Hi, this is my first post on this forum.
By way of very quick background the wife and I are looking to buy our first IP in the next 6-12 months (we actually also own 1/3 of one in Paraparaumu, bought in late 2002 with her family) but this next one will be the first one we buy on our own. I intend for our strategy to be simple, P&I (maybe until I learn more about interest only), non-greedy, buy and hold. Haven't clearly defined a plan yet, but the rough idea is to have about 20-30 modest rentals in 20-30 years time.
We both grew up around Paremata and I'm wondering what people think of the umm, poorer areas, of Lower Hutt as the prices seem to be right at the moment. We don't have alot of knowledge of these areas. Took a quick drive through Taita on the weekend and that's about it ...
There seem to be some houses on the market right now in Taita, Stokes Valley and Wainui where the asking price is about $200k and maybe a few of them will go for around $150k-$180k. Hopefully the rent on at least some of them could be around $280-$320pw.
Is there anyone who owns IPs in these areas who could say something about how it's been going? Does anyone who doesn't, have anything to say about it?
Are there any other areas we should be looking at? Interested in Paraparaumu as we have a bit of experience up there already.
Am I right in thinking that the seemingly magical $100pw rent per $50k invested has been a bit hard to come by (for newly purchased houses anyway) lately, but is slowly starting to come back at the moment?
Cheers all, look forward to the replies.
Julian.
By way of very quick background the wife and I are looking to buy our first IP in the next 6-12 months (we actually also own 1/3 of one in Paraparaumu, bought in late 2002 with her family) but this next one will be the first one we buy on our own. I intend for our strategy to be simple, P&I (maybe until I learn more about interest only), non-greedy, buy and hold. Haven't clearly defined a plan yet, but the rough idea is to have about 20-30 modest rentals in 20-30 years time.
We both grew up around Paremata and I'm wondering what people think of the umm, poorer areas, of Lower Hutt as the prices seem to be right at the moment. We don't have alot of knowledge of these areas. Took a quick drive through Taita on the weekend and that's about it ...
There seem to be some houses on the market right now in Taita, Stokes Valley and Wainui where the asking price is about $200k and maybe a few of them will go for around $150k-$180k. Hopefully the rent on at least some of them could be around $280-$320pw.
Is there anyone who owns IPs in these areas who could say something about how it's been going? Does anyone who doesn't, have anything to say about it?
Are there any other areas we should be looking at? Interested in Paraparaumu as we have a bit of experience up there already.
Am I right in thinking that the seemingly magical $100pw rent per $50k invested has been a bit hard to come by (for newly purchased houses anyway) lately, but is slowly starting to come back at the moment?
Cheers all, look forward to the replies.
Julian.



Comment