No announcement yet.

Moisture ingress in below ground living area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure if it helps but we repair alot of HNZ houses in Auckland that have suffered from concrete spalling to their foundations. Most we can repair but occasionally we have to take out the concrete ring foundation and replace with timber piles if the damage is too great. Personally if it was my house I would want to excavate and stop water from coming in, not sealing it from the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
      I'm not sure if it helps but we repair alot of HNZ houses in Auckland that have suffered from concrete spalling to their foundations. Most we can repair but occasionally we have to take out the concrete ring foundation and replace with timber piles if the damage is too great. Personally if it was my house I would want to excavate and stop water from coming in, not sealing it from the inside.
      Sounds like the sensible thing to do. BTW what sort of symptoms are present when the foundation is damaged... do you see cracking of the interior gib?

Comment

Originally posted by Merlot Mike View Post
        Sounds like the sensible thing to do. BTW what sort of symptoms are present when the foundation is damaged... do you see cracking of the interior gib?
        No not usually unless there is subsidence or movement of the house due to the expansive soil as well. You can see step cracking in the brick veneer cladding but mostly you can see bubbling or bits of rust showing through the foundation.
        A lot of HNZ houses have had the spalling painted over to try and conceal it but that just makes it harder to repair and as it's not visual it gets left to deteriorate further.
        If you have a water issue with sodden ground it is possible that the house may slumped in that area. If so that can be fixed with an underpin.
        If you're in Akld and want to have someone look at it PM me. We might be able to help.

Comment

spalling would be a concrete cover issue surely and not leaking per se?

Comment

Working...
          X