Header Ad Module

Collapse

Repairing a hole in a hollow wall

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • td91
    Forum Junkie
    • Feb 2013
    • 427

    #1

    Repairing a hole in a hollow wall

    While doing painting one of my rental properties today I managed to accidentally put a hole in the wall.

    It's not a huge hole but the walls have no insulation inside them (Typical of a 1950's house) so it's a hole in a hollow wall and from what I understand it's not as simple as a bit of plaster. I have the house being photographed ready to be stuck on the rental market on Friday morning, so I am after a solution that isn't going to take too long and won't look horrendous..
  • jimO
    Fanatical
    • Sep 2011
    • 1763

    #2
    if you have a bit of gib cut it so you can pop it inside the hole but slightly longer so it can be held in place, you do this by drilling a hole and putting a bit of string with a knot in it so that when its in the hole you can hold it tight, get some stopping compound thats sets fast like cornice cement smear it over the gib and let it set, you can fill the hole with the cornice cement (or cornice bond) then when hard coat with a finishing compound, sand and paint

    Comment

    • kapitibeanman
      Forum Junkie
      • Apr 2010
      • 462

      #3
      Beautifully explained.

      And you say you're not a builder, JimO.

      Bit different from my method of stuffing
      enough newspaper in to form a semi-stable
      platform and then plocking in gobs of
      stopper. It never worked of course, no
      matter how often I tried.

      I have a very low handyman rating from my
      family. My Uncle Tom was worse, he sawed off
      chair corners and bored holes thru lino & floors
      while resting jobs on them.

      Listen to jimO, td91, and also treat your Gib more
      respectfully in future.

      Comment

      • mrsaneperson
        Fanatical
        • Jan 2012
        • 2289

        #4
        What jimo said above is good also this guy here uses a nail instead of string:

        Comment

        • Wayne
          Fanatical
          • Jun 2004
          • 10899

          #5
          I use a long screw. Using coving adhesive is the key - sets fast!

          Comment

          Working...