We seek the opinions and expeniences from investors who are (or used to live in) overseas but have properties in New Zealand.
Our situation is we are moving overseas in about 6 months time, and deliberating on the pros and cons of (1) selling our house now, or (2) keeping the house and renting it out through property management. (By the way, we bought our house in 2004; although we live in it, we have rented out our 4 spare rooms continuously.)
We are concerned if we sell it now, we will forgo future capital gain, as we believe we are approaching the bottom of the cycle. The advantage we see of selling it now is the opportunities outside of property (to buy more fruitful investment).
Our primary concern for renting it out is the lack of control of expenses for manitenance and repairs. Although we are happy with our chosen property manager, our house is 60 years old. It will inevitably be more repairs and mainteance needed as the years go by.
Our intention to come back to this house (or to New Zealand) has not yet been decided.
Our property will be set up as cashflow positive, tax neutral position, should we hold it.
Words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.
Our situation is we are moving overseas in about 6 months time, and deliberating on the pros and cons of (1) selling our house now, or (2) keeping the house and renting it out through property management. (By the way, we bought our house in 2004; although we live in it, we have rented out our 4 spare rooms continuously.)
We are concerned if we sell it now, we will forgo future capital gain, as we believe we are approaching the bottom of the cycle. The advantage we see of selling it now is the opportunities outside of property (to buy more fruitful investment).
Our primary concern for renting it out is the lack of control of expenses for manitenance and repairs. Although we are happy with our chosen property manager, our house is 60 years old. It will inevitably be more repairs and mainteance needed as the years go by.
Our intention to come back to this house (or to New Zealand) has not yet been decided.
Our property will be set up as cashflow positive, tax neutral position, should we hold it.
Words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.


Comment