Header Ad Module

Collapse

Energy smart scheme run around

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HeatherB
    Freshie
    • Jun 2009
    • 30

    #1

    Energy smart scheme run around

    I am an overseas investor with 6 places in the Manawatu. I need to get all of them partially or fully insulated (ceiling and/or floor) to bring them up to standard.
    I applied in July 09 to have energy smart assess them and so far they have been to one house only. They provided a quote to install insulation that in fact already exists in that house and is in good order so I have no idea what the heck is going on. Am now very dubious to continue as the service has been very slow and in my opinion very poor.

    Has anyone had success with particular companies in Manawatu by chance please? I'm looking for a referral from a happy customer if I am going to spend 12-15k and don't want to just rely on builderscrack.co.nz I can't afford to 'trust in the force' with 6 places and being too far away to check on workmanship.
    Thank you!
  • lidistick
    Freshie
    • Sep 2007
    • 64

    #2
    I've just used Phil from Trademe to overlay my poorly installed Pink Batts. He blows wool insulation and from $7.50 a sq meter is reasonably cheap. Doesn't deal with the EECA but heaps cheaper anyway.

    Workmanship is very good. I've been up to inspect as I wasn't at home to view it while it was done but he got up to the smallest of crevices and filled it up good

    Go on Trademe, type wool insulation

    He will go to most places in the North Island.

    Cheers.

    Comment

    • muppet
      Banned
      • Sep 2003
      • 10593

      #3
      Agree with everything you say about Phil.
      I got him to do two of our rentals.

      There was old Insulfluf in both and he overlaid them with wool.

      Comment

      • motivated
        Forum Junkie
        • Oct 2007
        • 371

        #4
        Heather B.
        I am in the Manawatu and also am involved in building work. I think placemakers( i deal with them) might organise insulation under this scheme. If you want to PM me your email address --we could communicate directly--and if you wish i could look into it .
        P

        Comment

        • HeatherB
          Freshie
          • Jun 2009
          • 30

          #5
          Incredibly helpful, thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

          Comment

          • Live Warm
            Freshie
            • Jul 2011
            • 3

            #6
            Although this is an old thread I thought I would mention that EnergySmart now have a new manager and team and are more than happy to help landlords with insulation.

            In terms of insulating over old insulation - what some homeowners don't realise is that although you may have insulation in the ceiling it may be old and no longer the correct rating for your region. A top up of insulation lifts the rating to the correct standard. The more insulation the warmer. There's a saying - you can never have enough insulation!!

            Cheers

            Comment

            • TheLiberalLeft
              Banned
              • Aug 2010
              • 2630

              #7
              You mean - there's a saying in the insulation sellers and installers handbook that says....

              Comment

              • Live Warm
                Freshie
                • Jul 2011
                • 3

                #8
                Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
                You mean - there's a saying in the insulation sellers and installers handbook that says....
                Yes, but also from my own personal experience.
                P.S. I thought you might be interested in the documentary How to Boil A Frog - very clever film - 'The movie about saving civilization - with comedy'. Saw it at a Transition Town meeting.

                Cheers

                Comment

                • Harvey
                  Opinionated
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 158

                  #9
                  Can you get the energy smart subsidy if you a doing a DIY insulation job?

                  Comment

                  • Live Warm
                    Freshie
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 3

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                    Can you get the energy smart subsidy if you a doing a DIY insulation job?
                    No - as an EECA registered provider we would have to sell and install the installation. Check out the Energywise (EECA) website and click on Funding Available (I can't post the link here because I've only just joined propertytalk)

                    cheers

                    Comment

                    • north shore
                      Forum Junkie
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 398

                      #11
                      We redid our roof insulation last year with Phil from trademe, it was cheaper and a higher R factor that an installer from the energy smart was going to do. Would recommend shopping around. We had 3 quotes and there was a large variance in price.

                      Comment

                      Working...