Lining concrete block walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lining concrete block walls

If I wanted to put gib up on an internal concrete block (dividing) wall, do I need to put anything between the painted blocks and the gib sheets?

Also, what is the advised method of waterproofing an external concrete block wall before gibbing it?
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

I'm curious about this also, so I Googled.

Comment

^ nice find
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

I am not sure how you go about proofing external concrete (plenty of waterproof coatings in paint shops) but internally why use anything. I am just renovating a duplex and my side of the internal block wall is just plastered. Has lasted well. Is there a need?

Paul.

Comment

If the wall is below ground, it needs to be coated on the outside by a waterproof compound such as black seal (bitumen) or similar. If this hasn't been done you can paint a product on the inside that resists hydrostatic pressure, or water pressure coming in from outside (I have had Zinsser watertite recommended to me). Otherwise if the wall is above ground, then just painted on the outside should be sufficient.

I've heard that it is not recommended to line gib straight on to an external masonry wall, but the above article seems to say it is ok if it is painted/sealed ok on the outside.

Comment

Better to use battens so that the finished wall.. a) sounds normal when someone taps on it; b) someone can screw into it to hang stuff, without going through concrete block; and c) power points etc can look normal along the wall.
            Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW View Post
              c) power points etc can look normal along the wall.
              would need to be much deeper battens for a power point to 'look normal'.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                would need to be much deeper battens for a power point to 'look normal'.
                No need. My electrician managed it.
                Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

Working...
                X