Positively Geared Property and Depreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positively Geared Property and Depreciation

When people say "cashflow positive" and "positively geared" does this mean before or after depreciation?
    "You’re neither right nor wrong because other people agree with you. You’re right because your facts are right and your reasoning is right"

Newsflash ENP - as of Apr 1 this year, depreciation doesn't exist. So I'll let you guess.

Comment

Depends if they are trying to sell you an off the plan apartment or not ;-)

It can mean either, so its' best to ask if you're hanging a financial decision off the numbers.

I have always worked my own feasibility numbers pre-tax (ie without depreciation), and then treated the tax return as a handy lump to put towards the next project.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumpin View Post
        Newsflash ENP - as of Apr 1 this year, depreciation doesn't exist. So I'll let you guess.
        Why? I understood it was on the house. Not the chattles.

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Indeed, chattles still depreciate.

Comment

Depreciation is a non-cash item so it does not effect cash-flow.
            NZ Tax fixed fee accounting, we are an online accounting practice. Our integration with Xero and our unique approach provides provides superior value to our clients.

Comment

When people say "cashflow positive" and "positively geared" does this mean before or after depreciation?
              The True interpretation IMHO is after all expenses the property Gives you Cash flow ($$) for "Cash flow positive".

For "positive geared" means Rent is covering mortgage payment.
              New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
              FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
              CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Comment

So I've done some rough numbers and 8% yields with 20% cash deposit just basically breaks even. Does that sound right to you?
                "You’re neither right nor wrong because other people agree with you. You’re right because your facts are right and your reasoning is right"

Comment

So I've done some rough numbers and 8% yields with 20% cash deposit just basically breaks even. Does that sound right to you?
                  It depend on the on going Expense component of the particular property, Best put it in a spreadsheet and play with the numbers.
                  New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
                  FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
                  CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Comment

Originally posted by ENP View Post
                    As stated above, Depn is a non cash item so does not effect cashflow. Positively geared is more vague. I would probably do it on a all expenses basis (ie. incl depn) otherwise it is the same as cashflow positive.

The key is not whether it meets a defination but whether it gives you a profit, whether that be cashflow it that is what you are going for or capital gains, or ideally both.

When useing a deposit, dont forget the opportunity cost. Say you use $20k as a deposit, remember you are forgoing $1000 (ie. at 5% interest at a bank) so what ever you do, it has to do better than that (to compensate for risk).

Comment

I would base my numbers with 0% deposit, ie 100% finance.

Comment

Originally posted by NovInvestor View Post
                        I would base my numbers with 0% deposit, ie 100% finance.
                        Agree as that incorporates a return on the amount of deposit you put in.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin McCandless View Post
                          Indeed, chattles still depreciate.

Indeed they do. Then you have to replace them. So if you are relying on chattels depreciation to maintain a +ve cashflow, then you will find out soon enough you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Comment

Originally posted by ENP View Post
                            These words mean totally different things to different people.

A property someone has had for 10 years which now has a 30% LVR will be cash flow positive for them, but probably not for me buying today with 80% LVR. Or my expenses may be more - I may love renovating to extremely high standards while you maintain to stop the building falling down.

Work out what your bottom line is, which will be different to other peoples but will make it work for you and use that. If your projected cashflow shows a profit at the end of 12 months, that's great. If not you need to check very carefully that you can fund the deficit.

What difference does it make if you find an exact definition, then go broke?

Comment

Originally posted by Tan View Post
                              These words mean totally different things to different people.
                              I completely agree. Who knows how some of these ratios are concocted, there
                              are no reliable rules. If you're buying for long term, just use your noggin and work out a few "what if" scenarios, using conservative inputs. What would happen if current interest rates double, for instance, would you be wiped out? If so, wouldn't you be over-extending?
                              As Robin McCandless suggested in another post, not going broke is the big priority, then giving it time will do the rest, although he said it better (can't find his post, sorry).

Comment

Working...
                              X