Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower install - tolerances, deviations

Hi,

We have recently bought Englefield Valencia shower (tray, walls, door). We had tradesman install it, but I'm not quite happy with the result. There are couple of things I have concerns about and wanted to see if anyone had opinion if these are acceptable deviations / tolerances.

Firstly, one of the corners isn't square, it is about 5-10mm out, so back wall is curved, it is noticeable though when you walk into the shower... Also it seems like where that back wall is curved it is not making contact with the tray and seems like silicone seal may not be completely watertight...

Secondly, door retainers aren't flat against the liner when looked at from the inside of shower. These are properly sealed from outside but there are gaps on the inside (it could be perfectly OK, I don't know). Also one side retainer has been screwed into the GIB rather then stud.

I have attached a few photos so you have better understanding, and hope someone can provide advice.

well if your wall isnt square the shower liner wont be square

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
      well if your wall isnt square the shower liner wont be square
      The wall is square.

Comment

Is this finished ? the6th photo shows sealant partly installed? Those other gaps need the same treatment?

Comment

The sixth photo is actually as per manufacturers manual, the sealant is behind the liner about 5mm higher than the edge of the liner, seals gap between liner and tray, the sealant close to the edge is also as per manufacturers manual and is all the way down to tray..

Comment

Did you use an approved Englefield installer which can be found on their website? "When you choose an Englefield approved installer, you can be assured of correct installation and quality workmanship which is warranted for 5 years".

Comment

No, just our own installer. He proved to be good on all previous jobs we had him on. By the way the walls weren't completely square, so the corner is out. But it is out by more than Englefield tolerance is which is 2mm. As the guy who's doing it for us was good on previous jobs we're trying to get it re-done and keep out of any arguments and conflicts at the same time, so far so good.

Comment

Contacted Englefield to find out what their deviations and tolerances are. They said the tolerance on square walls is 2mm, The door retainers should be flat against liner and should not be screwed to the GIB, but to the stud...

Comment

What a pain. Yeah, talking to the installer is a good start. Good Luck.

Comment

I would have thought some of this situation should have been caught by the builder--especially making sure there is a stud running up to screw into.

Comment

contacted Englefield to find out what their deviations and tolerances are. They said the tolerance on square walls is 2mm, The door retainers should be flat against liner and should not be screwed to the GIB, but to the stud

do you guys know how much 2mm is????

did he build the walls?

poor bloody builder what a prick of a client he has

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post

did he build the walls?

i agree 2mm its not much tolerance, but thats just Englefield covering their backsides

Comment

did he build the walls?

That stud would have been nice though,eh?

I know my builder gets an installation pro in who does it all the time in terms of installation----Guess they could have both done a bit better on this one though. There must be plenty of walls in older bungalows etc that arent completely square so there must be some way of dealing with this.

Its Englefield who is talking 2mm--the poster is just looking for advice on the 5mm (out)and screw in gib situation---sometimes you just need to take those sort of imperfections on the chin, but if you decide to check a bit further Im not sure that always puts you firmly in the Pr--k category.

Comment

Once again John the Builder shows he is the prick.

Comment

Working...
                            X