Header Ad Module

Collapse

Rewire Cost

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Janey
    Freshie
    • Dec 2010
    • 33

    #1

    Rewire Cost

    Sorry this topic might have been brought up hundreds of times. I am just wondering what would normally cost for a basic rewire of a 3+1 home and income type property? Got a quote for 15k thought it is a little shocking. Getting more quotes though.
  • TheLiberalLeft
    Banned
    • Aug 2010
    • 2630

    #2
    What's a "basic" re-wire? You either re-wire or you do not, surely?

    Comment

    • Janey
      Freshie
      • Dec 2010
      • 33

      #3
      Say, no fancy 3 extra power sockets per room all in different places?

      Comment

      • TheLiberalLeft
        Banned
        • Aug 2010
        • 2630

        #4
        Oh,. I'd call those enhancements to the current that would fall outside the scope of a rewire. The cost is going to depend on access, size of property, and of course, amount of wire needed.

        Comment

        • Gladdynook
          Forum Junkie
          • Sep 2012
          • 358

          #5
          I'd be looking at 3 or 4 quotes. Also ask how they plan to do the rewire and if there is going to be anything like gib repairs, ceiling or floor insulation to be replaced etc.

          Comment

          • Ahar
            Addicted
            • Nov 2009
            • 564

            #6
            Janey....are you sure that the electrician and you are on the same page??? When a person talks about a rewire, they usually mean a total replacement of the wiring in the premises. It sounds as if you only want a few extra power points.....this is quite different!

            Comment

            • TheLiberalLeft
              Banned
              • Aug 2010
              • 2630

              #7
              The reason it's expensive is that wiring tends to be behind walls thru nogs and studs etc. Ask yourself, if you wanted to replace that wire, how do you get to it to do so?

              Comment

              • Janey
                Freshie
                • Dec 2010
                • 33

                #8
                I am re-gibing at the same time, so access should not be a problem (they don't even need to mend the walls). Anyway I will see how other quotes are like. If it is still over budget I will just have to do it in stages.

                Comment

                • lawt
                  Opinionated
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 239

                  #9
                  Assuming that the regs are still the same, you can do much of this yourself. You could run the wires and teminate power points, lights and light switches at least.
                  You could not connect anything to a switchboard though. Not sure on termination of the stove and hot water.
                  The necessary standards for this type of work were available on one of the govt web sites setting out what you can do and how to do it.

                  I did most of the rewire of my current house about 7yrs ago. Just got the sparky to terminate the oven and cook top and make off the board and check my work.

                  Comment

                  • lawt
                    Opinionated
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 239

                    #10
                    Oh, and why rewire? The faulty cable is pretty rare, but then it is pretty obvious when you encounter it.

                    Comment

                    • Gladdynook
                      Forum Junkie
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 358

                      #11
                      Other than to add capacity and safety, Insurance companies make you rewire once the house is a certain age. I think it is pre 1940?

                      Comment

                      • Janey
                        Freshie
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 33

                        #12
                        >lawt
                        My electrical skill set is still only limited to replacing switches, light fittings and power points. However I'll looking into getting more of it done myself (just as things always end up to be...). Rewiring is more for insurance, as it is a century old house.

                        Comment

                        • BigRedDog
                          Opinionated
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 226

                          #13
                          Friends did a re-wire a few months ago.
                          Over $20k if I remember right.

                          Comment

                          • drelly
                            Fanatical
                            • Jan 2004
                            • 5838

                            #14
                            I had a quote on a small 2 bedroom house and I think it was about $4k
                            You can find me at: Energise Web Design

                            Comment

                            • Wayne
                              Fanatical
                              • Jun 2004
                              • 10899

                              #15
                              Originally posted by lawt View Post
                              Assuming that the regs are still the same, you can do much of this yourself. You could run the wires and teminate power points, lights and light switches at least.
                              You could not connect anything to a switchboard though. Not sure on termination of the stove and hot water.
                              The necessary standards for this type of work were available on one of the govt web sites setting out what you can do and how to do it.

                              I did most of the rewire of my current house about 7yrs ago. Just got the sparky to terminate the oven and cook top and make off the board and check my work.
                              if you rewire yourself you will need to get it signed off and that can be where the problem starts. Would you, if you were an electrician, put your name to someone elses work? I wouldn't as the risk is too high for the reward.

                              Comment

                              Working...