Header Ad Module

Collapse

How much should it cost to replace/repair a decking balcony??

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • T&C
    Freshie
    • Sep 2012
    • 6

    #1

    How much should it cost to replace/repair a decking balcony??

    I would like to repair / replace decking timber of my balcony (about 2.4m off the ground, same level to the second floor). As one of the supporting post is twisted somehow or maybe settled.

    As a result, the post and few boundary joists MAY need to be replaced. I would like to replace the decking timber and the balustrades at the same time.

    The total area of the decking is about 10.5 metres long x 1.7m wide (about 178.5 linear metres), and I would like to replace it with 100 x 40 premium timber.

    I'd like to get new balustrades installed every 100mm. There are about 16 joists and 1 post out of alignment.

    I estimated the cost of the material around $1200 to $1500 based on the retail price from Bunnings warehouse.

    The quote I get seems pricy though, between 4500 to 5500.....Really struggling at the moment, any advice?
  • BigRedDog
    Opinionated
    • Sep 2012
    • 226

    #2
    Will you be doing the job yourself?

    Comment

    • T&C
      Freshie
      • Sep 2012
      • 6

      #3
      Originally posted by BigRedDog View Post
      Will you be doing the job yourself?
      Probably not, as I'm inexperience and have no time.

      Comment

      • Nice
        Addicted
        • May 2012
        • 524

        #4
        Then perhaps talk to a builder, they are VERY unlikely to quote off your description, no matter how thorough you think it might be. If the quote you already have is too much, then talk to another builder. If it is still too much, perhaps start to review your expectations ?

        Comment

        • T&C
          Freshie
          • Sep 2012
          • 6

          #5
          I think I might already followed that path, I checked the review on NoCowBoys and asked for the ones that available to quote the job. Haven't really check whether they are licensed builder or not, as I assume if they can do a good job, they are good enough for me.The material builders quoted are around $1800 - 2200$ range, maybe I was a bit too optimistic. And obviously, they charged 2400 - 3000 for labour. That's why I came here to have some second opinions, or, could someone recommend me some reasonable/cost efficient builders they work with before?

          Comment

          • drelly
            Fanatical
            • Jan 2004
            • 5838

            #6
            Where are you based?
            You can find me at: Energise Web Design

            Comment

            • T&C
              Freshie
              • Sep 2012
              • 6

              #7
              North Shore

              Comment

              • Bulldog
                Forum Junkie
                • Jul 2009
                • 253

                #8
                Check the Services listings on Trademe. Sure to find someone there, check references though.

                Comment

                • T&C
                  Freshie
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 6

                  #9
                  What I want is if someone could give me a idea of how much would the labour cost be to construct 1 m2 of decking and 1 metre of balustrade. As well as the rough material cost and waste allowance. It maybe the case that north shore is generally more expensive?

                  Comment

                  • davtam
                    Opinionated
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 100

                    #10
                    Try put the job, with associated photo's on builderscrack, and get a few quotes . .

                    Comment

                    • jimO
                      Fanatical
                      • Sep 2011
                      • 1763

                      #11
                      give the bullshit sites like builders crack and nocowboys a miss because they are mostly all cowboys and call your local placemakers or carters and ask for a couple of good builder recommendations

                      Comment

                      • Biggred
                        Freshie
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 7

                        #12
                        Pm me I have A brilliant builder.
                        He was recommended by place makers to me.

                        He did my full renovation but is in mt Eden so may not travel.
                        I fully recommend him.

                        Comment

                        • Meehole
                          Fanatical
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 1815

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Nice View Post
                          Then perhaps talk to a builder, they are VERY unlikely to quote off your description, no matter how thorough you think it might be. If the quote you already have is too much, then talk to another builder. If it is still too much, perhaps start to review your expectations ?
                          Hmm the old let's screw the builder trick 99!!
                          So only a price is required to construct the new deck? No mention of who is going to dismantle the old one and take away the rubbish?
                          $2000 for labour is 2 chippies doing 20 hours each @ $50 hour, don't forget from that hourly rate they have to pay their tax, ACC and travel costs. Or is that not kosher, should they do it for less?
                          Just get 2 or 3 builders to come out and quote for labour and materials or just labour and you provide the materials. Another place to look is check out Grey Power. My dad is a retired chippie that even though in his mid 70's still swings a hammer, so there may be someone like him that can do it.
                          I agree with not checking out No Cowboys, that outfit is a rip off and unfortunately it is not possible to make a comment about No Cowboys themselves on their own website, ever wondered why? It's a money making grab for an IT savvy "person" that knows sh*% from shoe polish about building and related trades.

                          Comment

                          Working...