Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 K for improvements

Hi,
    How would you spend 15K on improvements to a generally "tired" house? Please state order of preference.

Cheers,
    shahil
    Another day closer to retiring!

Paint - In and Out
    Deck
    Carpet
    [email protected]

Comment

Three 42" plasma TV's.
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Kitchens & bathrooms.

There are a lot of companies competing now for DIY'ers (Mitre 10, Placemakers, 3 Brothers, Bunnings etc) so prices are great and can change the whole look of a place for a reasonable price.

It all depends on the state of cabinets etc, sometimes a paint and 3$ stainless steel handles can make a kitchen look great and of course this will change if it is a rental or a a do-up to sell.

New Taps, Big Mirror and splashback tiles can transform a bathroom also..

Depending on how these two areas go, I see what else needs doing and work it in to the budget as appropriate.
        "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"

Comment

How much extra would you pay for a 42" Plasma TV, Dave.
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
            Three 42" plasma TV's.
            Are you and my hubby related at all?

GJB68 has hit the nail on the head.
            also - don't forget street appeal. A bit of landscaping can add a lot of value.
            Jo Birch
            Looking for someone to manage your next project or event? Then call now!
            +61 450 148 678

Comment

Plasmas..

Originally posted by drelly View Post
              Three 42" plasma TV's.
              I wonder how these would depreciate..lol

~shahil.

Comment

trade discount

Originally posted by GJB68 View Post
                Kitchens & bathrooms.

There are a lot of companies competing now for DIY'ers (Mitre 10, Placemakers, 3 Brothers, Bunnings etc) so prices are great and can change the whole look of a place for a reasonable price.
                Do any of these outlets have trade discounts? how to you access this?

~shahil

Comment

Originally posted by shahil.nazia View Post
                  I wonder how these would depreciate..lol

~shahil.
                  You may joke but ask Steve Goodey. He just bought one for a rental place I believe.
                  Jo Birch
                  +61 450 148 678

Comment

the case of plasmas..

Originally posted by Heg View Post
                    You may joke but ask Steve Goodey. He just bought one for a rental place I believe.
                    The properties Steve G is putting in plasmas for are upmarket accomodations and student rentals - which is an excellent idea to attract quality tenants. However, I dont think its a good idea putting one in a rental in South Auckland.

~shahil.

Comment

I was kidding of course... don't plasmas only last about 5 years anyway?
                      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

However, I dont think its a good idea putting one in a rental in South Auckland.

~shahil.
                        No - most of the tenants in South Auckland already have one
                        Jo Birch
                        +61 450 148 678

Comment

My Thoughts On renos

1- Outside - landscape for street appeal
                          2-Kitchen -mum buys and rents houses -Dad pays( I also sell kitchens so am biased)
                          3- paint interior white or neutral
                          4.bathroom -minimal amount to make tiday and acceptable- tile setc can make the difference -use existing bath etc and clean really well.
                          5-carpet - must be reasonable or the house looks sh.t, plenty of cheap end rolls around.

We did a house recently in Manurewa for 15k top to bottom inside so its definatley posssible, had a thread on here about it somewhere ??

Good luck

Mark

Comment

I think a better question would be what does the property need?

Or

What does the tenant want?

Or

What will the tenant pay for?

There's a fine line between what improvements will make the property worth more, and what will provide more rent.

Without knowing the property and as a general rule.....

Don't spend money on anythig you can't see, so do do cosmetic, paint carpet curtains, don't do wiring, piling roof painting.

If your going to spent money on bathrooms and kitchens buy stuff that is shiny, go for stainless steel and chrome were possible.

If possible after this spend money on extra's that will get more rent like.....

Dishwasher
                            Freezer (If family type home)
                            Dryer/washing machine
                            Garage/carport
                            Extra bedroom

After that spend any extra money on the next deposit.

Steve

Comment

The properties Steve G is putting in plasmas for are upmarket accomodations and student rentals - which is an excellent idea to attract quality tenants. However, I dont think its a good idea putting one in a rental in South Auckland.

~shahil.
                              Yes true I'm trying out my first rent by the room property.

I would not recommend this stratergy for the average property.

I wil start a thread and let you know how it goes.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X