Header Ad Module

Collapse

Purchasing a house leased to Housing NZ - good investment option?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • karenpnz
    Freshie
    • Oct 2011
    • 80

    #1

    Purchasing a house leased to Housing NZ - good investment option?

    I am considering purchasing a house leased to housing nz. Any feedback from investors as to whether this is a good thing or not? As I understand it the rental returns are guaranteed but what I want to know is are there typically problems with tenants? damage to houses? or other things to consider? Any feedback or experiences appreciated!
  • DazRaz
    Addicted
    • Jan 2011
    • 836

    #2
    Search the forum. There are a number of threads on it. Be cautious. HNZ have a history of claiming damage is reasonable wear and tear and treating the property owners like their clients.

    Comment

    • Shane D
      Fanatical
      • May 2008
      • 1047

      #3
      2 reasons I would NEVER consider Housing NZ leased rentals

      - Typically lower than market rent
      - Contract is long term (usually at least 5 yrs). their contracts are also written heavily in their favour and are concrete solid i.e. almost impossible to contract out of.

      someone can correct me if I am wrong, but from my understanding even if you sell the house during the contract period, the new owner has to continue and they CANNOT kick out the NZH tenant (new owner inherits the tenat). This makes it VERY difficult to sell the house as you are limiting your potential buyers to landlords whom are willing to take on a NZH rental.

      I for one would run a mile. What is the piont of owning a rental with no control.

      Shane
      Last edited by Shane D; 03-07-2012, 06:53 PM.

      Comment

      • karenpnz
        Freshie
        • Oct 2011
        • 80

        #4
        Yes must admit I would struggle to be convinced that a government agency could do an efficient job at running a rental property and I don't fancy the lack of control either.

        Comment

        • Keys
          Fanatical
          • Nov 2006
          • 6062

          #5
          Don't do it.
          https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/i...ilies/lock.gif

          Comment

          • Kaye
            Forum Junkie
            • Aug 2010
            • 283

            #6
            Exactly what Keys said Don't do it you'll regret it big time!
            Kaye
            www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

            Comment

            • speights boy
              Fanatical
              • Aug 2008
              • 7935

              #7
              Housing NZ Owners & Landlords. 382 likes · 1 talking about this. Created as a forum for landlords in NZ

              Comment

              Working...