No announcement yet.

Please reality-check my "retirement plan"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He/she will practically be living the lifestyle of a monk. Surely the options above will allow one to comfortably do that.
    Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

Bear in mind that if you are not working and presumably not sitting and looking at a spot on the wall all day, then you will be doing something else.

This 'something else' is likely to clock up dollars.

Comment

or earning a little at some kind of job

or

if growing your own vegies, herbs

tomatoes and basil

brewing your own beer?

baking your own pizza

saving a little

by spending a little less
        have you defeated them?
        your demons

Comment

or sitting at a computer all day.

That's a thought - TANSTAAFL, check the broadband speed before you settle anywhere.

Comment

And if you can actually get a connection, there are no ports avaliable for my house. Ended up getting mobile broadband.

Comment

I am still following this thread and considering all the feedback I've received. Radically far apart opinions on whether or not this is possible for me at this time. My overall impression is that I am probably on the edge of it being viable, though maybe I should try to save a little more, and maybe by then the exchange rate will be more favorable.

I would like to hear more about the pros/cons of stand-alone family homes vs. cheap Auckland apartments vs. a block of flats. Generally, should one type offer a better rate of return? Browsing properties online, using quoted rents, none appear particularly more advantageous. Rate of return being equal, it seems less risky legally to choose property I am completely in control of.

Not being too familiar with NZ, it's hard to know which of these small cheap towns are still growing, and which are dying. I have been focusing on those with universities and hospitals, figuring they're a safe bet. Any other areas I should look at with very cheap but reliable rentals? Of my initial targets, is there a good reason Wanganui was ignored in favor of Invercargill? Wanganui has similarly priced stock and a much better climate, which should translate into fewer tenant complaints about the insulation of older NZ homes.
              Last edited by TANSTAAFL; 20-01-2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Tans, despite being 'desparate' to get out of your industry, at 35 I doubt you're ready for retirement. You've done really well to accrue this level of wealth early in life (by NZ standards anyway) so congratulations. It sounds to me like you need to take a few months off your current job to find your headspace, perhaps wander the earth a little. If you're considering moving back to NZ to live, come back for an extended holiday. Perhaps do some volunteer work, do some unpaid work as an 'intern' in the kind of industries or businesses that interest you.

Before you cash up all your worldy possessions perhaps set aside some cash for this purpose & see whether the lifestyle actually suits you before you jump in with both feet.

Also, the calculations above have assumed that you will not be earning for the rest of your life and I find this highly unlikely. You have another 30+ of productive time ahead of you.

Comment

Yes the smaller towns are always more affordable...for me though, and I have lived all over NZ for the past 15 years, usually 3-6 months in a variety of places for my job, I certainly wouldn't be lining up to live in Wanganui or Invercargill.
                  No offence to those that do live there but Tans you really want to go and spend a couple of weeks in those places and a few more to see what suits you best....
                  I would think of what hobbies or sports I want to pursue and see what offers the best for me...
                  Good luck with the retirement..

Comment

Appreciating that everyone is trying to be helpful, but all I'm asking for is practical applicable knowledge from locals with experience I lack, not psychological advice from those who don't fully appreciate what an autistic spectrum diagnosis means.

I would view solitary confinement as a reward rather than a punishment, and if I could get books and an internet connection in the cell then I'd be tempted to do something to get myself locked up immediately; except I'm sure the place would still be too noisy to bear, and they probably use those florescent lights that give me migraines.

The suggestion I get involved in sports is comical, since I've never been able to comprehend what moving a ball around achieves or why it matters which side wins. The ferocity of emotion that invokes in others looks like frightening insanity to me.

Before teaching myself programming, I was fired from several jobs, for vaguely stated reasons that seemed to have nothing to do with performing the tasks I was being paid for. I understand something about my nature makes others uncomfortable, and after decades of practice I can compensate somewhat, but faking body language, facial expressions, vocal intonations, and remembering to make all the correct social responses is exhausting and I cant keep it up indefinitely. Eventually the mask falls off and people start to notice something is strange about me, and they react very negatively to it.

Despite achieving high scores in advanced classes, I was forced to drop out of school due to severe bullying from students, and unsympathetic teachers, and parents who treated me like a problem child even though I never did any of the stupid things typical children/teenagers do.

I struggle to sort words when more then one person in the room is talking at the same time, or find the important points amongst the purposeless chatter of "small talk". I always end up saying something inappropriate because I am wired for honesty and accuracy, when diplomacy usually comes first for others. Insincerity is offensive to me, while others see it as an essential virtue and lie (even if by omission) all day long. For example, it makes me angry when a cashier asks "How are you?", when they don't care and don't really want an accurate answer. It feels like an unfair situation where often unless I lie, I'm the weirdo. And that is just the simplest scenario so you can imagine all the trouble I get into in more complex social situations. Certainly rules out a career in sales or anything involving customer service.

Communicating over the internet is easier, but not without peril, and I have difficulty predicting if this post will make useful responses more likely, or derail the topic completely.

Comment

with all the new info

my tweaked advice would be

buy as many cheap apartments in central auckland as you can afford, cash

use a pm to manage them

do your own thing from a bolthole somewhere within a few hours bus/train ride from auckland

between tenancies move into the apartments to clean them, paint them etc as needed

then catch bus back to bolthole
                      Last edited by eri; 22-01-2012, 03:52 PM.
                      have you defeated them?
                      your demons

Comment

Fair enough.....although my "sports and hobbies" was something I would factor in for myself if I were making the decision to move to another country and didn't really know the layout...
                        I would not claim to know what you are interested in.....as I don't know you at all, merely an attempt to get the brain thinking of outside interests if any at all...

Still think you need to go and have a couple of weeks there though...

Good luck with the retirement...

Comment

here you go tans

Find your dream home in New Zealand with Trade Me. Browse our full range of NZ real estate listings to discover the perfect property for families, couples and s...
                          have you defeated them?
                          your demons

Comment

Tans: I with interest have skimmed all the posts. The key with PI in NZ ( For you) would be having a very competent property manager who also understands Aspergers. As one other has said maybe PI isn't the best option for you? The other thing I would ask you to consider is moving to NZ a good idea? I am an expat, and have been away from NZ for 12 years. Every time I visit I find NZ a little more strange and uncomfortable. Thats not because there is anything wrong with NZ rather my frame of reference and expectations have changed. You are doing the right thing asking questions It may well be that you need to look at other investment options and do a comparison. The cons of PI may be off putting until you look at the cons of other options
                            The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

Comment

Working...
                            X