New Carpeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Carpeting

I was wondering if anyone knows roughly how much it costs to put new carpets in a 4 bed house? And do you think this will add much to the rental return?

Did a 3 bed house for $4.5K last December. I was more concerned about retaining tenants rather than increasing rent. The amount extra you can get will depend on the market you are renting to, area and expectations.

Comment

Hi Kimi

This is one of those - How long is a piece of string? questions (answer - double the diameter!!).

It really depends on what underlay you put down, and what standard of carpet you choose. Obviously a 9mm underlay with a thin nylon carpet is going to be a shite load cheaper than 11mm underlay and 100% pure Virgin wool (from ugly sheep!) or the new "Rhino" carpet.

A hint though - the price for cheaper carpet quoted, often doesn't include the smooth-edge (to hold down the carpet) and carpet layers labour. If you go to more expensive carpet, it usually does. The carpet retailer will be adding those costs into the overall charge.

Of course, it's horses for courses.
      Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Another option is to have a look on trademe for house lots of secondhand carpet in good nick.

Might not be feasible if you're still in Aus, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than new.

Comment

On a side note, what does everyone think about carpet underlay for a investment property? One of my properties is due for recarpeting and are quite tempted to save about $650 in the underlay costs. I personally don't think it will have any effect on the rental side - It would surely make it more comfortable if I was living in the place myself.... but still $650 is $650, and as this is a long term rental and probably going to end up re-carpeting in another 6-10 years anyway.

What is everyone thoughts on underlay? and just re-using the old stuff even though a bit worn?

Comment

sbw,

This is false economy. The underlay is under the carpet to save on the wear and tear on the carpet. If you don't have it the carpet just wears out faster.

Unless you can get cheap/2nd hand carpet every 7-10 years, why bother? Put in underlay and the carpet will last longer.
            Patience is a virtue.

Comment

interesting point. never looked at it this way.
              Thanks for the insight... from experience I'm guessing?

Comment

It's the movement that wears carpet. Underlay reduces movement of the carpet to an extent but the very best way to prevent movement and make your carpets last ages is to glue the carpet directly to the floor. No underlay at all.

Lasts a lot longer, but is a right cow to lift when you do come to do so.

Comment

sbw,

I bought a reno which had no underlay. The carpet was completed munted after only 5 years. (not the example below)

It's the movement that wears carpet. Underlay reduces movement of the carpet to an extent but the very best way to prevent movement and make your carpets last ages is to glue the carpet directly to the floor. No underlay at all.

Lasts a lot longer, but is a right cow to lift when you do come to do so.
                  I'd say more like an absolute mammoth!!! LOL! Trouble is too, if the house you've bought has glued carpet and the previous owners (NOT tenants, mind you) have allowed their cats/dogs/children to wee and poo on the carpet - not only is it hard to do but it's beeping gagging!!!!

And on that one, I do speak from experience!!!! (And that job was me helping out a mate!! Yes, I'm a sucker for punishment sometimes!)
                  Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Lay the new non-glued down carpet directly over the old glued down stuff - use it as an underlay.
                    You'll need to cut and remove the old stuff around the edges for the smoothedge strips to go in, but its a good way to go.

Comment

this sounds intense. Not laying carpet myself and don't think i'll ever glue it down either. I did recently rip up some old stuff that was stapled down and that was a bitc* to remove all the little staples and nails!

I've got a recent quote of $2,500 for a 3 bedroom 80m2 house. (excluding bathroom and kitchen) Forlongs in Hamilton have 24 month interest free (all the time) are pretty good and easy and also will give me a big Ham if I do it before xmas SBW needs some ham before his next fight

Comment

sbw...does the underlay need replacing? is it knackered? when you push on the carpet with your foot does it 'spring' back? if so no need to change underlay ---- had a rental re done lately, previous carpet was in for 10+ years and the underlay was fine.....on the other hand done one couple of years ago where the underlay was less than 5 years old and that one needed to be replaced (worn out and pet urine stains - you can't get those out)....

Comment

Underlay is buggered! Im was just being a tight arse and trying to save some cash. I recently carpeted my other place (with new underlay) and it was extremely springy and very nice... But im not living there... So was thinking it just has to have the clean tidy and new appeal. However it sounds convincing that underlay will make the carpet last longer so therefore iwill reconsider and do a bit more research.

Comment

URGENT! Type of Carpet & Vinyl

Hi all,

So just had the guy come over and measure up for Carpet at a new rental of mine. I told him I wanted the $59 carpet, which is a heavy duty loop whole.

He was convinced that it would be no good for a rental as it would "snag', especially if furniture was dragged, and once it is 'snagged' it would be really hard to fix or replace - you would have to replace the whole lot.

So... he suggested a cut pile carpet (at bloody $99!) which in context would be $600 more.

I have a wool loop pile down at my other place (only since April/May) and haven't noticed any problems yet.

Anyone thoughts would be great. Meeting him tomorrow arvo and he'll have two quotes for me - one with the wool cut pile and other with the heavy duty loop (think it is poly..somethingerather).

I also told him the vinyl I wanted and he said it was $39 a meter. BUT again, he tried to upsell me to a 'commercial' quality at $59.

What do you think? I am getting ripped off by a good salesman? Or go for the cheaper one.
                            Plan is not to sell the house for at least another 5-6 years, even at that (long term rental). House is likely to be rented to a family with kids, or young professionals.

Urgent replies please.

Comment

Update:

Have just got off the phone from a real estate agent (who owns half a doz rentals) and my dad (who is knowledabel and experienced). Both say I'm a sucker and are getting upsold (my initial thoughts). Can anyone oppose this view?

Comment

Working...
                              X