Howdy.
We found ourselves in difficult situation and we are looking for external opinions.
We are in the final stages of an AKL council controlled (building and resource consent, etc) house extension construction. The builder has already consumed 30% more than he estimated, and I estimate he will need additional 30% on top of that to actually complete the construction. There were few minor variations but ultimately the builder is unable to explain this significant cost overrun.
He gave me an option to 'withdraw' i.e. he is prepared to take a loss, but he will abandon the project (i.e. not complete it). Given his recent attitude towards the project and general lack of professionalism that option suits me well, however Im concerned that this might have implications down the line, which I might not be aware of. To make it harder he wants my response within 24 hrs.
I would have to engage another builder to complete the work.
what could the implications of switching the builder at this stage ?
-there are still some council inspections to sign off.
-I would loose any warranty, but then again, given his attitude i would not count on it. The work that has been done is of good quality (council approved), therefore Im not too concerned about that.
-any potential implications with the council down the line ?
-anything else i should be aware of before making the decision ?
Cheers....
We found ourselves in difficult situation and we are looking for external opinions.
We are in the final stages of an AKL council controlled (building and resource consent, etc) house extension construction. The builder has already consumed 30% more than he estimated, and I estimate he will need additional 30% on top of that to actually complete the construction. There were few minor variations but ultimately the builder is unable to explain this significant cost overrun.
He gave me an option to 'withdraw' i.e. he is prepared to take a loss, but he will abandon the project (i.e. not complete it). Given his recent attitude towards the project and general lack of professionalism that option suits me well, however Im concerned that this might have implications down the line, which I might not be aware of. To make it harder he wants my response within 24 hrs.
I would have to engage another builder to complete the work.
what could the implications of switching the builder at this stage ?
-there are still some council inspections to sign off.
-I would loose any warranty, but then again, given his attitude i would not count on it. The work that has been done is of good quality (council approved), therefore Im not too concerned about that.
-any potential implications with the council down the line ?
-anything else i should be aware of before making the decision ?
Cheers....


Comment