Header Ad Module

Collapse

Power pylons - what would you consider a safe distance?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • utopian201
    Freshie
    • Mar 2008
    • 67

    #1

    Power pylons - what would you consider a safe distance?

    I searched previous threads here and the general feeling about power pylons (the large metal overhead ones) is negative. Being close to a power pylon makes the property harder to sell as well as rent out.

    I'm looking at getting a house which is about 100m (closest corner of the property) (or about 150m if you are in the furthest corner of the house) away from power pylons. Is that far enough? (for medical safety as well as holding value?)
  • Green Fish
    Fanatical
    • Apr 2008
    • 2074

    #2
    There is NO evidence to support the proposition that high-voltage power cables cause cancer. In fact, when you get your MRI to test for cancer, you are subjected to a far greater magnetic field in that 15 minutes than you will ever get from a power cable in your whole lifetime (which is why they ask whether you are carrying a pen, or whether you have any metallic implants.)

    So it's just a pervasive urban myth, which means that there is no difference between 100m and 200m, or 10,000m and 20,000m.

    Comment

    • tricky
      Fanatical
      • Dec 2004
      • 1127

      #3
      Never-the-less, being close to power pylons makes a house harder to sell and rent.
      So why do it?
      Why limit potential capital gain and restrict the tenant pool?

      Comment

      • mattnz
        Forum Junkie
        • Apr 2008
        • 342

        #4
        My first property was near high voltage lines. The lines ran over the back of the property, (just the edge of the land on a 700sqm block) but the nearest pylon was about 100m away. I got a significant discount when I purchased, but also had to offer a significant discount when I sold. I owned it from 1999 to 2005, purchasing for $135k and selling for $235k.

        When I purchased, the same house the next street over would have been worth $190k, and would have sold later for $300k.

        On a % terms basis I didn't miss out and was able to achieve a similar rental return (approx $250 per week) to those the next street over without any tenancy issues. When I bought, the house had been on the market for 6 months without an offer, so I got it significantly cheaper than advertised. The GV that came out the next month was $20k more than I paid for it. It sold again in 2005 within 2 months but in a stronger market.

        The key is to buy at a great price, and get what you can when you sell. It is more likely to be cashflow positive than other properties nearby that don't have power lines.

        One caveat is that you need to be conscious of media reports from time to time that may impact on the ability to let or sell. 6 months after I sold my property Holmes did a piece on the potential dangers, I would have struggled to sell for a year or so afterwards.

        Also check with the power company that owns the lines in case there are any plans to change where they are located, put them underground etc. If there are plans that the seller isn't aware of it could be a potential goldmine.

        p.s. While I never tried it, I have been told that if you hold a flourescent tube near high voltage wires, apparently it will light up. Perhaps how lit up it is could be used as a reference point of whether you are too close or not.

        Comment

        • asdr
          Freshie
          • Sep 2008
          • 29

          #5
          The current (no pun intended) theory about power lines is that they add an electric charge to pollutant particles which encourage them to stick to the lungs. One study found higher cancer rates in people living closer than 400 metres downwind from high voltage lines. In another study "a 70% increase was found in childhood leukaemia for those living within 200 metres (656 ft) of an overhead transmission line, and a 23% increase for those living between 200 metres (656 ft) and 600 m (1,969 ft)".

          Comment

          • mattnz
            Forum Junkie
            • Apr 2008
            • 342

            #6
            Also forgot the last thing, apparently banks have tightened lending criteria on these. I bought mine in 1999 with a 10% deposit through BNZ. I was later advised when I looked at another property near power lines in 2008 that they required a much higher deposit due to issues with resale. Do some research on bank criteria and keep this in mind, especially if it will cause other potential interested parties troubles trying to get finance. Could make it a really cheap purchase in the current environment.

            Comment

            • whitt
              Fanatical
              • Jun 2005
              • 3922

              #7
              Originally posted by asdr View Post
              The current (no pun intended) theory about power lines is that they add an electric charge to pollutant particles which encourage them to stick to the lungs. One study found higher cancer rates in people living closer than 400 metres downwind from high voltage lines. In another study "a 70% increase was found in childhood leukaemia for those living within 200 metres (656 ft) of an overhead transmission line, and a 23% increase for those living between 200 metres (656 ft) and 600 m (1,969 ft)".
              ASDR
              You beat me to it.
              Just like most some public I also have seen this data. It sounds a completely plausible result and even if only partially true I will err on side of caution.

              Stay clear of the lines, 100m sounds maybe a bit close if it was me.

              Comment

              • Austrokiwi
                Fanatical
                • Dec 2007
                • 2655

                #8
                Originally posted by asdr View Post
                The current (no pun intended) theory about power lines is that they add an electric charge to pollutant particles which encourage them to stick to the lungs. One study found higher cancer rates in people living closer than 400 metres downwind from high voltage lines. In another study "a 70% increase was found in childhood leukaemia for those living within 200 metres (656 ft) of an overhead transmission line, and a 23% increase for those living between 200 metres (656 ft) and 600 m (1,969 ft)".

                Another hypothesis was that the strong electromagnetic fields around the lines were attracting Radon gas: concentrating it in the area of power lines.......The result was "natural" back ground radiation levels increased............areas. It was suggested that areas with greater numbers of windless days were more dangerous, also it matches the downwind effects seen.
                The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

                Comment

                • whitt
                  Fanatical
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 3922

                  #9
                  This is the problem I guess.
                  Whichever theory you go with you have automatically wiped out half your buyers.
                  Is it worth the risk?

                  Comment

                  • Re@der
                    Addicted
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 570

                    #10
                    No it is not worth the risk. A simple test turn on your car radio and go near a high voltage line. Irresepective of health it is interferring with your electrical gear which has to be annoying for tenants.
                    Doug

                    Comment

                    • utopian201
                      Freshie
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 67

                      #11
                      Originally posted by mattnz View Post
                      My first property was near high voltage lines. The lines ran over the back of the property, (just the edge of the land on a 700sqm block) but the nearest pylon was about 100m away.
                      ...
                      The power lines don't come near the property, the pylon is as close as it gets.

                      Thanks for your posts. The property is cross leased anyway, so not as good as freehold, but still acceptable (as long as its not leasehold right?). oh well, will have to keep on searching.

                      Comment

                      • Wayne
                        Fanatical
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 10899

                        #12
                        I would be more concerned that the wires break (recent case) due to poor maintenance and fall on the house.

                        Comment

                        • dandan
                          Addicted
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 563

                          #13
                          I did some work at Transpower a few years ago when there was some Powerline issues in the paper about a group of houses in Auckland which had power lines running through the area. The news was that there was a much higher than normal, level of depression in those who live near the lines. Transpower held seminars for it's staff and guests showing that studies all round the world showed that there was no real conclusion that power lines cause cancer or depression or what ever.
                          I borrowed an electromagnetic monitor and a few of us drove around Wellington to see the different readings in different areas. We found that the level of electromagnetic activity was the same when we were in the car with the motor running, as on the footpath outside the Brooklyn power station, as standing directly under one of the pylons in Brooklyn, as standing 3 feet from a running microwave, and as standing 3 feet from a 10 year old 33inch Mitsubishi diva tv. We achieved much higher level's by using a laptop on our laps or having our feet next to multipoint adapters.
                          We spoke to the Wellington city council who said there were issues with building consents for places about 20m from overhead lines due to some health standards around 10m from the lines.
                          When looking up the ownership of the properties in Auckland with the depression / powerlines issue, we found Housing New Zealand on the title's so I'm guessing it was being on the dole that caused the depression.
                          I don’t believe there are any health issues.
                          Regardless I wouldn't risk bringing up a child near them.
                          I wouldn't buy a house near them either, due to public perception.
                          Last edited by dandan; 23-05-2009, 10:58 PM.

                          Comment

                          • sparxNZ
                            Opinionated
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 166

                            #14
                            on the medical issue - high tension lines can be quite dangerous, I have known two people who lived close to them both of whom had poor health which improved when they moved away.
                            I heard a story about a person receiving a fatal shock from a tin roof in close proximity to HT lines so just out of interest we checked one bloke's roof and sure enough just over 100VAC from one side of his roof to the other.

                            On the issue of resale and tenants, I think if you are basing what you offer for the property on the proximity of the lines then you can expect the person who buys it from you to do the same thing... and I know I wouldn't live next to HT lines, I spend enough time messing about with them at work!

                            Comment

                            • freezinhot
                              Addicted
                              • Oct 2006
                              • 569

                              #15
                              Personally I would stay away from any property near these lines. Why would you take the risk, in any case most peoples perception of power lines in general is not good. Perception is reality, yes you may still buy well near one and get capital gain if sold years later, but this can be done with most good property out there. Why would you take this unessesary risk to your tenants and any potential gains.

                              My thoughts on this.

                              FH

                              Comment

                              Working...