Header Ad Module

Collapse

Choice of paint

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Gordon
    Freshie
    • Aug 2012
    • 2

    #1

    Choice of paint

    We are about to paint the exterior of a new house we have bought. We would like to keep prices down, but dont wish to be repainting the houses in another five years.

    I would be interested to hear feedback on how different brands of paint last. The best priced brand available to me is Taubmans. Wattyl is slightly more expensive and Dulux is the 3rd best price.

    Is there a significant in difference quality between Taubmans exterior paint versus Delux or Wattyl.

    Thanks
    Gordon
  • Gordon
    Freshie
    • Aug 2012
    • 2

    #2
    Should also have mentioned it is a 1930s weatherboard house

    Comment

    • Petals
      Freshie
      • Jun 2012
      • 67

      #3
      It will be the quality of the preparation that determines the longevity of the finish not just the paint itself. That said, just get some testpots of the different brands and see how they feel like to paint with yourself......... All the brands you mention have been around a long time...........and are good paints.......but if the prep is no good, the paint job wont last no matter how much you pay for the paint

      Comment

      • jimO
        Fanatical
        • Sep 2011
        • 1763

        #4
        most professional painters i know use resene

        Comment

        • Winston001
          Fanatical
          • May 2006
          • 1046

          #5
          A paintshop told me the number of years guaranteed by a manufacturer was a good indicator of quality. The better the paint the higher the price. Placemakers appear to have a 33% sale on paint twice a year so keep your eyes open. Gloss paints last longer.

          Fundamentally you need a clean surface to start with if you want any paint job to last.

          Comment

          • drelly
            Fanatical
            • Jan 2004
            • 5838

            #6
            Resene or Dulux is the paint of choice for the painters I know. I personally use Dulux as I can get it at trade prices with my NZPIF membership.
            You can find me at: Energise Web Design

            Comment

            • DazRaz
              Addicted
              • Jan 2011
              • 836

              #7
              For the amount of work which goes into the prep, the last thing you want to do is scrimp on the paint. I use Resene. No one pays the list price, there is always a special somewhere or a discount you can get from some group you are in. Have had 40% off before.

              Comment

              • AMR
                Addicted
                • Dec 2007
                • 886

                #8
                I have used Wattyl through the APIA membership card. The top end I.D range is pretty good. Their mid range stuff (Livingproof) can take a while to cure, especially if tinted. I found this out when running a vacuum cleaner through the worksite took a whole line off the paint.

                Comment

                • Meehole
                  Fanatical
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 1815

                  #9
                  Alot of painters use Resene colours as that is sometimes what is specified by the Interior Designer.

                  I do say Resene colours, not always Resene paints though!!

                  I prefer Dulux, my old school trade qualified painter brother in law used to use and recommend Resene but changed about 8 years ago to Dulux, bad experiences? Not sure?

                  It is dependant on prep though, if you don't prep an old house properly before painting then you waste your money.

                  Comment

                  • hawkeye
                    Addicted
                    • May 2004
                    • 744

                    #10
                    Go to Resenes and ask for a trade card (20% off). If you have rentals they should give it to you. Or if you know a painter they may be able to get 40% off for you. It is only on the 4 l cans usually though- the 10 l pails are already discounted.

                    Comment

                    • Maccachic
                      Fanatical
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 2759

                      #11
                      Farmlands card seems to offer good discounts.

                      Comment

                      • Rabia
                        Freshie
                        • Mar 2012
                        • 66

                        #12
                        I have also use Delux. no doubt its good in quality and also cheap. resenes also good but i did not try yet.

                        Comment

                        • foss
                          Opinionated
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 153

                          #13
                          Originally posted by drelly View Post
                          Resene or Dulux is the paint of choice for the painters I know. I personally use Dulux as I can get it at trade prices with my NZPIF membership.
                          Drelly

                          Where do you go to get trade price on Dulux? I have found if go to Guthrie Bowron with NZPIF card, I only get 20% off and charge extra for each litre of tinting. Trade can be lot more than 20% off how much are you talking and where?

                          thanks

                          Comment

                          • twoandcounting
                            Freshie
                            • Nov 2007
                            • 85

                            #14
                            Hi Gordon

                            They are all good brands and we have good painters who use them all (as well as Resene). If color isnt an issue, I would be comfortable with any of them

                            Good luck

                            Keith
                            www.builderscrack.co.nz

                            Comment

                            • heugumper
                              Freshie
                              • Jun 2012
                              • 98

                              #15
                              You could always ask for a trade (cash) account. I have just received my Resene one. As I did not want their credit the process was quite simple and the discounts well worth having. I decided on Resene over the alternatives because I know my way round their paint system and the shop is near my house.

                              Comment

                              Working...