Bargain home improvement places?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bargain home improvement places?

Hi everyone! I'm really getting into redecorating/renovating and I would like us to start a list of bargain home improvement places! Do you know of any stores which sell anything like curtains, wallpaper/paint, lighting, sanitary fixtures etc. for a good price? (Like maybe outlets/discount stores which carry discontinued lines or surplus stock or do wholesale?) Thanks in advance for your bargain tips

you get what you pay for

Comment

The Warehouse can be good for curtains, mirrors and suchlike.
      I bought a bathroom mirror from them last weekend at a 50% off sale.

If you are an APIA member, Wattyl and some of the hardware places give member discounts.

Lighting Plus just had a 25% off sale on lights and shades.
      Spotlight do curtains and blinds.

There are some places around that sell appliances and bathroom fittings as seconds for good prices.

Basically you need to keep your ears and eyes open, and be prepared to stock up when sale items come available.

Comment

I have had Autocad plans made to my specifications at fiverr.com ... for US$5! Not necessarily perfect, but almost risk-free!

Comment

Do be careful of the end of line places. Much of the stuff is there for a good reason. Odd size fittings, delaminating, flaws, warped or knotty timber.
          You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Really can't go past Trademe with the internet and Social Media these days, everything is and can be found online.............

Comment

Its hit and miss on what you get or what they have, but ive been buying stuff from graysonline for years. Always cheap.

Comment

Lighting direct does 25% off house-lot purchases as a standard (products on sale are not discounted again however). That was the case anyway a couple of years ago when I purchased a house-lot.

Comment

Hi here's a few things I do:

- Most things I get off Trade Me (if you have a good system you'll find great deals on everything from stove tops to plants, and people who are willing to ship to your door).
                  - Curtains: The Warehouse
                  - Anything I can't find cheaply elsewhere: Bunnings
                  - Also ask your mates for access to trade accounts for paint, timber, kitchens etc. Or you can set up your own accounts.

Hope it goes well.
                  Sebastian

Comment

@Sebastion

What do you mean by a 'good system' when it comes to trademe, and finding good deals?

Comment

I am thinking about buying from China and shipping a container load. This way I can save $ and also not make any impulse purchases when I visit the Bunnings. Some great quality products here in China and costs around one-quarter of NZ prices. I will be going back in Nov with a container to finish off the renovation on our properties. Maybe if anyone is interested, we could share the container??

Comment

Hi Davtam,

I feel most people sort of "dabble" with Trade Me so they don't get good value for the time they spend on it.

I don't have an awesome forumla but what I do works for me:

- First establish how much the item costs in the shops so I'm not wasting time. Sometimes it's just better to buy it in a sale etc.
                        - Then to establish market value on Trade Me I look at the "buy now" prices and also watchlist 10 items, when they sell you can see what they sold for.
                        - Then set up search terms. This is where I can get a bit of an edge on other traders by setting searches with common missspellings of the item, incorrect catagorisation of the item etc. That way you can find things that the other punters don't.
                        - I have them emailed to me daily.
                        - I also have variants on search terms like unwanted gift, moving, closing down, relocating etc. to help find motivated sellers.
                        - I check the emails briefly as soon as I wake up on my iPad before I get out of bed so I can beat the other people who look over breakfast or when they get to work etc.
                        - I just scan the emails quickly for "buy nows" and buy on the odd occaision when an awesome deal comes through. I prefer not to faff around with bidding.
                        - I just keep this process rolling consistently and I have a storage locker for my purchases so I have items ready when I need them for a renovation.

Hope that helps.
                        Sebastian

Originally posted by davtam View Post
                        @Sebastion

What do you mean by a 'good system' when it comes to trademe, and finding good deals?

Comment

Definitely helps, thanks for that. I'm sure you get your fair share of bargains. I wonder if someone could write some software that could automate some of the tasks . . .

Cheers

Comment

The home show has some good seconds and ex demo's that can be scored for good prices if you are lucky... they are not too often though.

As mentioned previously; Trademe is GOLD.
                            ...there's no future in working

Comment

You can actually check out Brandenberry, an Amish Outlet Furniture.

Comment

Working...
                              X