No announcement yet.

Owner to Project manage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the end of the day the PM is just another contractor but part of their role is to ensure that the builders show up, the work is completed on time, that the contractor makes good any mistakes, that builders stay on the job and that the work is up to standard so that it doesn't fail an inspection.
    These are all scenarios that will more than likely happen if you PM it yourself and you do not have the building knowledge/expertise or skills to complete this particular task.
    This is what experienced PM's do day in day out and they and their skills will become more sought after as regulations continue to tighten within the industry.
    Who do you think runs all the jobs for the residential housing companies and for the commercial builds?
    In Australia a PM sits behind the desk and runs the job, often not even going on the site, this work usually undertaken by a site supervisor or superintendant. Here in NZ a PM is more likely to be on site or going to sites the majority of the time with the balance sitting behind the desk updating the build schedules.

Comment

Perhaps you are a good PM, however I dont know of anyone who has used a PM on a building project and that project has gone well -, ie on time, on budget. Would love to hear from homeowners that did use PMs and their project came in on time and the costs were on budget without too much overspend.

Comment

My plan is to get the builder to be accountable for inspections - they main areas of PM for me would be organisation of subbies, schedule, making sure the builders turn up, mistakes are fixed etc.

I actually agree with majer, I don't know anyone who's had a good experience with an external PM. I spoke to a friend this week about his new build. He said it was late by a few months, and he said it was the PM's fault, not the builder

Comment

Pretty sad to hear of all the bad experiences people have had with external project managers. Sometimes wonder how these people can stay in business if every project they deliver is over time/budget.

Comment

It's a bit hard to be so critical and judgmental when you are merely an observer. Like any trade they probably wouldn't stay in business if they were useless and didn't do their job properly. It's the old story you pay for what you get, pay peanuts get monkeys.
            A project manager has not only building skills but also a thorough knowledge of the building code and the level of workmanship expected to be done by the other trades. The other thing they have is really really good customer service skills especially when they have to deal with overstressed and know it all owners who change their minds as often as they change their undies. Also dealing with Council inspectors day after day is reason enough to go home and attack the Glenfiddich! But good luck to those who want to give it a go. I believe you should always try something first for yourself to form an opinion.

Comment

I personally am speaking from experience. I paid a fee to the architect for project managment. The council inspections all passed, but that had nothing do the with the PM. That was absolutely 100% about having a builder with knowledge of council building consent rules, and would have got throught them without a PM.
              I also know someone recently who used a building PM coy, and the same hassles as my renno........delays and labour costs blowing out. Again, love to hear from homeowners who have used building PMs successfully.

Comment

It's the old story you pay for what you get, pay peanuts get monkeys.
                Does that apply to the wooden heads in Wellingtown?
                Perhaps they are due a huge pay rise?
                "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Marej View Post
                  I personally am speaking from experience. I paid a fee to the architect for project managment. The council inspections all passed, but that had nothing do the with the PM. That was absolutely 100% about having a builder with knowledge of council building consent rules, and would have got throught them without a PM.
                  I also know someone recently who used a building PM coy, and the same hassles as my renno........delays and labour costs blowing out. Again, love to hear from homeowners who have used building PMs successfully.
                  There are plenty of architects who don't know how to physically build a house. I think you are missing the point, a PM is usually a trade qualified carpenter/builder to begin with. Delays and labour cost blow outs happen in building companies, especially when the company desperate for work overpromise to get the job and then underdeliver.
                  You won't find many homeowners on this site that have used a PM, we are a nation of the No 8 wire mentality and prefer to sort it out for ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                  X