Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Piles a big deal ? Is Borer a big deal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Piles a big deal ? Is Borer a big deal ?

Hi

I've had a property inspector view a property me and my partner are considering to buy.

The inspection has said two of the front Piles have rotted away - this is also evident by the front bedroom slightly sloping down.

He doesn't think this is a big deal and says it will cost around $200 each to fix.

The property also has borer this too has been noted as minor issue (although some panels have been eaten).

We will get the experts in but to me Piles and Borer are a big deal right isn't this a major issue with any property and have buyers experienced the same ?

Thanks FeverPitch

Repiling is not a major provided you use an experienced contractor. It is likely the house will have to be jacked to level it out so I would say the $200 is probably a bit optimistic. That would cover just repiling, even then I suspect probably for a large number of piles, doing just 2 will increase the unit costs.

Comment

Piles can be annoying. An injection solves the problem, but the tool used to get the needle in there can be more than a little uncomfortable if you're not used to that sort of thing. Trust me on that.

Comment

How much does borer treatment cost?
        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Just keep off the cold concrete ... maybe sit on a pillow and you should be fine

Comment

from reading up on this people tend to use a Bug bomb but specific companies advice using this and go with their methods - which I need to investigate further.

Yes Bull Dog I thought $200 each was a little overoptimistic.

Comment

A bit of borer in the weatherboards, no prob. A lot of borer in the framing, not so good.

Have a look in the roof space and see if the beams are borer ridden. Ditto under the floor.

Comment

Age of the house? Any wooden house built before the mid-1940s will have (or have had) borer.

Comment

the property is 1920's . I didn't know it was such an extensive problem. The larve can be there for 2 to 3 years.

Comment

That's why treated timber was bought in from the late 1940s.
                    Get a quote from one of the borer treatment companies to fumigate the house before you move in - don't muck around with amateur treatments.
                    I bought a 1920s with borer 30 years ago, first thing I did was to get it treated.
                    No problems from borer since.

Comment

Great advice thanks Flyernzl - it does sound like a problem that could last on and on so a proper treatment sounds like the best way to go.

nice FeverP

Comment

Working...
                      X