Do they mean of block of 6 flats for example?

I find it very strange they are not a fan of the good ol' block of 2 or 3, 1970s / 80s brick and tile unit.
                Still very popular around the place with buyers.

Comment

Thank you. Agreed, it seems an affordable way to start with a low deposit.

Comment

The reality of the modern world is that the Haves always have more than the Have-nots.

For people buying at 10% deposit or less, unfortunately they have to play by the rules, bank's rules, and unfortunately they will get charged higher rates than less-risk home buyers or investors.

Comment

Working...
                    X