Header Ad Module

Collapse

Buying at Auction while lying around Pool In Tonga ?????????????????

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bluekiwi
    Fanatical
    • May 2008
    • 4002

    #1

    Buying at Auction while lying around Pool In Tonga ?????????????????

    Okay so I have found a property that I like which is going to mortgage sale.
    The agent says the bank will not consider my pre - auction offer.
    That I have to bid at auction.

    The problem being that I will be on holiday in Tonga.
    What is the rule on buyers agents, or sending a patsy to bid for me.
    I for sure, do not trust, phone lines from Tonga to a cell phone in NZ auction room.
    Its a third world country at best.

    And I really dont trust the selling agent at Barfoots to bid for me.
    Although I do have a few other barfoots agents I sort of trust.
    You know, I would trust them with my wife, but maybe not somethign important like my favourite shirt

    What is the procedure ?
  • speights boy
    Fanatical
    • Aug 2008
    • 7935

    #2
    Rent a satellite phone and take that with you.

    Comment

    • Bluekiwi
      Fanatical
      • May 2008
      • 4002

      #3
      Originally posted by speights boy View Post
      Rent a satellite phone and take that with you.
      Thats interesting, didnt even know you could do that.

      Your not still drinking speights are you, really, come on ?????????

      Comment

      • speights boy
        Fanatical
        • Aug 2008
        • 7935

        #4
        ^ I'll seek some advise from TLL as to how to effect a name change

        Off shore yachties use these as backups to radio.

        www.radiowaves.co.nz/satellite-phones.html

        Comment

        • NovInvestor
          Addicted
          • Jul 2010
          • 983

          #5
          As long as you have a price set in stone in your mind, it will be ok to telephone bid.

          Comment

          • Bluekiwi
            Fanatical
            • May 2008
            • 4002

            #6
            Yeah I have won an auction telephone bidding from the toilet seat at home as it was my boys birthday and it was the only quiet place I could find.
            But I dont trust the phone line from Tonga, all it takes is a windy day and the line being swung around by the coconut tree and reception is blown away.

            Comment

            • Leftette
              Banned
              • Jun 2013
              • 1980

              #7
              What are you talking about, sb? This is nothing but a thinly-disguised bragging thread, but if you're going to do it, do it right. Rent a satellite phone - one with the biggest aerial, with the largest unfolding mechanism and complex technique needed to unfold it, then make sure you speak loudly so that even people at the bottom of the deep end can hear you. Wear dark glasses, flip flops and a loud shirt. Combine frantic pacing and arm waving with a seated back, legs crossed on the chair in front of you. On completion of the call, look at the Mrs and say "We have to get a new butler". You'll look and sound really cool. Trust me on this.

              Comment

              • Nice
                Addicted
                • May 2012
                • 524

                #8
                You don't need a real estate agent to bid for you, I did this recently with a mate bidding for me while I walked the Able Tasman track. Sent him an email with instructions and bidding amount etc; and warned the auctioneer that he was being sent in as an agent for me. Worked quite well, despite the bidding going way higher than was useful, so didn't buy.

                I guess it helps to have good friends that can be trusted !

                Comment

                • Bluekiwi
                  Fanatical
                  • May 2008
                  • 4002

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Nice View Post
                  You don't need a real estate agent to bid for you, I did this recently with a mate bidding for me while I walked the Able Tasman track. Sent him an email with instructions and bidding amount etc; and warned the auctioneer that he was being sent in as an agent for me. Worked quite well, despite the bidding going way higher than was useful, so didn't buy.

                  I guess it helps to have good friends that can be trusted !

                  Yeah that is what I was thinking.
                  I wonder if it is a stretch to have them phone bid as well.

                  Comment

                  • drelly
                    Fanatical
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 5838

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Leftette View Post
                    What are you talking about, sb? This is nothing but a thinly-disguised bragging thread, but if you're going to do it, do it right. Rent a satellite phone - one with the biggest aerial, with the largest unfolding mechanism and complex technique needed to unfold it, then make sure you speak loudly so that even people at the bottom of the deep end can hear you. Wear dark glasses, flip flops and a loud shirt. Combine frantic pacing and arm waving with a seated back, legs crossed on the chair in front of you. On completion of the call, look at the Mrs and say "We have to get a new butler". You'll look and sound really cool. Trust me on this.
                    Totally agree... but the only words others sitting nearby should hear are; "Syria", "Clusterfcuk" and "Send in the drone".
                    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

                    Comment

                    • SwissKiwi
                      Addicted
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 624

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Leftette View Post
                      What are you talking about, sb? This is nothing but a thinly-disguised bragging thread, but if you're going to do it, do it right. Rent a satellite phone - one with the biggest aerial, with the largest unfolding mechanism and complex technique needed to unfold it, then make sure you speak loudly so that even people at the bottom of the deep end can hear you. Wear dark glasses, flip flops and a loud shirt. Combine frantic pacing and arm waving with a seated back, legs crossed on the chair in front of you. On completion of the call, look at the Mrs and say "We have to get a new butler". You'll look and sound really cool. Trust me on this.
                      I'm in Santorini at the moment - would this work in Greece?
                      Would it make me look cool here or should I adjust the poolside phone strategy based on poolside location??

                      SK

                      Comment

                      • Wayne
                        Fanatical
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 10899

                        #12
                        I had a really cool moment a number of years ago while doing training for Antarctica at Tekapo Skifield. 3 of us stayed behind to get the Iraquios helicopter (they did offer), waiting around. It didn't come so we had to call the base - they had forgotten us. Some people were curious so I just said I was calling my chopper. 10 min latter there was the farmiliar whoop whoop of an RNZAF Iraquios landing in the car park and we were off with a wave.

                        Comment

                        • speights boy
                          Fanatical
                          • Aug 2008
                          • 7935

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                          10 min latter there was the farmiliar whoop whoop of an RNZAF Iroquois landing in the car park and we were off with a wave.
                          A good read.




                          Comment

                          • Leftette
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2013
                            • 1980

                            #14
                            HA! Wayne, that is very cool. Nice one. SK - depends. From my experience of Santorini, there'll already be a bunch of well-tanned expat English around the pool in speedos (think: Ray Winstone in Sexy Beast) trying their hardest to impress the ladies despite their beer guts and thimbles. However I'd wager none have sat-phones, so yes, I think it might just work. You WILL look cool, my friend. Perhaps one addition might be needed however, to really make you stand out from the try-hard crowd. Order yourself a colourful drink first. Preferably one with umbrellas. A sparkler would be the height of sophistication.

                            Comment

                            • Leftette
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2013
                              • 1980

                              #15
                              And if this is a who's-holiday-is-coolest out-gunning each other thread, then I wonder if my satellite phone will work under a canopy of rainforest in Malaysia, and will such a phone scare off or attract the orangutan, do you think? More importantly, who will I be able to impress at such a destination?

                              Comment

                              Working...