What can go wrong with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can go wrong with this?

With a pre-tax cashflow positive and a BRAND NEW property in Auckland, I would be interested to know WHAT can go wrong with this deal: (copied & pasted from the website)

Property Details:
    This is exceptional buying, being a BRAND NEW home and income property secured for $485,000 with a registered valuation of $570,000 PLUS its CASHFLOW POSITIVE!

The property comprises a spacious brand new 4 bedroom residential dwelling, being externally constructed of brick veneer walls with linear weather board inserts on some walls and a double internal access garage, with external improvements being a concrete paved area. The dwelling sits on a 624m2 section situated in a quiet street in Swanson, West Auckland. Located adjacent to the main dwelling is a brand new one level 2 bedroom residential minor dwelling, being constructed in weatherboard cladding with a concrete tiled roof. Both dwellings enjoy east and westerly urban/rural views.

The grounds are landscaped and are very well thought out with very good vehicle access with ample concreted areas and pathways. Very good returns on both dwellings as they are currently rented at $450 for the 4 bedroom home and $280 per week for the 2 bedroom minor dwelling (about to be increased to $300/wk). This would give a total of $750/wk for the total investment. Close to good schools with bus and train services nearby. Huge returns here because of the very clever use of the section to accommodate both a 4 bedroom and 2 bedroom dwelling. Both dwellings are carpeted with tiled entrance way, kitchens and bathroom areas. Main bedroom in the 4 bedroom dwelling has an en-suite. Overall both dwellings have been finished to a very high standard of workmanship and there is nothing left to do here as they are brand new.

The location is a popular established area with most homes being of a very good standard. Close to very good schools, shops and local transport. Special note is the train station which is only 2 minutes from the property which gives easy access to Auckland city.

Property Value:
    This investment has a high financial return because of the very unique situation of having a 4 bedroom main dwelling and a 2 bedroom minor dwelling on the same section. The developer has really thought this project out properly and we have not seen such a fantastic opportunity in the property market today, to purchase an investment which gives such a large return (and cashflow positive) and of course is brand new, which means no maintenance. This investment also spreads your risk as you have 2 tenancies in the one investment.

Summary:
    Purchase price: $485,000 via double settlement
    Registered valuation: $570,000
    Deposit: 45,000
    Rental: $450 (4 bedroom) plus $300 (2 bedroom) = Total $750 per week
    Gross yield: 8.0%

So this investment potentially looks like this:

• 15% below valuation
    • 8.0% return
    • CASHFLOW POSITIVE PRE TAX BY ALMOST $5,000pa!
    • Huge financial returns with 2 dwellings on the same section.
    • Risk is spread over 2 dwellings on the 1 title.
    • Located in a very quiet part of Swanson and close to all amenities.

Very unique investment with 2 dwellings on the one section. This investment has had all the hard work completed for you and will always be profitable for an astute investor. Very good financial security.
    Last edited by Kre8eve; 28-01-2009, 08:03 AM.

Just to clarify... is this a genuine question - or are you promoting the property?
    Lisa

Comment

genuine

Fair question Lisa, this is a genuine query as I'm looking at buying this property...BTW, its listed by one of the PB website founder!

Comment

Thanks... I had seen it advertised so I knew who listed it. I just wasn't sure if you were somehow related. :-)

So what are your views on it? Any reasons that you see what it wouldn't be a good deal?
        Lisa

Comment

Looks good but all the usual fundamental questions should be asked and checked.
          Rent values in the area
          Is this place likely to rent for the estimate
          Is there a reason to drive capital gain up more than average.
          Is the capital gain in this area likely to be reasonable
          is there anything in the building permits which might restrict what you can do
          Doug

Comment

What can go wrong? One word: Swanson.

Comment

CONS:
              (that I can see)

1- Big deposit req'd
              2- Bank lending tight (hard to get finance)
              3- Vacancy rates can be high (oversupply?)
              4- Rent increase might not be possible
              5- Market still softening
              6- Valuation might be a bit too old (bank can ask for a new valuation which could be lower)
              7- With current rent, other expenses incl. property manager's costs, it might not be PTCF+

Good ones, Reader!

Comment

Originally posted by k1w1 View Post
                What can go wrong? One word: Swanson.
                Can you please elaborate on this please?

Comment

This will be hard to rent IMHO. You will need to rent both dwellings to associated persons or extended family as they are in very close proximity etc. $750 is a lot to find each week and renting one by iteself will make it harder to rent the other and if they are both vacant the shortfall is huge..

Comment

Swanson is deemed to be a bit "scruffy". Most tenanters would rather go to Massey, Royal Heights etc BEFORE going to Swanson.

Thus the level of tenants you could get, may be "challenging".
                    Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Gross yield = 8% = way too low for a place like Swanson.

Vacancy rates, wear and tear, all higher than average.

Not sure if a Swanson rental deserves a brand new dwelling.

640m2 is still considered a small section that far out west.

2 dwellings already on the small section. It's totally maxed out legal potential wise. And since it's Swanson, the zoning is unlikely to change to a much denser one in the next 10 years or so.

RBR possible but who will you attract in Swanson if you do RBR? Probably not the flash young executive types. Probably not even the types that can keep any job during a recession.

I'd probably keep looking for something with at least medium term potential.
                      Last edited by 67910241; 28-01-2009, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by essence View Post
                        Swanson is deemed to be a bit "scruffy". Most tenanters would rather go to Massey, Royal Heights etc BEFORE going to Swanson.

Thus the level of tenants you could get, may be "challenging".
                        Massey? Royal Heights?

Dude, from an ex-Westie, even Te Atatu North (yeah it's now Peninsula, whatever, unchipped pit bull crosses still freely roam some streets) seems 2 motorway exits too far.

Leaving the West side to the proles.

Comment

Ex-Westies Unite!!! LOLZ.
                          Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Originally posted by Kre8eve View Post
                            Can you please elaborate on this please?

Ha ha my sentiments exactly Kiwi!

We have 2 properties in Massey, close to motorway and Westgate, and in an established neighbourhood.

Looked at Swanson and Ranui, but they are too far from the M'way, and just too rough. A good way to gauge this is by looking at the standard of the local sports grounds and community halls.
                            Its second only to Manurewa in terms of the level of beneficiaries etc, and you will probably find that to get that $450 a week you may have 7 people in the house plus all their pets - is that what you want?

I gotta ask, how do you get such a high valuation for a house with brick veneer?? Ick!
                            two ears and just one mouth.. for good reason.

Comment

I can't comment on the area but having built new units back in the 90's I can say that the premiums obtained when renting a brand new property will slowly reduce as they become 'tired'. I am only now getting more rent than I was in 1995.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X