Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renovations on State House in Auckland

Hi All

I've lurked here for a while but am diving in to ask the question now - go easy on me. We bought our first and only home (ex state house) in Auckland 12 years ago and set about improving it over time. What started out as a cash strapped but enthusiastic young couple just getting on with things (painting/decorating) has led to us doing things that fall outside of the limits of what we should have done on our own as our skills grew. For example we relined and expanded the bathroom, reconfigured rooms, removed freestanding chimney and moved locations of items in the kitchen (incl drains and cooker) without consent. All of this was done 10 years ago and was done to a high standard - we still enjoy the outcome of what we did. Our driver has never been financial - simply to build a nice place for our family. Any electrical work and plumbing work was done by a registered electrician or plumber. In addition our home is a state house and the plans with council are just two boxes - ie no internal walls are shown.

We're now in a position of wanting to put in a second bathroom, and we're well aware we should get consent for this (we've grown up a bit!) - and we'd like to get the paperwork. Our concern is, what are the implications on getting this based on the work we've done previously, are we opening up a massive can of worms. By the way - our intention is to stay in our home, not to sell it - but it's also to have a home that one day we could sell - things can always change.

Our options seem to be:
    -stay on the same path - just build the bathroom and use it for our enjoyment, don't inform council, and do full disclosure if we sell one day.
    -don't do any more work on the house - we're making an existing situation worse
    -Go to council and say 'errr, sorry.....this is what we did 10 years ago, please give us a certificate of compliance.'
    -Do something else that I hope you can help with!

We know this is an imperfect situation - any pragmatic advice please? (we don't need to go back and be told we should have got consent for everything - that moment has gone )
    Thanks.

I would get an inspector to have a look at what has been done and if he thinks it looks compliant go for a safe and sanitary or whatever they call it now. In other words get the old work signed off. Again I would get inspectors advice but you could probably do this as part of the consent for the new work.

Comment

My pragmatic advice would be talk to an architect (you will need one to draw the plans of the house as it is, including new plans including the bathroom) how to go about it, and play dumb and say you have not carried out any alterations to the house except painting and changing the whiteware (blame the previous owner )

You will need the architect to do any new consents anyways.

PS: Your mileage may vary depending how detailed the floor plan (if any) is in the council property file.
      Last edited by PTILoveYou; 02-10-2015, 02:23 PM.

Comment

If you need an inspector for the safe and sanity report, I recommend Ian Wallace, 027 4455 994. Ian is ex-Auckland City building compliance officer.

Comment

Thank you Gary and DAMAP. If I were to do this (call an ex council building compliance officer) would simply having the conversation risk that the eyes of sauron at the council start coming on me?!

Comment

Originally posted by georgieNZ View Post
            Thank you Gary and DAMAP. If I were to do this (call an ex council building compliance officer) would simply having the conversation risk that the eyes of sauron at the council start coming on me?!
            No the independent inspector is employed by you, so he/she should act in your best interest.

Comment

Ian is my guy too he is great. I would however NOT recommend lying to council as Gary suggests though. Asians :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Damap View Post
                Ian is my guy too he is great. I would however NOT recommend lying to council as Gary suggests though. Asians :-)
                I'm just being pragmatic Damap ;-)

Ian or the architect should point you in the right direction Georgie.

Comment

Call made. Meeting Ian next week. Thank you.

Comment

I was told in the past by an architect that the best course was for him to simply put in as ''existing'' He was talking about a carport and sleepout at the time so not sure about bathroom or kitchen.

Comment

From your description sounds like you haven't done anything that required consent.

So just get an architect or draftsman to draw plans "as is", and draw what you plan to do, and apply for building consent for the 2nd bathroom.

Comment

yes that was how the house was when you bought it

Comment

Working...
                        X