• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic proof house prices are overvalued

Graphic proof house prices are overvalued
    Bernard Hickey
    4:00AM Sunday May 17, 2009
    The Reserve Bank spends an awful lot of time collecting data on the economy and trying to make sense of it. Most is hardly ever seen by the public.
    This data is often buried in long reports that are pored over by economists and few others.
    This data is used indirectly in the decisions made by Governor Alan Bollard on the Official Cash Rate, which everyone does care about.
    But the economists at the Reserve Bank did a fantastic job this week in presenting four sets of data in charts that simply destroy any notion that housing is fairly valued.
    The bank pointed this out in its usual dry language in its half-yearly Financial Stability Report.
    "Despite recent declines, house prices still appear to be somewhat overvalued relative to fundamentals," it said.
    Lower mortgage rates would reduce interest costs, but further house prices falls were needed to cut the multiple of house prices to income to normal levels, it said.
    It then published four charts with almost no further comment, apart from this: "Higher house prices and mortgage payments relative to household disposable income are generally considered to reflect over-valued property prices. Similarly, a wider negative gap between rental yields and mortgage rates may imply over-valuation."
    The implications in these four sets of data are explosive. The mini-rally in activity in the housing market and the stabilisation of prices in March and April suggest property investors and first home buyers believe house prices are reasonable again. These charts say they are wrong.
    The first shows house prices are still more than five times the levels of disposable income, well above the long run average from 1990 to last year of around 3.8 times.
    The second shows mortgage payments to disposable income are still around 40 per cent of disposable income, well above the long run average of 30 per cent.
    Another graph shows that when it comes to the difference between mortgage interest rates and the imputed yield on owner-occupied houses, owner-occupiers have effectively been losing money since 2004.
    Rental property investors have effectively been losing money since 2005.
    Investors only tolerated that because they expected capital gains and were using the losses to reduce their personal tax bills.

Property investors and first-home buyers should look closely at these charts before they borrow any money.

"There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Exactly what I thought. I was completely surprised the Reserve Bank stated that inwards migration and low interest rates would support the housing market, while:

(1) net rental yields are negative implying rental income is nowhere near enough to cover financing costs. Now is a better time and ever to rent than to buy.

(2) housing remains expensive when measured on valuation relative to incomes (price / income) or affordability (mortgage payment / income).

Their claims aren't even substantiated by their own analysis!

A more complete discussion is presented here - sorry, you'll need to copy and paste link as system won't let newbies post links!

nzhouseprices.blogspot.com

Comment

I think prices are still inflated, too. But, we also know that what we talk about is attenuated by the recession we are in ...

I'm pretty glad I bought a rental in 2005. By paying it down as fast as possible the rent now pays for the costs and then some. And I have a little green chunk of Auckland. I'm happy.
      Last edited by AndyB; 17-05-2009, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muppet View Post
        http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/sho...ectid=10572712

Wait.. stop the press. Could exnzpat be right -- yet again?
        Erewhon is still erehwon, I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

http://exnzpat.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yeh, but not as much as share investors, finance company investors, superannuation fund investors or lots of toher sorts of investors and WE STILL HAVE OUR PROPERTIES.
          What have you got left other than your ego?

Comment

Don't mind that people are still buying and selling real estate.

Don't mind that you can now buy quality positively geared property.

IF THE RESERVE BANK ECONOMISTS SAY IT, THEN IT MUST BE TRUE!!!

What a pathetic thing to say, landlords are still collecting rent and making money every day. If property investors really have been losing money, then they will all quit the market, and everyone will be back living in caves.

What they mean is "An investor who bought at the peak of the market and got 100% financing is now in a worse position than before (has lost money)"

Comment

There was a lot of growth from 2005-2007, so they're probably just back to where they started.
              You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Let’s say someone bought 15 rentals before 2005 and that those rentals were valued at $100 each. This is a total outlay of $1500.

Then let’s say the same investor purchased another 15 rentals after 2005, and because of the bubble, they purchased each of these properties at $200 each. A total outlay is $3000

Total current value: 1500 + 3000 = 4500 / 30 houses to find and average = 150 per house

The 150 would represent the current market value of each of the 30 houses. Because, we must assume (this is the point of the example) that all houses purchased after 2005 are overpriced, and prior to 2005, perfectly priced. 15 houses have lost $50 and 15 other houses have gained $50.

If, as the experts say, that we will see a fall of 30% in home values. 4500 x .3 = 1350 therefore 4500 – 1350 = 3150 which, when you divide this value by 30 houses we get $105 per house.

Now, if values fall 40% then things will get very interesting.

4500 x .40 = 1800 therefore 4500 – 1800 = 2700 which, when you divide this value by 30 houses we get $90 per house!

Simple math has a simple solution. Is there a way to maintain your rentals value? Yes. By reducing the number of rentals you own. For example, if you reduce the number rentals from 30 to 18, each house will maintain the inherent value of $150. 2700 (new value) / 18 (houses) = $150 per house.

Does this make sense to you? It sounds simple, but it’s actually not, because the real growth in home values was actually exponential and purchase prices vary from location to location and style of house. But, essentially, the above example is a pretty straight forward example of what is happening.

Many of you have actually figured this out without actually thinking about it and you are already selling off your houses.

Out of financial necessity you are actually following the simple pattern that the market is dictating.
                Last edited by exnzpat; 19-05-2009, 03:16 PM. Reason: Corrected the error of 2025 to 1800. My bad! Sorry for the confusion WB
                Erewhon is still erehwon, I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

http://exnzpat.blogspot.com/

Comment

expatnz I admit I am not good at maths which is why I find your example confusing so my apologies, I just find it hard to get my head around how going from $200 to $105 is a drop of 30%, or $200 to $90 is a drop of 40%

I will work on it with one of those spreadingsheets or find someone who knows how they work.

Comment

4500 x .40 = 1800 therefore 4500 – 2025 = 2700 which, when you divide this value by 30 houses we get $90 per house!

Where does the 2025 come from?

4500-2025= 2475.
                    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by exnzpat View Post
                      Total current value: 1500 + 3000 = 4500 / 30 houses to find and average = 150 per house
                      Current value is actually 30x$200=$6000 as the first 15 houses have ridden the bubble up. A 40% decline takes that down to $3,600 (which based on your actual perchase price is only a 20% loss to you).

Comment

Originally posted by exnzpat View Post
                        Then let’s say the same investor purchased another 15 rentals after 2005, and because of the bubble, they purchased each of these properties at $200 each. A total outlay is $3000
                        The 150 would represent the current market value of each of the 30 houses.
                        You're confusing average purchase price with current market value.

Comment

Hi

Any data analysis or market commentary which looks at the property market as a whole is misleading because the vast majority of properties are owned by home owners and not investors.

The key being that properties bought by home owners are not valued based upon their rental yields.

For example, my home has lost roughly 10% with the downturn based upon recent sales in the area. If I was looking to buy it as an rental investment I would need it to drop by another 30% to justify it. But its my home I don't care about what I would rent it out for. And I don't think it will drop by another 30%.

My investment properties are valued based upon their rental yield. Based on recent sales on investment properties I don't believe I have lost a cent. Especially as their rents have been steadily going up.

Any market commentatory looking at the property market as a whole should be taken with a grain of salt

Jono

Comment

Actually what you are saying makes sense JP. Another factor in favour of your argument is that that most people buying a house usually is looking at buying one not the whole market. So for the one house buyer overall averages over different areas and very different properties really don't help all that much.

I was at an auction today where the property sold for approx $10k over its valuation, it was not in a posh area either.
                            Hamish Patel | ph: 09 625 4693 | mob: 021 625 693
                            My Website
                            Be informed - register for our free monthly newsletter

Comment

Working...
                            X