No announcement yet.

Manurewa - how did it go downhill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifnal is about as low as you can go. Right alongside the motorway.
    Place advertised is down a ROW as well - ugh.
    Last edited by flyernzl; 04-03-2011, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NovInvestor View Post
      "plain old poverty and low educational standards that is the root cause."

Can't agree more to that.

I see the main problem with society is lack of moral/ethical education, as well as financial education in schools.

So when you have kids who have bad parents, the school system simply cannot change their moral/ethical values.

And the violence on TV/computer games etc just makes things worse.

This doesn't just happen in NZ, this happens everywhere in the world.
      Quoted for the sad truth in this post...

Although I tend to argue about the TV/Computer games part of your post. It all comes down to the parents. If the parents fail, then TV/gaming becomes an negative impact. Parents should limit TV/gaming time and explain the difference between the make believe of gaming and real life

Comment

Unfortunately the school system does not teach:

1) ethics
        2) acceptable behavior
        3) manners
        4) etc (Moral Education)

So if the kids have bad parents, they got very little chance to change and succeed as a human being, even if they go to Auckland Grammar, it's the same.

Comment

Add critical thinking to that list which schools do not teach

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
            Shifnal is about as low as you can go. Right alongside the motorway.
            Place advertised is down a ROW as well - ugh.
            Gang area, Shifnal / Trimdon and the other street I cant remember.

Go for a drive down there and you will see what I mean.

Comment

I was in Tokoroa the other day, a lot of properties have halved in value and I saw a 3 bedroom house advertised at $70,000 which an agent told me would probably sell for $65.000 or less and rent for $130pw.

Comment

Unless someone comes up with some work, I guess it is destined to become a bit of a ghost town.
                Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

Originally posted by Errol View Post
                  I was in Tokoroa the other day, a lot of properties have halved in value and I saw a 3 bedroom house advertised at $70,000 which an agent told me would probably sell for $65.000 or less and rent for $130pw.
                  Not a bad yield to quote to the ausies.

Just as long as you miss out the bit about not being able to find a tenant and your rates insurance and maintenance are more than the illusionary rent.

Comment

Thats an interesting point, as population reduces but the same infrastructure remains, thats more that each person needs to be paying in rates. (via the property owner)
                    Other sources of revenue - parking, user pays facilities etc will obviously reduce meaning more has to be raised from the property owners.

Its a shame the converse doesnt work - more people, lower rates
                    Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

Originally posted by Keithw View Post
                      , lower rates
                      The council dont have this phrase in their handbooks.

Only words and phrases like junket, designer building, grants, flash office, legacy white elephants.

p.s. Actually the last one is not in the council handbook

Comment

I was in Tokoroa the other day, a lot of properties have halved in value
                        These were the properties that could be bought for $25000 about 7 years ago. A lot were bought by Aussies, who then made money when they sold a few years ago.
                        "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

I was googling something completely off this topic and somehow came across this thread. What an informative thread it is. Thought I’d register and share on my thoughts on Manurewa as it is today.
                          We bought a house about a five minute walk away from Southmall, four months ago. We are down a ROW and the street we’re on is fantastic, great neighbours who look after their properties. There’s a mix of Europeans, Indians, Asians, Islanders, Maori’s and others I’m sure. House prices in Auckland is disgusting but we wanted to get away from renting. Because we have a large family, we needed a large home and most of the large homes within our budget were in Manurewa. Although a large reason, it’s just one of the reasons why we bought in Manurewa.
                          The bad? We hear police sirens every day at all times. Stray dogs. Alcohol store on every corner. Prostitutes litter Southmall at night, at the odd times I’ve driven past one or two at day. And Southmall is definitely not the place to walk around at night time.
                          The good? Car chases provide great entertainment Everything is close by. At Southmall, there’s most of the necessary stores including 5 banks along Grt Sth Rd. At my childs primary school, they teach a Responsible Thinking Process (RTP) which is a behaviour management programme. Great, I think, for a lot of children who come from homes that don’t practise or teach these things.
                          Overall I’m happy living in Manurewa. I wouldn’t walk anywhere at night time, doesn’t matter where I am. I’m naturally a security conscious person so I bought a secure house, added to it and my family are all involved in martial art sports and self-defence classes. I suppose it depends on your financial capabilities and what really matters to you.

Comment

I think Manurewa is on the up & up. Nationally median house prices in Manurewa rose 25% in one year ,greater than any other rise throughout NZ. Rental properties there give a better rate of return compared to many other suburbs like Pakuranga,Greenlane etc.
                            Having previously lived in Manurewa for 20 years during the 70's & 80's ,i do believe that we're going to see some major improvements & it will prove to be prudent to invest there.
                            I also think that Clendon which was one of the worst areas of Manurewa is improving a lot.I went for a drive around that area about a month back & was pleasantly surprised that the area did not look grubby anymore especially along the main arterial routes.

People totally exaggerate the crime & low life occuring in these areas .Generally I find the people living in Manurewa more down to earth & friendly in comparison too wealthier suburbs where its more common not to know there next door neighbour.

And Manurewa has always been way better than Papakura in my opinion .
                            Last edited by mrsaneperson; 14-09-2013, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                              I think Manurewa is on the up & up. Nationally median house prices in Manurewa rose 25% in one year ,greater than any other rise throughout NZ. Rental properties there give a better rate of return compared to many other suburbs like Pakuranga,Greenlane etc.
                              Having previously lived in Manurewa for 20 years during the 70's & 80's ,i do believe that we're going to see some major improvements & it will prove to be prudent to invest there.
                              I also think that Clendon which was one of the worst areas of Manurewa is improving a lot.I went for a drive around that area about a month back & was pleasantly surprised that the area did not look grubby anymore especially along the main arterial routes.

People totally exaggerate the crime & low life occuring in these areas .Generally I find the people living in Manurewa more down to earth & friendly in comparison too wealthier suburbs where its more common not to know there next door neighbour.

And Manurewa has always been way better than Papakura in my opinion .

Sean Wood is single handedly "Regentrifying" the area, taking rubbish houses and making them look nice.
                              Clendon has had a lot of new housing developement around the edges and in certain spots, its got a new McDonalds.
                              The young gang groups have grown up and dont cause the trouble they once did.

Having bought property in clendon in 2008 and 2010, I can see the improvements.
                              Have bought 3 houses this year in clendon, and they are about 35% more expensive than in 2008.

Comment

Well the rubbish tenants... where would they go?

Comment

Working...
                                X