No announcement yet.

Good Tile Layer Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the tiling job is finished and I have left feedback about this guy. I tried to be as fair as possible and this is what I said:

Well I'd like to leave a good review for Laszlo but I can't. Laszlo was very quick to contact me, seemed keen for the work, went out saw the job and came back with a good price. So I told him to go ahead. And then things went downhill rather rapidly. I have quite a big job with around 40 different trades involved. So I have a development manager to run things. Laszlo got into arguments with him and the carpenter onsite. But we needed the tiling done straight away and so perservered with Laszlo. He did an average job, I was hoping for much better workmanship. To his credit Laszlo did offer to fix any bits I didn't like and did in fact do so. But there was really only so much that could be fixed and quite a lot that just had to be accepted. The carpet guys had to do some extra things to mitigate the tile edges and to get the carpet/tiling job to work. I found I spent a lot of time dealing with Laszlo. More than all the other tradespeople combined. He kept wanting to get paid as the job progressed and was really quite pushy about that. In the end I just paid him in full because I couldn't be bothered with any further hassle. I would not use Laszlo again. Life is too short.

And then this is his reply:

Not Great
    I did give quote in just 3 hours from the call from David ,so I do not understand ,,The Responsiveness 3 of 4 ,he i saying .the same but lower point !Adherence to schedule 2 of 4 I was down 80m2 tiling ,7 room hips of catting just in 5 days ...what should be 5 of 4 ,strange ! I had a little trouble with his builder team yes ,, I ask him nicely to move the tiles near to the place where I do the jobs ,..cause the tiles was 2 story down ,,and at list 60 m walk I got about 40 x10tiles at list 20kg /box, , then his builder went crazy on me ,what do i think that is my job he is not going to pay for his labors for me ,bla bla bla ,,we had the argument with his builder , i d did not quote 1/2 a day labor for the tiling extra ,Well I just down 1/3 of the job ,,Dave did show up on the third day ! He was still coming like $3600.00 then he only gave me deposit , Ohh LAzlo I'm not sure I will pay you on the end when you finished ,cause my builder told me you doing very bad quality job ,, I was down 2 of 7 room that time ..how could he possible now in the beginning I will do a bad job on the end?,so he will not pay me on the end just cause his builder told him not to?, yes I was pushy on the money from that moment!, he check my job on his neas with his builder to find mistakes he could not find at all. , I got only paid on the when i finished cause i did not give him My registration number,until he gave me the check, he tried to get my rego number earlier 3 times 3 different kind of trick to get it , twice was very smart way , then a treating not to get paid if i dont give him my rego number before i finish ,I din not give him ,that how i get paid , he just try to safe $3k himself ,, so this feedback it was not about the quality or anything this is only only revenge , cause even hi tried he had to pay me on the end ! Nice try Dave !rich guy again .like always ! so please ignore Daves feedback, it has nothing to do with my job ,Thx

So I strongly recommend if you want tiling work done, DO NOT hire Laszlo Toth from Euro Home Builders.
    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

The quality of his counter argument, in well-expressed, logical and easy to understand Queen's English, says a lot to any potential employer.

Comment

some people do better on smaller jobs than big

often they need someone on site who can take them physically through exactly what's wanted at each stage

this is especially so with new arrivals who will default to specifications they are used to which may have no link to local requirements

we can see from the photos that Davo has aimed for a very high level of fitment, which is great, but in those cases the on-site manager MUST be able to work and communicate well with the subs coming in

knew a lazlo once, very nice hungarian aerospace engineer, just couldn't get work signing off major airline repairs until he had something like 10 years of local experience, catch-22
        Last edited by eri; 19-12-2010, 03:06 PM.
        have you defeated them?
        your demons

Comment

So if I understand correctly he quoted to do 80m2 of tiles in 7 rooms in 5 days. Unless he had a reasonable size team I can see why he had problems keeping to that schedule.

He also forgot to include rental of a teleporter in his quote to teleport the tiles into each room, not to mention what I guess would be at least 50kg of grout and 100kg of glue

Comment

Laszlo from Euro home builders mentioned to me he is typical European (Hungarian), but not a kiwi cowboy when he was quoting.

after i gave him the job, he showed us completely different attitude. I had to call police to remove him from my property as he argued with my plumber and myself due to a week delay.
            and my bathroom leaked 3 months after. I just dont know how i can upload the photos up here.
            Last edited by revdev; 22-04-2012, 05:51 AM. Reason: language removed

Comment

smartkevin, sorry to hear about your problems with Laszlo. He is an aggressive person alright.

I fell for the same thing. Prior to the job he seemed so nice, really motivated to get the job done and so on. And then when he starts, it all changes.

He doesn't get on well with anyone.

Did you hire him through the BuildersCrack website? If so, you must leave a review of your experiences on there so others can be warned.
              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Builders crack is a waste of time

Comment

Oh yeah, it's a terrible place. Would never go back there.

Seems to be a place where tradespeople who can't get work (because they're useless) any other way go to try and find clients. And so a lot of them don't have any references at all, which is the whole point of the site in the first place.

Tried 3 different trades on that site, they were all absolutely hopeless.
                  Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                    Oh yeah, it's a terrible place. Would never go back there.

Seems to be a place where tradespeople who can't get work (because they're useless) any other way go to try and find clients. And so a lot of them don't have any references at all, which is the whole point of the site in the first place.

Tried 3 different trades on that site, they were all absolutely hopeless.
                    I had the same experience when i've used the "nocowboys" website.. I've used 3 tradespeople with "glowing referrals"from the site & had nightmarish problems with all of them. To elaborate, the first tradesguy was a "bathroom installer", he cocked the shower install so badly that the tenant had to go without using shower for 2 weeks. Luckily her sister lived close by! Then similar experiences with 2 plumbers i used from the same site,for different jobs , couldnt even fix basic leaky tap issues properly.One plumber told me i needed to replace a low pressure HWC with a mains pressure HWC, costing around 2k to fix a pressure problem he himself had created through using a wrong part in the low pressure system which caused a dribble instead of a flow to come out of the shower faucet.

So how did these trademen generate all these wonderful reviews??????Perhaps because customers dont like leaving negative feedback.

Comment

no cowboys is a waste of time

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                        Well we've hired a guy from BuildersCrack.

He phoned up quickly, went and saw the job today and gave a quote which is very reasonable.

He's got good feedback on the site and I've seen photos of his work, so hopefully he'll work out well.

The guy from Sam's business did not show up.

Thanks for the help everyone.
                        I have heard good stuff about them, but never used them before - so there legit?

Comment

Originally posted by loftydog View Post
                          I have heard good stuff about them, but never used them before - so there legit?
                          you need to read the rest of the thread

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
                            you need to read the rest of the thread
                            I have...seems to go either way - my guess is probably best to pick guys with good reviews and be sure that the reviews are regarding jobs similar to yours. If your looking for a tiler (not saying this happened) and the person has good reviews for fencing and decks, doesnt necessarily mean your going to get a good tiling job. But I would imagine that if they had multiple positive reviews for similar jobs it should be fine

Comment

Originally posted by loftydog View Post
                              I have...seems to go either way - my guess is probably best to pick guys with good reviews and be sure that the reviews are regarding jobs similar to yours. If your looking for a tiler (not saying this happened) and the person has good reviews for fencing and decks, doesnt necessarily mean your going to get a good tiling job. But I would imagine that if they had multiple positive reviews for similar jobs it should be fine
                              Well if the site is anything like "No Cowboys" even with the greatest of feedback you still get complete turkeys turning up to do the job.

Comment

if you want a tiler why not ask at your local tile shop for a couple of names of proper tilers not some handyman turkey on a b#%%s%#t site

Comment

Working...
                                X