Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake brick cladding exterior

Properties that have a fake brick cladding exterior, built in the 80s

I dont know much about this material at all. Are they generally okay? stay away? depends on which type?

I sold it in the 80's. It's a Hardies product. BASically fibrolite with a brick veneer baked on. We also did tudor finishes. Most buyers were people too lazy to paint their houses so the majority in my day were weatherboard underneath. If so, do yourself a favour and take it off. You'll increase the value of the home in many cases.
    I've never heard anything problematic about it as it was never designed to be specifically weather tight, it was primarily cosmetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
      I sold it in the 80's. It's a Hardies product. BASically fibrolite with a brick veneer baked on. We also did tudor finishes. Most buyers were people too lazy to paint their houses so the majority in my day were weatherboard underneath. If so, do yourself a favour and take it off. You'll increase the value of the home in many cases.
      I've never heard anything problematic about it as it was never designed to be specifically weather tight, it was primarily cosmetic.
      Thanks!
      I had a look under the house, from what i could see it was just the fake brick stuck directly on to wood posts. I obviously couldnt see above the floor.
      Does that sound normal and then weatherboards would be showing from floor to roof?

If i wanted to get rid of it and replace with cladding or weatherboards (if not there) do you know what type of $ i would be looking at?
      Last edited by investorak; 19-10-2016, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Sorry out of my depth now. We never sold it as actual cladding just overcladding so hopefully John or similar will reply to you

Comment

Okay, most likely cedar as property has some cedar on the exterior

Comment

i would say lots used it to cover rotten weatherboards

Comment

Any way to tell if doesnt have rotten boards without ripping off boards?

Comment

Originally posted by investorak View Post
                Any way to tell if doesnt have rotten boards without ripping off boards?
                get superman to have a look

Comment

From the property file it says it was a Westwood Kitset home. The Material is marked as "Woodgrain Hardiplank". Good? Bad?

Comment

They may have substituted the fake brick for hardiplank. If you can see it's attached directly to the piles and boundary joists it's unlikely there's anything underneath or I assume they would have had to pack it out 20mm to match the plane the hardi plank is on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerk View Post
                      They may have substituted the fake brick for hardiplank. If you can see it's attached directly to the piles and boundary joists it's unlikely there's anything underneath or I assume they would have had to pack it out 20mm to match the plane the hardi plank is on.
                      I think you maybe right. Part of the house has a wood like material (not weatherboard as im use to though) and then this fake brick. If the fake brick was on top of this other material it should come away more than the wood like material. Having hardiplank directly on to the framing.

Something i should be concerned about?
                      Is it costly to reclad with some different cladding? i ask because there are cracks and maybe easier then plugging up holes etc

The property also doesnt have eaves

Comment

Leaky home? Built in 87/88

Comment

OK so that's different. No eaves and possibly leaky. Average cost to reclad is 250 on the cheap 350 on the high side.

Comment

Built in 87/88
                            No eaves
                            Fake brick on majority of house

If a builder goes through, he might say its fine but being in that era etc. Should it just be discarded? Or just see what a builder says?

It ticks quite a few boxes for a home other than the things above. still has to be renovated but just dont want any major issues in the future

Would a valuer value it low because of era? cladding? no eaves?
                            Selling would be harder as well i suspect
                            Last edited by investorak; 24-10-2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Absolutely get it checked. They don't all leak. For a family home believe many of those things become unimportant. If you love it buy it if a builder says it's OK. We live in NZ in a tiny almost 100 year old box because we love the location so much. House is nothing but we love it. It's always an emotional buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X