Header Ad Module

Collapse

Shipping Containers converted to Student Flat

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Shane D
    Fanatical
    • May 2008
    • 1047

    #1

    Shipping Containers converted to Student Flat

    PTers,

    One could cheaply convert a 20ft shipping container into self-contained student flat, fully gibb lined with roof, insulation, siding, bathroom, kitchenette and small living room area. My question is would any Auckland City councils allow this kind of accommodation to be classed as a minor dwelling?

    As a 20ft shipping container is only 14.80 sqm, I was thinking of putting 4 of these units side-by-side. 4 units would still come slightly under the 60sqm minor dwelling maximum size.

    In a high demand student area you could potentially get $150 a week or more for each self-contained unit. And the build cost would be cheap as you don't need a concrete foundation, and the build would be the cost of the recycled shipping container, plus building costs, transport and crane to move the containers into place.

    In Europe these kinds of shipping container housig projects are going on in large scale. I have included a link to some examples http://www.tempohousing.com/. I am not suggesting for a minute that large scale would work in NZ but 4 units slightly under 60 sqm seems like a good idea to me.

    I am sure I'm missing some critical roadblocks that will stop this idea in its tracks. THAT'S WHY I am putting this idea up for PTers to pick it apart.

    Thanks in advance.

    Shane D
  • alhoon
    Forum Junkie
    • May 2005
    • 264

    #2
    Difficult, time-consuming and expensive: these are words that are commonly associated with interior design. Not anymore with Storables! Hop on board the #cottagecore trend, be blown away by our array of English kitchens, add a touch of whimsical using tiny fairy lights and more. Whether you’re...


    No problem but I think bring it up to council requirements many cost a bit.

    Allan

    Comment

    • Mason
      Freshie
      • Jul 2009
      • 2

      #3
      I have got a little information, it may or may not be of some help.

      Email me if you are interested
      [email protected]

      Matt

      Comment

      • brendan
        Forum Junkie
        • Jul 2006
        • 301

        #4
        I heard somewhere you could stack them 5 containers high without a permit. Not so sure if it's true.

        Comment

        • AndyB
          Opinionated
          • May 2005
          • 162

          #5
          Had a kids camp made of these in Korea. The place was called Sea Land. In '99 a fire broke out when everyone was sleeping - there was a huge fire and 18 kids and some teachers burned to death.
          Who'd have thought containers could burn. It was something to do with the insulation material catching alight. But burn it did, flames as well as smoke.

          Last edited by AndyB; 03-12-2009, 10:58 AM.

          Comment

          • brettc
            Opinionated
            • Nov 2007
            • 166

            #6
            IMHO I wouldnt think it would fly as described. At 14.8 sqm you wouldnt be allowed a kitchenete and would need to provide seperate kitchen, lounge (and prob toilet facilites). You could provide these in a container as well of course. Might work better as an additional ensuite bedroom to an existing dwelling.

            You reckon there is much saving? about $1000/sqm plus services and foundations I thought.

            Comment

            • Shane D
              Fanatical
              • May 2008
              • 1047

              #7
              40 ft container student flat example in video

              Here is a video showing the layout of a 40 ft container converted to student flat. This is twice the size of a 20ft so I think you could possible get $200 a week for something similiar in Auckland.

              The Flat layout starts 1min 15 secs into the video (sorry its in Dutch)



              I am planning to get the units manufactured in Taiwan and then ship to NZ. To purchase and ship a 40 foot container from Taiwan to NZ is approx $5,000 NZD. Labour costs in Taiwan are a fraction of the cost in NZ so that would allow me to recover the shipping cost.

              My biggest concern is would Auckland councils allow this minor dwellling setup????

              I will be moving back to Auck in January so I will be investigating more indepth then. I just thought I would ask for the collective PT wisdom first.

              Shane D

              Comment

              • Shane D
                Fanatical
                • May 2008
                • 1047

                #8
                Originally posted by brettc View Post
                IMHO I wouldnt think it would fly as described. At 14.8 sqm you wouldnt be allowed a kitchenete and would need to provide seperate kitchen, lounge (and prob toilet facilites). You could provide these in a container as well of course. Might work better as an additional ensuite bedroom to an existing dwelling.

                You reckon there is much saving? about $1000/sqm plus services and foundations I thought.
                brettc,

                Now that is an idea I had not thought about. Bedroom additional to an existing house using a shipping container.

                Regarding cost saving. Yes there is substantial cost savings over traditional stick building as you are buying the basic structure (container) for around $2,000.

                Comment

                • Shane D
                  Fanatical
                  • May 2008
                  • 1047

                  #9
                  Another example

                  Another shipping container student flat example. Although I am not so keen on the bare walls. I prefer to gibb line the inside walls.

                  And the stove would not be permissble in NZ. For NZ i would think a microwave and plug in hotplate would be the way to go.

                  Last edited by Shane D; 03-12-2009, 12:54 PM. Reason: youtube embeeded link was not working

                  Comment

                  • ambitious
                    Freshie
                    • Dec 2007
                    • 58

                    #10
                    I know that in Manukau, the requirement is at least 600m2 land to have a monor dwelling, and a max of 2 dwellings on 800m2. Therefore,I am not sure whether the return would be justofoed on a smaller dwelling, or, maximising the 60m2 allowed floor space for MDU as a 3 beddie to get best yields for best ROI....might work as sleepouts, however will be subject to MCC requirements

                    Comment

                    • Shane D
                      Fanatical
                      • May 2008
                      • 1047

                      #11
                      minor dwelling and sleepout -- what is the difference

                      Originally posted by ambitious View Post
                      I know that in Manukau, the requirement is at least 600m2 land to have a monor dwelling, and a max of 2 dwellings on 800m2. Therefore,I am not sure whether the return would be justofoed on a smaller dwelling, or, maximising the 60m2 allowed floor space for MDU as a 3 beddie to get best yields for best ROI....might work as sleepouts, however will be subject to MCC requirements
                      Ambitious

                      What is the offical difference between a minor dwelling and a sleepout??

                      Thanks for the MCC info.

                      Shane D

                      Comment

                      • ambitious
                        Freshie
                        • Dec 2007
                        • 58

                        #12
                        MDU - minor dwelling unit is a completely separate dwelling with own services and separate power and water,,,,section size needs to be at least 600m2, there are set guidelines for the 60m2 floor space, and contributions apply (around 50% of full subdivision)...this can be let out legally, and covered by ins etc, has full kitchen, bathrm, toilet

                        Sleepout - normally a garage conversion, does need consent etc, however contribution costs does not apply. Kitchen is not allowed, and council insists that this cannot be separately let....if illegally done, council can impose fines and ask to remove....normally used as extra brm

                        Comment

                        • Shane D
                          Fanatical
                          • May 2008
                          • 1047

                          #13
                          Originally posted by ambitious View Post
                          MDU - minor dwelling unit is a completely separate dwelling with own services and separate power and water,,,,section size needs to be at least 600m2, there are set guidelines for the 60m2 floor space, and contributions apply (around 50% of full subdivision)...this can be let out legally, and covered by ins etc, has full kitchen, bathrm, toilet

                          Sleepout - normally a garage conversion, does need consent etc, however contribution costs does not apply. Kitchen is not allowed, and council insists that this cannot be separately let....if illegally done, council can impose fines and ask to remove....normally used as extra brm
                          Ambitious,

                          Thanks for the explanation brother.

                          Sleepout = no kitchen and less council conscents and $$$ contributions
                          Minor dwelling/granny flat = big $$$ and hassle from council

                          BTW
                          I found a couple fo videos of exactly the kind of shipping container design I was thinking of building into student flats





                          Shane D

                          Comment

                          • brendan
                            Forum Junkie
                            • Jul 2006
                            • 301

                            #14
                            Originally posted by ambitious View Post
                            Sleepout - normally a garage conversion, does need consent etc, however contribution costs does not apply. Kitchen is not allowed, and council insists that this cannot be separately let....
                            Is there a difference between being separately let and renting room by room? I'm guessing it has something to do with access to common areas (eg, kitchen, bathroom etc)

                            Comment

                            • ambitious
                              Freshie
                              • Dec 2007
                              • 58

                              #15
                              I would thnk that renting by the room should be fine (if a sleepout is used), however, issue is also whether the sleepout is permitted. If not permitted, you should not be letting the space. You can do renting by the room in any dwelling, however, personally, the hassle of rents, cleaning, tenants vacating, their internal issues etc etc. is not worth it for me. I know that it has been done....but, key thing is to ensure you comply with all the legal regulations.

                              Comment

                              Working...