I am relatively new to property investing, started in 2003 after long discussions with a work colleague, who loaned me books and discussed all my many objections.
I have moved city (and once country) frequently for work over 20 years. My pattern was to buy in each city, then sell when it was time to move on.
Today I had access to a real estate program looked up all my old property values and worked out the gains. So here are my purchases for 20 years:
1. Chch bought 11/2/88 $63,000 CV $39,500; May 2009 RV $294,000 last sale 11/09/2007 $320,000
Total increase $254,500 Average increase $12,000/yr
2. Chch bought 28/11/89 $115, 000 CV $90,000; May 2009 RV $405,000 Last sale 27/2/1992 $179,000 Total increase $315,000 Average increase $15,750/yr
3. Eastbourne bought 18/11/92 $172,500 CV $160,000; May 2009 RV $520,000 Last sale 20/9/97 $200,000 Total increase $360,000 Average increase $21,000/yr
4. Dunedin bought 6/5/96 $85,000 CV $82,000; May 2009 RV $230,000 last sale 10/8/07 $230,000 Total increase $148,000 Average increase $11,000/yr
5. Investment bought 30/7/04 $95,000 CV $87,000 ; May 2009 CV $205,000, last sale 15/6/07 $210,000 Total increase $118,000 Average increase $23,600/yr
6. Investment bought 10/03 $51,000 ; May 2009 CV $170,000 Total increase $119,000 Average increase $12,000/yr
7. Investment bought 6/04 $62,000; May 2009 CV $180,000 Total increase $119,000 Average increase $20,000/yr
8. Own home bought 2/3/04 $275,000 CV$ ; May 2009 CV $450,000, Total increase $175,000, Average increase $35,000/yr
Not included is a property bought in 2002 in Brisbane - I just don't have the figures, but I can only imagine it would make the total look better.
Total RV value now $2,454,000
Total combined cost at day of purchase: $918,500
Increase in value over 20 years: $1,535,500
Most of these homes were bought because we wanted to live in them; we didn't negotiate hard, we couldn't walk away, we loved the houses. we paid above the GV for most. The current values are calculated using present day GV/RV/CV - you could argue that that doesn't represent true value, but still, the results make the statement. Also I only broke even, made a small profit or a small loss on each property with my move - buy - sell approach... NEVER made a killing on any deal.
I now own my own home and 2 investment properties, both significantly positive cashflow, I made them pos cashflow by buying low and improving them significantly and renting them high, Has served me very well - Properties 6 & 7 are rented at $240 each/week, but I did spend $70k between them to get them to their present std.
So i have pushed very hard to find positive cashflow, it is out there, but I have been unsuccessful with offers or have seen the potential for so much tenant damage that i shied away from other 'low decile' areas. I have read Jan Somers books and she has a negative cashflow approach - buy a solid family house in a reasonable suburb that is median in most ways, rent it and wait.It may cost $70/week but you get the capital gains of the house. Look at the first ever property, I can't remember going rents at the times, but possbly $80-100/week. Would've been negative cashflow but time would have fixed that.
My goal is to get a total of at least 10 investment properties over the next 10 years. In reviewing these figures, and looking at what i can find that is positive cashflow, I do wonder if buying a solid family home returning 5-6% may be a reasonable option. Those properties are much easier to find...
Any ideas or especially experiences? this has amazed me...
I have moved city (and once country) frequently for work over 20 years. My pattern was to buy in each city, then sell when it was time to move on.
Today I had access to a real estate program looked up all my old property values and worked out the gains. So here are my purchases for 20 years:
1. Chch bought 11/2/88 $63,000 CV $39,500; May 2009 RV $294,000 last sale 11/09/2007 $320,000
Total increase $254,500 Average increase $12,000/yr
2. Chch bought 28/11/89 $115, 000 CV $90,000; May 2009 RV $405,000 Last sale 27/2/1992 $179,000 Total increase $315,000 Average increase $15,750/yr
3. Eastbourne bought 18/11/92 $172,500 CV $160,000; May 2009 RV $520,000 Last sale 20/9/97 $200,000 Total increase $360,000 Average increase $21,000/yr
4. Dunedin bought 6/5/96 $85,000 CV $82,000; May 2009 RV $230,000 last sale 10/8/07 $230,000 Total increase $148,000 Average increase $11,000/yr
5. Investment bought 30/7/04 $95,000 CV $87,000 ; May 2009 CV $205,000, last sale 15/6/07 $210,000 Total increase $118,000 Average increase $23,600/yr
6. Investment bought 10/03 $51,000 ; May 2009 CV $170,000 Total increase $119,000 Average increase $12,000/yr
7. Investment bought 6/04 $62,000; May 2009 CV $180,000 Total increase $119,000 Average increase $20,000/yr
8. Own home bought 2/3/04 $275,000 CV$ ; May 2009 CV $450,000, Total increase $175,000, Average increase $35,000/yr
Not included is a property bought in 2002 in Brisbane - I just don't have the figures, but I can only imagine it would make the total look better.
Total RV value now $2,454,000
Total combined cost at day of purchase: $918,500
Increase in value over 20 years: $1,535,500
Most of these homes were bought because we wanted to live in them; we didn't negotiate hard, we couldn't walk away, we loved the houses. we paid above the GV for most. The current values are calculated using present day GV/RV/CV - you could argue that that doesn't represent true value, but still, the results make the statement. Also I only broke even, made a small profit or a small loss on each property with my move - buy - sell approach... NEVER made a killing on any deal.
I now own my own home and 2 investment properties, both significantly positive cashflow, I made them pos cashflow by buying low and improving them significantly and renting them high, Has served me very well - Properties 6 & 7 are rented at $240 each/week, but I did spend $70k between them to get them to their present std.
So i have pushed very hard to find positive cashflow, it is out there, but I have been unsuccessful with offers or have seen the potential for so much tenant damage that i shied away from other 'low decile' areas. I have read Jan Somers books and she has a negative cashflow approach - buy a solid family house in a reasonable suburb that is median in most ways, rent it and wait.It may cost $70/week but you get the capital gains of the house. Look at the first ever property, I can't remember going rents at the times, but possbly $80-100/week. Would've been negative cashflow but time would have fixed that.
My goal is to get a total of at least 10 investment properties over the next 10 years. In reviewing these figures, and looking at what i can find that is positive cashflow, I do wonder if buying a solid family home returning 5-6% may be a reasonable option. Those properties are much easier to find...
Any ideas or especially experiences? this has amazed me...


Comment