Husband and Son embarking on first do up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband and Son embarking on first do up

Well today we settled on my husbands first do up, I know I have done alot in the past, just got others to do them up. But he has decided to do one for a bit of fun (and pocket money) lawn hasnt been mowed for months, the house is half done up then the marriage split up. So they will do the rest of it. We told our son he is working for wages (not split profit as he suggested) I told him he needs to go out and find his own deals if he wants a split profit.

It needs a new kitchen, carpet and paint in one bedroom and the living room plus outside painted. So we will see how it goes.

Any others tackling a do up for the first time?
    Robyn

Hi Robyn,

Your post reminded me of a question I have been meaning to ask everyone on PT for ages!

Do you and your husband work as a partnership in your property adventures, or do your have full control over everything?
    What do you believe are the advantages/disadvantages of the above?
    'When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change' Wayne Dyer

Comment

best wishes

NZGEMS - good luck on your first do up project yourselves. Hope you have lots of fun. Your son will probably enjoy learning and making contacts with the do up, so sounds like an exciting project. Give it heaps.

Comment

Do ups are lots of fun "well when you start them anyway " I always used to do them with my wife as we started off , and at the beginning we had the odd debate on how to do them, like : paint or wallpaper, lino or tiles , or how much to spend on it. That was only with the first two. After that , we just keep to the same formula, ( template) on every house we did.
        The biggest advantage of doing this, was it saved a lot of time, and got rid of any leftovers we had from the previous do up.
        When you tackle a do up, the biggest cost you have is not the Materials you use, or even the Labor costs sometimes. The one that eats in your profits the most are your holding costs .
        Holding costs , are the ones you have to watch the most. ( specially if you do a flick on )
        Paying people to help you ,may sometimes look very expensive, because you can do it a lot cheaper yourself. But you only have one pair of hands ……

Comment

Hi Kimberley
          I am the lone ranger with the property, My husband never wanted to get into it really, or just have a few rentals paid off so we could live off them one day. But I couldnt settle for that, found it too much fun.

So this project is their first, husbands and sons, we picked up a kitchen off Trademe very cheaply $855 including stainless steel appliances. and it was only 3 years old. so fantastic value, fits perfectly except the dishwasher wont fit in but still that can keep for the next one or we could sell it but will probably keep as I think this will be the first of a few.

I think it would be an advantage doing it as a team if you were both interested, I am not interested in doing them up manually though, rather pay someone else, but I love looking for the deals so I can find more for them or just assign them if I find too many for them to do, I would imagine this will take a couple of months to do. It is quite a mess but they have made good progress so far. in just a few days.

we are off to Gisborne tomorrow for 3 days though but our son has instructions after taking the day off tomorrow to load the new trailer we bought which arrives early THursday morning with rubbish from the house and bring it home and burn it, there are severarl trailer loads already, picked up a nearly new trailer off trade me with a cage decided we would need it, and I am thinking goodie, maybe I can do some more bed trading or something like that, made alot of money trading beds on trade me when i first got into it 18 months ago, it was fun. still probably wont do it again but it is handy to have, everytime we have a party i buy tables and chairs off trade me to use then give them to the salvation army afterwards.

I am raving on sorry. hope i have answered your question.
          better go now have more photos to list on trade me, anyone interested have a look robyn74 is my name selling off more of my mums stuff as she is in a home now plus some of our own bits and pieces.
          Robyn
          Robyn

Comment

Hi Robyn

We are going unconditional on our first do-up tomorrow, so this will be a new experience for myself & partner. The house is a 3 bedroom weather board house with a few minor changes such as painting, new light fittings, cosmetic changes to the kitchen/bathroom, and new decking.

The house is on a great street in our own town so travel to and from there will be good, the house has good bones and we think would look great done up.

Will keep you all posted with details of costs, photos, and profits etc...

Thanks

FH
            Home Buyz
            [email protected]

Comment

good on you freezing hot, sorry about the late reply i have been away since the 20th June only got back on board 11th properly.

Tonys house is coming along nicely although I keep draging him away so it is not getting done as quickly as it might have if he was here all the time.

regards Robyn

Comment

Working...
              X