Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Dood, check your inbox

Comment

My Grandparents sold their house on Waimumu Road in Massey in May 2012, 4 double bedrooms, large sunny living areas, 2 kitchens, 3 nice bathrooms, swimming pool, nice backyard etc you get the picture they got $455K for it there were offers of more but they decided on a cash offer. Point is lots of interest in Massey, and lots of really nice brick homes with double bedrooms, big sections etc. The thing with Massey is it's still very up and coming there's good parts and bad parts. I think parts of Massey are still not great but it's a work in progress. I think Massey is great though if you're starting out, it's a good stepping stone into the West Harbour area.

There's proximity to the new Westgate Shopping Centre being built, close to the motorway, and of course nice housing. The only downside to Massey is the schooling, you don't get particularly great schools, but a lot of children in the area make the commute up to Marina View School, or Hobsonville School. As far High Schools there isn't variety Massey High which isn't top of the tops and there is Liston and St. Doms down in Lincoln North which are supposed to be improving. I think that Massey area needs to improve the school situation if it wants to keep driving out the bad and bringing in the good.

Avondale seems to me like it's still in the state housing stage, with high rental percentage. For now as far as value for money goes, Massey would be my pick.

Comment

hi,

I went house hunting in Massey on my last trip. I like the area around Broadfield street. It's between Triangle road and don buck road. Slightly more expensive than don Buck. But better environment and less noisy. Around 400 - 500 k will get you a nice house there.

Comment

I would buy in Massey as well. Just check out the area you are planning to buy in carefully. Learn your market and what your target tenants would be. It if is families, you would be better off buying a house close to schools and etc.

Comment

power lines

Originally posted by NomoneyNotalk View Post
            hi,

I went house hunting in Massey on my last trip. I like the area around Broadfield street. It's between Triangle road and don buck road. Slightly more expensive than don Buck. But better environment and less noisy. Around 400 - 500 k will get you a nice house there.
            Hi NMNT
            Broadfield is very close to the high voltage lines and is in a bit of a gully- some parts don't get alot of all day sun
            Sold signs everywhere in Massey currently

I agree good and bad areas- but solid brick, weatherboard homes on full sites
            Massey high is Decile 5-6. Would be higher but the school is in an area of average socioeconomic living- but this isn't a bad thing- they get more funding for the Govt- they recently built a new performing arts centre and their sports facilities are very good too

Comment

the vendor let me down

Originally posted by GenY View Post
              Hi NMNT
              Broadfield is very close to the high voltage lines and is in a bit of a gully- some parts don't get alot of all day sun
              Sold signs everywhere in Massey currently

I agree good and bad areas- but solid brick, weatherboard homes on full sites
              Massey high is Decile 5-6. Would be higher but the school is in an area of average socioeconomic living- but this isn't a bad thing- they get more funding for the Govt- they recently built a new performing arts centre and their sports facilities are very good too

the house on rathgar road i mentioned earlier was sold to another buyer on the day when the vendor agreed to meet me and sign a privaste sale and purchase for 320k. oh well, plenty more to come!
              http://Www.renopro.nz

Comment

Massey can be nice if you just pick your house right, make sure you see who you might have for neighbours, nothing worse than finding you've just moved into a house let by housing NZ tenants who don't move quickly.

I agree with genY, Broadfield is close to those power lines that have be linked to health problems. A few years ago there was a story about Timandra Place which is off Lilburn Crescent which is very very close to the power lines most of the houses are occupied by housing NZ tenants, but there was a pattern that all the residents in the street were constantly unwell, residents of the street were being treated for cancer and brain tumours for a memory it wasn't just Timandra Place, I think Lilburn was part of the issue along with other parts of Massey.

My recommendation of top streets in Massey would be:
                Waimumu Road, Zita Maria Drive, Donovan Drive, Don Buck, Chamberlin Road, Anich Place, Rehia Road, Parts of Keegan Drive, Chorley Road, Crompton Road, Hartley Terrace, Bellringer Road, parts of Kemp Road, Glenbervie Crescent, Helleur Road, Hewlett Road, parts of Reynella Drive, the first half of Lincoln Park Avenue. There are a few nice places on Dovey Place (off Waimumu Road) that are coming up on the market they're all about 10-12 years old were once all HNZ occupied but now it's becoming nicer.

My recommedation of the streets to stay away from would be:
                parts of Keegan Drive, Lilburn Crescent, lots of Triangle Road, Makora Road (nice housing but packed with cars in the morning, busy etc), the second half of Lincoln Park Ave (lots of power lines and bad sorts of people etc), Timandra Place, Huruhuru Road and the surrounds. The thing with Massey is it's such a mixed bag it depends.

If you can score a house like this in Massey http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...-559428464.htm
                You're on to a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by Dood View Post
                  the house on rathgar road i mentioned earlier was sold to another buyer on the day when the vendor agreed to meet me and sign a privaste sale and purchase for 320k. oh well, plenty more to come!
                  Thanks Dood, that's good buying
                  GenY

Comment

Originally posted by td91 View Post
                    Massey can be nice if you just pick your house right, make sure you see who you might have for neighbours, nothing worse than finding you've just moved into a house let by housing NZ tenants who don't move quickly.

I agree with genY, Broadfield is close to those power lines that have be linked to health problems. A few years ago there was a story about Timandra Place which is off Lilburn Crescent which is very very close to the power lines most of the houses are occupied by housing NZ tenants, but there was a pattern that all the residents in the street were constantly unwell, residents of the street were being treated for cancer and brain tumours for a memory it wasn't just Timandra Place, I think Lilburn was part of the issue along with other parts of Massey.

Waimumu Road, Zita Maria Drive, Donovan Drive, Don Buck, Chamberlin Road, Anich Place, Rehia Road, Parts of Keegan Drive, Chorley Road, Crompton Road, Hartley Terrace, Bellringer Road, parts of Kemp Road, Glenbervie Crescent, Helleur Road, Hewlett Road, parts of Reynella Drive, the first half of Lincoln Park Avenue. There are a few nice places on Dovey Place (off Waimumu Road) that are coming up on the market they're all about 10-12 years old were once all HNZ occupied but now it's becoming nicer.

parts of Keegan Drive, Lilburn Crescent, lots of Triangle Road, Makora Road (nice housing but packed with cars in the morning, busy etc), the second half of Lincoln Park Ave (lots of power lines and bad sorts of people etc), Timandra Place, Huruhuru Road and the surrounds. The thing with Massey is it's such a mixed bag it depends.

If you can score a house like this in Massey http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...-559428464.htm
                    Agree with your good streets td91
                    I live in one of them

Comment

This house on Reynella, the vendor wants high 500. Isn't that a bit expensive? I talked with the agent yesterday.

Comment

The vendor might want much but what they will get offered is a different story. My Grandparents sold a house similar layout on Waimumu Road, but renovated inside out nicely, and had a pool. They got offered up to $470,000 but took a lower offer as it was cash and many others depended on the sale of another house. That was back in May 2012, so I'm not too sure how the market has changed but I don't imagine it has changed all that much.

But high 5's I think is a little bit too much, maybe lower fives, high fours. Never hurts to try an offer.

Comment

Hi,
                          How much less do you think i can get with cash offer? Because i am planning to buy cash this time. So I only want LIM and Builder report
                          thanks

The vendor might want much but what they will get offered is a different story. My Grandparents sold a house similar layout on Waimumu Road, but renovated inside out nicely, and had a pool. They got offered up to $470,000 but took a lower offer as it was cash and many others depended on the sale of another house. That was back in May 2012, so I'm not too sure how the market has changed but I don't imagine it has changed all that much.

But high 5's I think is a little bit too much, maybe lower fives, high fours. Never hurts to try an offer.

Comment

I'm really not overly sure but depending on the vendors circumstances the reality of a cash offer could motivate them. I'm assuming you're talking about the Reynella Drive house when I say this also.

If I were going into it I would start with a lower offer of $450K, see what the response is. I wouldn't go any higher than $520K

Reality: It's a 3 bedroom house, it's tidy and very liveable but it hasn't been freshly renovated, it's more than above you're average 3 beddy in Massey which is selling for $420K and less.

It did sell last in April 2011, try and find out its last sale price and go off that, so that way they make a profit after nearly having it for 2 years and that way you don't get ripped off.

Basically my point is, is that in reality it's a 3 bedroom house in Massey, it's bigger than most 3 bedroom homes in the area, it has double garaging internal access, great entertaining areas etc but it's not worth high $500's

But in answer to your question i think your cash offer could motivate, seeing cash offer meaning ready to go no conditions, drives people up the right way.

Best of luck!

Comment

I'm getting the feeling that Kelston is never an option, but it's actually relatively quick to get to town, or at least no worse than coming from Massey (in my experience). Kelston is a bit rough, but 'technically' closer to the city. With the new motorway going in, is there a good chance this area will increase in value? I'm looking at buying the house I'm living in now and I know I'll get more for my money here than Te Atatu South where I was hoping to buy... but while it has four large rooms and an office, decent sized lounge and nice courtyard, it has very little land. Brick and weatherboard home, needs some inslulation and could certainly be improved although it doesn't NEED anything done as it's been looked after.

I'm just in a bind - do I buy it, or go for a place in Massey that has more land, knowing it will be closer to Westgate. Or do I buy in Kelston and beat the rush. I think most houses in Kelston are sold to investors - very few people want to live here, but this house is very quiet, well back from the street, elevated and with an easy-care section. I need to make a decision quickly as it goes to auction shortly. Any comments or advice appreciated.

Comment

I hope you've been remaining for all the open homes and agent viewings so you have picked up the vibes from interested buyers.

Comment

Working...
                                X