Attic Conversion - Chch TC2 - ex State House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attic Conversion - Chch TC2 - ex State House

We have a 2 bed ex state house (flat) in Woolston, Chch. It's a duplex - attached to a one bed (that we might buy one day - HNZ approached me to see if I was interested so we'll see).
    It's 80sqm but we'd like to convert the attic so we could have a 3 bed. It would have amazing Port Hills views if we could do it.

I can't find much info on here re attic/loft conversions so if anyone knows anything about rough per sqm price that would be great. Or consent. I really don't know too much so anything would be appreciated.

Or if you could recommend someone in Chch that I could talk to. We are still awaiting EQC repairs and likely to do the conversion at the same time so to minimise down time.

Here is a pic taken from Google Street View. Ours is the flat on the right.
    Last edited by syd2chc; 12-02-2015, 03:12 AM.

I had this thought a while back for one of mine in linwood. Are you a pom too? Its not a very kiwi thing it seems.

Lots of dealing with the council. Building consent and if i remember rightly, resource consent too. The house probably wasnt built sturdily enough to take another level so youll need to reinforce the walls, have checks done on your foundations and a whole host of other things. I got that far into the idea and it instantly seemed unappealing and not worth the hassle. Try the council though....

Comment

Bit hard to do a sq mtre rate, there are a few variables. Get a builder in to have a look. You need to have a look at the roof space and see if it is a truss style roof or if it has been pitched on site. The latter is easier to build inside. You may need to beef up the ceiling joists to take the weight of the floor. The space between the units needs to be fire rated up to the roof. That may have already been done with the fact it is two separate units now. Also have a look at where you would locate the stairs, maybe consider the laundry area. May be cheaper to add a room out the back.

Cheers

Carlotte30
      Last edited by charlotte30; 12-02-2015, 07:50 AM. Reason: Adding more information

Comment

Originally posted by andyp2010 View Post
        I had this thought a while back for one of mine in linwood. Are you a pom too? Its not a very kiwi thing it seems.
        Ha - not a pom but my husband is Irish and I must say I got the idea from his parents place. Seems no loft/attic space goes to waste in the Northern Hemisphere. Sounds a bit painful.

Comment

Thanks Charlotte, I'll dig up the building report from purchase to check the roof space. I never actually considered an extension out the back - mainly because I wanted the views but now I'll give it some thought.

Comment

Originally posted by syd2chc View Post
            Ha - not a pom but my husband is Irish and I must say I got the idea from his parents place. Seems no loft/attic space goes to waste in the Northern Hemisphere. Sounds a bit painful.
            This is driven by the planning system in the UK/Ireland. It's much easier to get consent to extend into the roof than it is to increase the footprint. It's much cheaper to do the latter, and in NZ it's far less painful to get consent.

Comment

Working...
            X