No announcement yet.

Financial Armageddon!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Schism Between Wall Street and main street: Green shoots for the Banking Oligarchy and Crap Shoots for Others.
    On Wednesday we learned that GDP contracted by a stunning 6.1 percent in the first quarter of 2009. This came on top of the already large 6.3 contraction in the fourth quarter of 2008. This back to back contraction is the deepest in over 50 years when in the fourth quarter of 1957 GDP contracted by 4.2 percent followed by a 10.4 percent contraction in Q1 of 1958. Yet the market rallied on this news because of glimmers of hopes. Green shoots as some like to say. The glimmer of course comes from banks because the Federal Reserve and U.S. Treasury are doing everything in their power to destroy the U.S. dollar and keep rates artificially low so banks can keep on creating excessive debt. You may recall that it was excessive debt that got us into this mess so apparently creating more excess debt is the way out. Yet the average American household is seeing their access to debt contract while banks and Wall Street suddenly have a platinum American Express line directly linked to the Fed and U.S. Treasury.
    In this article I want to look at 10 charts that clearly show we are nowhere near a bottom. These charts will also show that for trillions in bailouts, we have seen a marginal gain in the real economy.
    He then lists:
    Chart 1 - Retail Sales
    Chart 2 - Motor Vehicle Sales
    Chart 3 - Housing Starts
    Chart 4 - Single Family Home Sales
    Chart 5 - Personal Savings Rate
    Chart 6 - Real GDP
    Chart 7 - Hours Worked
    Chart 8 - Household Debt
    Chart 9 - Stock Markets
    Chart 10 - Trade
    And then we get to the REALLY interesting bit:
    So as you can see from the above charts, there is no green shoots in the Main Street economy. Sure, Wall Street is shooting to the moon but that is because the pit bosses are now trading amongst themselves fleecing the public. Recent data shows insiders actually selling into the momentum:
    “(Barrons) Leading us to the question with which we began these musings: If those now infamous shoots of recovery are popping up all over, why would insiders be so aggressively dumping stocks?
    Yet, they indisputably are. According to a study prepared for Bloomberg by Washington Service, a research outfit, directors, officers and the like have sold $353 million worth of stock in this fading month, or 8.3 times the total bought. As a matter of fact, according to the firm, insider purchases of $42.5 million are on track to make April the skimpiest month for such buying since July 1992.
    The pace of selling in the first three weeks of this month, incidentally, was the swiftest since the market peaked and the bear came out of hibernation with a vengeance in October ‘07.
    We’re quite aware that insiders are not infallible. But they are, after all, in the front lines of commerce and industry and so presumably have a better fix on the economy and the prospects for recovery than analysts and economists, whether of macro or micro persuasion.”
    This is the ultimate bear market rally so proceed with caution.
    And that links in with the latest report from Chris Martenson:
    Thursday, April 30, 2009, 9:17 am, by cmartenson
    Executive Summary
    * GDP report for 1Q2009 is a mess of Fuzzy Numbers
    * The surprising 2.2% increase in PCE, or Personal Consumption Expenditures, is discussed
    * Ostensible signs suggest that the bottom is in, but the numbers do not line up at all with hard, factual data
    * Sales tax receipts declined in first quarter
    * The GDP report for the first quarter of 2009 is in serious conflict with actual state sales tax data
    * Vehicle sales are down nearly twice as much as the 19% claimed by the BEA
    * The extent to which investors are fooled by these government reports is the extent to which they risk losing a lot of money in the stock market

And then there is also the High Spin link from Chris
    One of the things I especially enjoy about the “spin cycle” is when its operators have a tough time deciding how to spin the news. Here’s a particularly humorous example that flitted across the wire feeds yesterday – pay careful attention to the displayed times:
    7:55AM ET CURRENCIES: Dollar Pressured As Recovery Hopes Rise
    9:54AM ET CURRENCIES: Dollar Gains As Recovery Hopes Rise

Comment

• hmmmm if you use lagging indicators as your barometer, which 5 of the 10 charts are, (I'm not sure where the others a coupe of the others fit in, I would have to go back to the books ) then things will look gloomy.

Comment

• Originally posted by tpr2 View Post
        hmmmm if you use lagging indicators as your barometer, which 5 of the 10 charts are, (I'm not sure where the others a coupe of the others fit in, I would have to go back to the books ) then things will look gloomy.
        So what indicators would you use Terry?

Another set of indicators for the US can be seen at

Here is a collection of real estate and economic graphs for data released in April ... Click on graphs for larger image in new window. ****...

Comment

• well .... if your looking for good news in the current market you need to look at leading indicators rather than lagging indicators.

Leading indicators are things like copper volumes, stock market, business sentiment, yield curve, building permits and consumer attitudes are a few.

Comment

well .... if your looking for good news in the current market you need to look at leading indicators rather than lagging indicators.
            I've thought about your choice of the words "good news"

For me my phrasing of that question would be along the lines

"If you're looking for news you can trust and use..."

The pointer to the Chris Martenson fuzzy numbers post above was an indication I don't know or trust the information about indicators coming from the Main Stream media. Martenson, Dr Housing Bubble, Maudlin and a few others that have been pretty good at commenting on this GFC, are all calling for caution as their view appears to be this is a bear rally that is getting long in the tooth.

I'm reading "Your Money & Your Brain" by Jason Zweig.

One of the concepts he has mentioned is that of "If the Market Blinks: Blink Back". And backed it with an anecdote about a fund manager who saw a stock that he liked had fallen 30% in a day on some not so important news. He promptly purchased 2 million shares. In other words, if there is going to be another drop in the share market, what shares would you like to buy and at what price?

So for me, good news might be the share market falling and my having identified shares I would buy if the market fell. There is a story I have seen of Warren Buffet having tracked one particular stock for 25 years. In 2005 it fell to a level he felt comfortable at purchasing it and so he did. Now that is patience.

The share market going down is not necessarily bad news. For me I have now got to a point where I have identified some shares that if they fell below my trigger point, I would purchase them.

So where I have I gone with this post. I have meandered away from the original topic somewhat.

A) the definition of "good news" can be "bad news" for some. And vice versa. But knowing that you can trust that news is just as important.
            B) Opportunities will keep coming up. Keep monitoring the market.
            C) See A & B and be patient.

Comment

well .... if your looking for good news in the current market you need to look at leading indicators rather than lagging indicators.

Leading indicators are things like copper volumes, stock market, business sentiment, yield curve, building permits and consumer attitudes are a few.
              The numbers are manipulated and basically a waste of time along with most of the news in mainstream TV. Dosnt matter if there lagging or leading there conveniant to appease the masses back into ignorance...

Most alternative media has been accurate to a point. Time being the only wild card...

As for looking at copper or any other resources they will be rising in price due to depleation, in other words theres not the abundance of resources there once was!

Comment

• Do you think they'll eventually acknowledge we are in a global depression Badger or is that too much of a reality check for everybody??

Comment

• Originally posted by Dean Letfus View Post
                  Do you think they'll eventually acknowledge we are in a global depression Badger or is that too much of a reality check for everybody??
                  I think its about acknowledging a *paradigm shift* in how us little humans go about doing life!

In the near term I doubt it. In the long term eventually there will be no choice. But as with any calls its all about *time* & *timing*...

Comment

• Hey Gibber

Good points. The share market is certainly where the big % gains will be made over the next few years.

I have done very well over the years from stocks that have received bad news and so crashed over night only to rebound a few weeks later.

There have been some great examples and now we have nearly the entire market doing that.

I said a little while ago that rather than track shares because of their uncertainty you could track indexes instead.

By some index funds, sit back and watch the world go by. (just kidding, do some research, get some advice and then buy some index funds and watch the world go by)

Comment

Hey Gibber

Good points. The share market is certainly where the big % gains will be made over the next few years.

By some index funds, sit back and watch the world go by. (just kidding, do some research, get some advice and then buy some index funds and watch the world go by)
                      Yep, here in Turkey the IMKB 100 is up about 30% for the year. There are certainly pockets of gains around, but as with anything it helps to have done the bulk of your research beforehand so you recognise an opportunity. No different to seeing a house for a great price, in a neighbourhood you know inside out.

G
                      Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

• Hey Revdev, U didn't have a birthday party recently did you?
                        The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

Comment

• My dealer group in Oz just put out a brochure based on performance over the next 3, 5 or 10 years of the share market compared with putting your money in the bank.

Interesting but I think it misses the spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Austrokiwi View Post
                            Hey Revdev, U didn't have a birthday party recently did you?
                            Haha wouldn't that be nice! Unfortunately, my net worth is a little more humble...

G
                            Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

My dealer group in Oz just put out a brochure based on performance over the next 3, 5 or 10 years of the share market compared with putting your money in the bank.

Interesting but I think it misses the spot.
                              Oh yeah? and just how do they know what the sharemarket is going to do this year let alone the next 10?
                              Do they also postulate that your money in the bank albeit going backwards is still going to be there tomorrow?

Comment

• Because they have a crystal ball Mike that is called "what if"

The premise is simple. The current position of the market will not remain constant. Historically it has always gone up.

Using historical figures the longest time it would take for the share market to double will be ten years, hence the 10 year time frame.

Based on average historical figures the most likely (average) time it will take the share market to double is 5 years.

And based historically on what the share market has done after each of the many crashes they have had over the last 100 years it will take under 3 years but they used 3 years as the figure.

So depending on your attitude, i.e optimistic or pessimistic your money will double in 3 5 or 10 years.

You will receive in dividends 2.5% because they are being conservative on the amount of money invested.

So take an example of $100k

In the bank at 3.5% (remember they are an Australian dealer group) and after 10 years you still have 100k and you have earnt $3500 per annum and you still are.
                                Of course this doesn't buy you anywhere near the amount of goods it does today.

In the share market ...

Well even worse case scenario after 10 years you would have $200k and you would be receiving $5000 per annum in dividends.

So put your money in the bank or in the share market? simple choice really.

Comment

Working...
                                X