Gizmo,
I am an ex agent but I have been an investor for the last 7 years. And the reason is, I got sick and tired of dealing with the likes of you.
Several people here have said that agents are of dubious character etc. What about the 'general public' who ask for advice on how to stiff an agent? That's ok is it? That shows character does it?
I was glad to read a few people standing up for the agents. I have done it for 4 years ('96 to 2000) when things were harder. Yes they have had an easy time lately but that will change again shortly.
To anyone who reckons it's easy money, I have just one piece of advice, try it. Get a job as a salesperson and see how easy it is. I can tell you it is the hardest job I have ever had and I will never ever do it again! Investing is about 1 million times easier and I'm not exaggerating.
Now, Gizmo, when you signed the agency agreement you must have known a commission would need to be paid. If you don't want to pay it, why did you get a real estate agent to sell your property?
And then when their sign generates a good lead, (the purchaser goes behind the agents back) you want out.
Nothing to do with ethics, morals or character, you like most of the "good honest public" have none. What you are really asking for is a kind of 'permission' from people here to do what you want to do i.e. stiff the agent and save some money.
Agents have better things to do than meet with vendors, go over marketing plans, sign up agency contracts, undertake advertising and put up signs and then have that same vendor say "Thanks for all your free work, now you've found us a buyer, we'll take it from here and pay you nothing".
The fact that this is seen to be ok by a lot of people is a big worry. It's simiar to insurance fraud and other crimes like that where people assume the people or institutions they're doing the dirty on are really rich and won't notice the difference and are basically all dishonest themselves anyway.
If it makes you sleep better at night to think all agents are crims, then fine, tell yourself whatever you need to while you complete your sale privately.
Next time, give yourself an out in the agency contract, or sell it privately from the start.
The only reason agents get everyone to sign these agency contracts these days is precisely because so many people try and stiff the agents. Handshakes and verbal promises just fly out the window when money becomes an issue.
And of course there are some dodgy real estate agents out there. You just have to be sensible in who you deal with as in every other facet of life.
Rant ends.
I am an ex agent but I have been an investor for the last 7 years. And the reason is, I got sick and tired of dealing with the likes of you.
Several people here have said that agents are of dubious character etc. What about the 'general public' who ask for advice on how to stiff an agent? That's ok is it? That shows character does it?
I was glad to read a few people standing up for the agents. I have done it for 4 years ('96 to 2000) when things were harder. Yes they have had an easy time lately but that will change again shortly.
To anyone who reckons it's easy money, I have just one piece of advice, try it. Get a job as a salesperson and see how easy it is. I can tell you it is the hardest job I have ever had and I will never ever do it again! Investing is about 1 million times easier and I'm not exaggerating.
Now, Gizmo, when you signed the agency agreement you must have known a commission would need to be paid. If you don't want to pay it, why did you get a real estate agent to sell your property?
And then when their sign generates a good lead, (the purchaser goes behind the agents back) you want out.
Nothing to do with ethics, morals or character, you like most of the "good honest public" have none. What you are really asking for is a kind of 'permission' from people here to do what you want to do i.e. stiff the agent and save some money.
Agents have better things to do than meet with vendors, go over marketing plans, sign up agency contracts, undertake advertising and put up signs and then have that same vendor say "Thanks for all your free work, now you've found us a buyer, we'll take it from here and pay you nothing".
The fact that this is seen to be ok by a lot of people is a big worry. It's simiar to insurance fraud and other crimes like that where people assume the people or institutions they're doing the dirty on are really rich and won't notice the difference and are basically all dishonest themselves anyway.
If it makes you sleep better at night to think all agents are crims, then fine, tell yourself whatever you need to while you complete your sale privately.
Next time, give yourself an out in the agency contract, or sell it privately from the start.
The only reason agents get everyone to sign these agency contracts these days is precisely because so many people try and stiff the agents. Handshakes and verbal promises just fly out the window when money becomes an issue.
And of course there are some dodgy real estate agents out there. You just have to be sensible in who you deal with as in every other facet of life.
Rant ends.


Comment