X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long-term renters may get stronger protection in law

Long-term renters may get stronger protection in law
    by Ruth Laugesen - Sunday Star Times | Sunday, 23 March 2008

THE NATION'S growing army of renters may be about to get new property rights, meaning they cannot be evicted from a property when it is sold.

Building and Construction Minister Shane Jones says the government is concerned falling home ownership means many renters are no longer just student-style flatters. Increasingly they included young families and senior citizens who need more certainty about their long-term living arrangements.

"We have to move to a situation where we are placing an accent on stability and security for our families that are reliant on the rental market. If they can't get into full-blown home ownership, can we get them to an intermediate step where there is a new form of property right," he said.

One in four households are paying rent, according to the 2006 census, up on 10 years earlier when one in five were tenants.

He says he has asked officials to explore long-term leasehold agreements establishing property rights for tenants for 10, 15, and 21 years, of the type used in the United States. This would mean the tenant would get the benefit of any capital improvements inside the house and couldn't be evicted if the property was sold.

Jones, a landlord himself, says he has no interest in making life difficult for "mum and dad" Kiwi landlords. He says a new model can offer considerable investment advantages by providing a steady income for landlords and institutional investors.

Currently tenants must give at least 21 days' notice to end a tenancy and landlords must give 90 days' notice. If a landlord is selling a house, or they or a member of their family wants to occupy the house, they need only give 42 days' notice.

Fixed-term tenancy agreements can be entered into for longer periods, but they entail no ownership rights for tenants.

Leasehold agreements would give a right of occupation over many years at an agreed rent, with regular rent reviews and would mean the tenant would be able to make capital improvements and sell their leasehold.

"Obviously, the people who are investing in the bricks and mortar need to be confident they are going to get a decent return.

"And the people who are giving up home ownership and moving into these longer leasehold arrangements need to be confident they can turn it into a thriving, flourishing home that they've got long-term stable occupancy entitlements to," Jones said.

New Zealand Property Investment Federation vice-president Andrew King said often tenants were the ones reluctant to sign fixed-term agreements because they wanted the flexibility to move.

"Most property owners actually want to have a tenant for a long period of time," he said.

LANDLORDING IT

At the 2006 census, 366,000 households were paying rent, up from 272,000 in 1996 Home ownership fell from 73.8% of households in 1991 to 66.9% in 2006 The average tenancy lasts a year-and-a-half, with the average just 16 months for those with private landlords -

"There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

(Shane) Jones, a landlord himself, says he has no interest in making life difficult for "mum and dad" Kiwi landlords. He says a new model can offer considerable investment advantages by providing a steady income for landlords and institutional investors.

Every now and again I come across this and it has the opposite effect to what was intended.

Rather than making me think: "Ah, this guy is just like me so he must understand the issues I am facing and he must be working in my best interests as well as trying to be helpful and look after the tenants as well" (a pperculiarly kiwi attitude of all sharing and working together that too often ends up with a confused mess and nothing getting done), the opposite effect occurs. I think: "Be careful. This guy may own a rental but he probably doesn't manage it himself nor does he really have any understanding of what the nuts and bolts of running a rental portfolio is all about."

I am dealing with someone right now who doesn't know what she is doing and regularly says: "I'm a LL myself", trying to make me be a little less blunt with her. If only she knew what I really think.

xris
    Last edited by xris; 23-03-2008, 11:06 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

So now the Nanny State will try to prevent landlords from selling rentals the way they want to as well!
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Watch this one.....

So the "poor" tenant is once again being protected against the "evil" landlord!

In my limited experience as a landlord all but one of the moves were instigated by the tenant not me, including breaking a fixed term tenancy. The other was non payment of rent.

If we had signed up one of these new leases would I be able to claim for the costs of the broken lease? Oh that's right I can afford the inconvenience of no rent because I am a landlord.

Comment

LL not to blame for shorter term tenancies

Originally posted by muppet View Post
          The average tenancy lasts a year-and-a-half, with the average just 16 months for those with private landlords -

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaystartim...8847a6442.html
          Average 18 months across the board....but only 2 months shorter with private lanlords?!
          Tell me why do we need this legislation again!? Why does the private sector need govt intervention on this...when its clear that LL's - private or otherwise- are not the reason for tenant "instability & insecurity" ? Bloody govt intervention for interventions sake

Comment

This woudn't be the government back tracking on providing affordable housing would it?

In the US they also have or had a protection scheme for the tenant meaning that the Landlord couldn't put the rent up for a period of years and they couldn't evict the tenant.

My mother-in-law was a renter of very nice apartment in LA and she stayed on regardless of who owned the property and her rent didn't go up. She was there for a long time - maybe 10 years. I'm not sure how it worked but it wasn't worth while moving because to rent elsewhere was much more expensive.

Comment

This sort of thing is normal in Europe. Any Guus, Pierre, Adolf or Bjorn care to comment?

xris

Comment

In Austria

In Austria........... if a tenant has been in a property three years or more it is effectively their's till death ( they still pay rent of course) . So Landlords have adjusted tenancys are not extended beyond a three year term. If they are looking to protect tennants then they also need to protect landlords............ A maximum four weeks bond is ridiculous and the chances of getting money out of a departed tennant are nil...............so I would like to see them copy Europe and set bonds for tenancy's to three months rent!!!!!
                The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

Comment

Hi Austrokiwi

You said:
                  so I would like to see them copy Europe and set bonds for tenancy's to three months rent!!!!!
                  And how many of the under paid poor who cannot afford to buy a house in NZ would be able to afford $325x12=$3900 bond?

Regards
                  "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Austrokiwi View Post
                    In Austria........... if a tenant has been in a property three years or more it is effectively their's till death ( they still pay rent of course) .
                    I don't see that as being very fair on a landlord who may have to sell, or for the tenant who is likely to get a 3 year lease and then have to move if they want to or not.

Since we keep getting told that housing is unaffordable it is likely that many people will rent for the rest of their lives. Some people put down roots in their rental accomodation and make it a home, which is great for a LL to have a tenant that looks after a property like their own. But everyone knows that it is a rented property.

Comment

Originally posted by muppet View Post
                      Hi Austrokiwi

You said:

And how many of the under paid poor who cannot afford to buy a house in NZ would be able to afford $325x12=$3900 bond?

Regards
                      Well you can imagine my shock on arriving in Vienna in 2000 and having to fork out 3 months bond plus a months rent in advance ( rent was equivalent to €1900 a month)

But how many of us landlords have been hit by fly by night tenants and damage costs that can never be covered by the current bond in NZ........... think about it some one contracts to use an asset that can be of 1/4 - 1/3 million dollars and the only security available to the owner of the property is may be $1200.00. On a $300,000 property thats a 0.4% level of security is it me being unrealistic or is it you for thinking 0.4% is satisfactory!!!
                      The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

Comment

Herrn Wong,

How much are these Austrian properties worth, the ones for requiring a #5,700 bond?

xris

Comment

What's this Wong stuff? I'm as Celtic as they come. The rental I was in was worth about €290,000 back in 2000

Comment

But don't let the price of a house discredit what I'm saying a cheap apartment will rent for €1200 a month and to get into it a tenant needs to find €4800 for the bond and 1st months rent. With high house prices rents need to go up and the security that goes with it needs to go up..............It may seem high but perhaps the Migrating tenant syndrome might disappear if they had to make a real commitment when they take on a rental............ especially if renting becomes away of life.........

Comment

Sorrry,

Confusing you with someone else.

Assume...

Values in Austria have almost doubled since 2000. NZ LL takes on full bond and rent allowed on a tenancy. One euro equals two NZ dollars, ie a NZ$300,000 house equals 150,000 euros.

Austria

4,800/550,000 = 0.87% security

NZ

1,800/150,000 = 1.20% security

So, where's your problem Mr Celt? Boy, you really have got some Gaul misleading people like that.

xris
                              Last edited by xris; 25-03-2008, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X