Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of reno permit questions

In Auckland, in a complete bathroom renovation, which requires permit;

Does a power point over the sink have to be a special circuit breaker one, or can a standard power socket be used?

Does there have to be an extractor fan?

Thanks

cube
    DFTBA

Hi,

Easiest way is to install a power point with a built in RCD. Should cost about $80.

WCC, if not all councils require extract fans in bathrooms and laundrys. I would recommend 150mm min ducting diameter.

Would need electrican to issue certificate of compliance to get building consent completion.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Put an extractor fan in even if it isn't compulsory. Why risk mold problems?

Comment

power points in bathrooms need an RCD somewhere in the circuit. If the house has modern wiring with all circuits protected at the circuit board by RCDs, then you don;t need another one on the bathroom socket. Older houses you will need one.

Comment

Not 100% sure but i think there's a minimum distance they have to be from the sink too.

Comment

Originally posted by roughy View Post
            Not 100% sure but i think there's a minimum distance they have to be from the sink too.
            The rules around power in damp areas changed a little when houses were required to have RCDs on the switchboard. There was a Code of Practice nzcep2:1993 which is now archived

which had a lot of good guidence on placement of devices in damp areas (and defined what a damp area was). With RCDs you can place the power points just about anywhere. Given that it is archived I expect that it has been over-ridden but there is nothing similar in the new codes.

Comment

Thanks - that is all consistent with what the council man told me.

The issue was not one of me building, but buying a house that has been recently renovated (and CCC about to be issued) - I thought is was strange that the power point wasn't an RCD one, but the fact that it is new wiring explains that.

And you don't need an extractor fan in a bathroom that has a window that opens to the outside (although the point of 'put one in anyway' is a good one - in fact there is one, it just isn't vented anywhere at this time!)

Thanks everyone.
              DFTBA

Comment

Originally posted by cube View Post
                And you don't need an extractor fan in a bathroom that has a window that opens to the outside (although the point of 'put one in anyway' is a good one - in fact there is one, it just isn't vented anywhere at this time!)

Thanks everyone.
                Agree with "put on in anyway".

Fans that don't go anywhere (normally just into the ceiling cavity) aren't really "extractor" fans... they are more like "roof framing destruction accelerators". One of my pet hobby-horses.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin McCandless View Post
                  Agree with "put on in anyway".

Fans that don't go anywhere (normally just into the ceiling cavity) aren't really "extractor" fans... they are more like "roof framing destruction accelerators". One of my pet hobby-horses.
                  This one is mounted on a block wall, and there needs to be a hole cut in the wall. It's not wired at the moment (the wiring is in place, just not connected either end)
                  DFTBA

Comment

Working...
                  X