Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting up Gib Board Over Center Blocks in Units

Hey guys,

Do you think it adds value to line a unit with Gib board if it has centre blocks showing in the living/bed rooms.

How much would this cost?

does look much better when done well
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

Yes did this recently and it looks much better. Not sure how much value it would add though unless there are huge amounts of block showing.

The cost would depend on the method - you can fix the gib directly to the concrete block or build a frame and then fix on top. You could price it up yourself, the nails for fixing the gib to the concrete are the largest cost and set me back around $400 on the last job. Forgot what type of nails I was using and from memory just work out the amount of gib by dividing your room perimeter by 1.2m.

Comment

I did this on a rental a looong time ago - Yes it looks much better. Nailed 25mm framing directly to the concrete blocks with concrete nails and placed polysterene insulation between the framing and then glued and screwed the Gib over the whole lot.
        I used insulation as it was a common wall between units and I wanted some insulation sound and thermal.

Comment

I would recommend putting up 20mm wooden batten bracing, but consider this....

Assume a 64m2 flat. On average, that's a square 8m x 8m (assuming all external walls are block). For the purposes of this example, I'm excluding any floor-to-ceiling feature that's not a wall - ie doors and ranchsliders.

If you use 20mm battens and 12mm gib, that's .032m, multiplied by the 4 8m walls, and you lose just over ONE square metre of floor space.

Comment

I've done both strapping & lining as well as glued gib directly onto blockwork (not the same house, though). It makes a huge difference. Glue will only work if the wall is clean & dry (ie. does not retain soil on the outside). If it does retain, line first with builders plastic, then strap with timber battens.

Comment

Is there any problems with condensation forming inside the wall?

Comment

Not if you can't see it!

Comment

Working...
                X