Header Ad Module

Collapse

First property

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • samishiv
    Freshie
    • May 2012
    • 14

    #1

    First property

    I have been looking for my first property since nov last year and since then seen the same property being put on the market 6 months later for 80k extra and being sold. I just wanted to see what everyone elses opinions are. I have seen a house which i love and would be a great family home for years to come which is at the top end of my budget. Im not sure if i should just go all out initially and have a decent house or should i start small and get to my dream house in 10 - 15 years and accumulating an extra couple of properties? Factoring in im 27 and getting married next year. Its a huge step getting the first mortgage so thought id get all the advice i can
  • eri
    Fanatical
    • Sep 2008
    • 7621

    #2
    where in nz?

    where in auckland?
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

    Comment

    • davtam
      Opinionated
      • Apr 2012
      • 100

      #3
      It's your ideal property now, but how about in 5-10 years? You may well have kids then - is it a good house for kids? The point is that needs change over time, and your house requirements change as well.

      I read once that Kiwi's change houses every 7 years on average, and IMO your first home is just that - your first home. Get something a bit cheaper, get on the ladder, build up your equity and them make your next move.


      What ever you do, don't over extend yourself

      Comment

      • samishiv
        Freshie
        • May 2012
        • 14

        #4
        yea I am in auckland. Yea it will be a good house for kids but you make a fair point, i dont know what my "ideal" house will be in 5 - 10 years time

        Comment

        • mrsaneperson
          Fanatical
          • Jan 2012
          • 2289

          #5
          I guess the golden rule is dont bite off more than you can chew. "Sleep easy" at night knowing you can afford to pay off the mortgage with the "less than a dream home" situation, and less grey hair coming early.

          Comment

          • DBrown
            Freshie
            • May 2012
            • 97

            #6
            What part of AK?
            ...there's no future in working

            Comment

            • Harvey
              Opinionated
              • Jun 2011
              • 158

              #7
              You could look at other options like flat mates, or by the house you want and rent it out, live somewhere cheaper then move into the property in a few years time when you are ready.

              Comment

              • Wayne
                Fanatical
                • Jun 2004
                • 10899

                #8
                Buy a house you can afford so you are actively paying down the mortgage. Get flatmates in to pay down even more. Add value by modernising it (Kitchen, bathroom etc - doing the work yourself if you can so long as you keep the quality up). When I started I was paying a 20yr mortgage at a rate to pay it off in 15yrs (huge saving in interest). Of course I never did pay it off because I sold the place well before 15yrs but had so much more capital.

                If you mortgage to the max you may find the mortgage becomes a burden and you feel you can't get ahead.

                Comment

                • Toasty
                  Opinionated
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 193

                  #9
                  Potentially find a place that would make a good rental. Move in yourself and build equity as fast as you can. Pay down the loan and improve the property. When its time to move on find another property that is slightly better but that would still be a good rental. Sell your original property to another structure LTC/Trust/LLC... and releverage to 100% and transfer the equity to your new home. Rent out first property. Properties will be cross collateralised initially.

                  Rinse and repeat. Make sure that you run all this through an accountant!

                  Comment

                  • drelly
                    Fanatical
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 5838

                    #10
                    Buy my place, live in the studio and fill the rest up with doctors and nurses! It's what I'd do if I were single!
                    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

                    Comment

                    • Craig Pope Mortgages
                      Forum Junkie
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 267

                      #11
                      What an exciting time, like others I believe you should go in at the mid range of your budget but buy something you can add value to and a property that will be potentially attractive to buyers when you come to trade up.

                      Buying an average home now that can be made into a smart home later will give you that extra kick when it comes to climbing the property ladder.
                      Craig PopeCraig Pope Mortgages & Insurance
                      www.craigpope.co.nz

                      Comment

                      • samishiv
                        Freshie
                        • May 2012
                        • 14

                        #12
                        thanks everyone for your input. Ill let everyone know what i end up doing

                        Comment

                        Working...