Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Granny flat down stairs, parents are moving in....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that's correct, Gary. By definition a Granny Flat would be occupied by members of the same extended family - just under one roof. No different to a house that has two kitchens because both partners love to cook. Or a house with 2-4 bathrooms. A new/2nd kitchen probably needs permitting anyway. The fact it's within a granny flat is neither here nor there. Fireproofing should not be required. Happy to be proven wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftette View Post
      I don't think that's correct, Gary. By definition a Granny Flat would be occupied by members of the same extended family - just under one roof. No different to a house that has two kitchens because both partners love to cook. Or a house with 2-4 bathrooms. A new/2nd kitchen probably needs permitting anyway. The fact it's within a granny flat is neither here nor there. Fireproofing should not be required. Happy to be proven wrong.
      My brief understanding is that a granny flat should not have a kitchen, otherwise it's more like a minor dwelling.

Anyways I haven't done anything like that, but I have a friend who has done a legal conversion.

Comment

Gary
        2) yes, and fireproofing is required too
        not if you are only providing for a granny (ie a member of the same family or household
        3) YES
        3. Permits & Consent?
        not if work is able to be done under schedule 1 and a granny flat doesn't need a RC either

4) CCC will solve this issue
        4. Will there be insurance issue's if the house is burned down caused by my parents downstairs?
        please explain how a piece of paper stops a house burning down.

A minor dwelling is more than a granny flat and allows for a separate exclusive household so it needs all the amenities and fire and sound separation
        Last edited by John the builder; 04-04-2014, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
          Gary

not if you are only providing for a granny (ie a member of the same family or household

3. Permits & Consent?
          not if work is able to be done under schedule 1 and a granny flat doesn't need a RC either

4. Will there be insurance issue's if the house is burned down caused by my parents downstairs?
          please explain how a piece of paper stops a house burning down.

A minor dwelling is more than a granny flat and allows for a separate exclusive household so it needs all the amenities and fire and sound separation

Can a kitchen be legally installed in a granny flat?

Comment

For 4, I think Gazza meant that having a CCC will be one less excuse that an insurance company could use against you as a reason why the claim is denied.

Comment

AFAIK a kitchen needs a permit anywhere, granny flat or otherwise, b/c it requires waste water to be piped away.

Comment

For 4, I think Gazza meant that having a CCC will be one less excuse that an insurance company could use against you as a reason why the claim is denied.
                If the fire was caused by the 2nd illegal kitchen, then insurance company won't payout.

What I mean with the CCC is if the 2nd kitchen is legal, then theoretically the insurance company should pay out (in the event of fire cause by this kitchen).

Comment

yeah, that's what I said you meant.

Comment

I think if the downstairs area is like a garage or storage area, ie non-inhabitable area, then changing it illegally into a granny flat would result in insurance claims declined if the fire starts in the illegal granny flat.

Comment

There's no such thing, technically, as an "illegal Granny flat". You can have a Granny flat. Or you can have a legal/illegal self-contained wing for letting to a stranger.

Comment

There's no such thing, technically, as an "illegal Granny flat". You can have a Granny flat. Or you can have a legal/illegal self-contained wing for letting to a stranger.
                        Where did the word "granny" came from? Having your granny live in a lesser desirable place of the house is kind of bad...

Comment

Indeed. But she's not staying anywhere even remotely within earshot of my bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                            My brief understanding is that a granny flat should not have a kitchen, otherwise it's more like a minor dwelling.

Anyways I haven't done anything like that, but I have a friend who has done a legal conversion.
                            I don't believe there is such a thing as a granny flat.

You either have a separate living area that includes kitchen bathroom etc. that is still part of the single household unit, or you can have a flat that is a separate household unit with the required inter-tenancy walls/compliance etc.

The former one just needs compliance with the requirements of the building code for the component parts i.e. additional sink, etc.

Comment

lawfully yes if you can demonstrate that you are not establishing a minor dwelling intended to be used by separate exclusive households.

You can have a kitchen in every room of your houise if you like and more than one is becoming even more common as ethnic groups and/or mixed religion families share a dwelling but need distinctly different cooking requirements.

Can an insurance expert please advise;

Is the issue not multiple kitchens but rather unlawful non compliant installations that directly cause a fire (due to shonky wiring or overload) and this is what triggers insurance concern but only if the installation causes the fire?

Comment

You can have a kitchen in every room of your houise if you like
                                This can't be right. I've had conversations with the council where they've told me you can only have 2 kitchens and if you want to subdivide further, you need to remove one kitchen.
                                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Working...
                                X