Header Ad Module

Collapse

New to property investments, looking for advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • madyellowmonkey
    Freshie
    • Feb 2012
    • 2

    #1

    New to property investments, looking for advice

    Hi all,
    I've got a owner occupied property with a CV of 590k, have about 150k left to pay on a revolving credit type mortgage (200k limit) and a pretty reasonable salary and family size.

    A few of my friends have been suggesting that I use the equity in my home to start looking at buying investment properties.

    I have just started to trawl through property listings and sites such as this and landlords.co.nz.

    I guess what I am looking for now is advice for a complete beginner and maybe a few prods in the right direction for places that I could read and or learn by myself before venturing out into the market.

    Cheers in advance!
  • TheLiberalLeft
    Banned
    • Aug 2010
    • 2630

    #2
    It boils down, initially, to two important questions, followed by a series of smaller more specific ones...

    1. How risk-averse are you?
    2. What do you want to achieve?

    Comment

    • TheLiberalLeft
      Banned
      • Aug 2010
      • 2630

      #3
      Or, if you're Bernard Hickey or Mr Morgan, DON'T BE STUPID. Take a look at this lovely share-investment advice instead.

      Comment

      • mortgage broker
        Fanatical
        • Mar 2008
        • 1245

        #4
        Keep your gearing below 60% if you are looking into investing for the long haul. If you have a lot of time look for cash flow neutral or positive properties.
        Hamish Patel | ph: 09 625 4693 | mob: 021 625 693
        My Website
        Be informed - register for our free monthly newsletter

        Comment

        • NovInvestor
          Addicted
          • Jul 2010
          • 983

          #5
          Originally posted by madyellowmonkey View Post
          Hi all,
          I've got a owner occupied property with a CV of 590k, have about 150k left to pay on a revolving credit type mortgage (200k limit) and a pretty reasonable salary and family size.

          A few of my friends have been suggesting that I use the equity in my home to start looking at buying investment properties.

          I have just started to trawl through property listings and sites such as this and landlords.co.nz.

          I guess what I am looking for now is advice for a complete beginner and maybe a few prods in the right direction for places that I could read and or learn by myself before venturing out into the market.

          Cheers in advance!

          If you don't want to pay for mistakes down the line, and get to where you want faster, get a quality property coach on your team.

          The only coach I recommend is Ron Hoy Fong.

          Comment

          • TheLiberalLeft
            Banned
            • Aug 2010
            • 2630

            #6
            Do not underestimate the value of a good property manager.

            Comment

            • Harvey
              Opinionated
              • Jun 2011
              • 158

              #7
              @madyellowmonkey where in NZ are you?
              What life stage are you at?
              What are your investment goals?
              What is your investment time horizon?

              You have a excellent foundation to start from. Using the equity in your house you will be able to 100% finance the purchase of your properties

              Comment

              • Harvey
                Opinionated
                • Jun 2011
                • 158

                #8
                Join your local property investors association.

                APIA are doing a couple of good seminars about investing in Auckland this month.

                Comment

                • madyellowmonkey
                  Freshie
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 2

                  #9
                  Hey Harvey,

                  I'm in Auckland, have children am mid 30's with a decent salary.

                  I'm not risk adverse so long as the family home was safe.

                  I guess I'm looking to reach out and increase my general wealth, in the future I'd like to say I'm only working because I feel like it not for any other reason.

                  Comment

                  Working...