Bathroom renovation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom renovation

Its already started, I have just completed the kitchen. Left with no money, But that is not stopping me from investigating the next renovation. Bathroom..

It is actually more then just the bathroom. It is 3 rooms.
    Bathroom (has a bath and vanity), Laundry (which has the shower, washing machine and drier) and seperate toilet

None of the rooms are overly large. The plan would be to do all three at the same time. (we have a second bathroom downstairs that can be used while upstairs is out of action)
    I have considered knocking out the two walls that seperate the three and then putting back one wall to make a full bathroom with everything including toilet, And a seperate room for laundry

Decided that was going to be way to expensive. All the plumbing is in those two walls. And moving the toilet...

Figured the best plan would be to keep them as they are.
    It would be a full refit.

replace all wall and ceiling linings (all the wet areas of the house is made of hardboard rather then gib)
    To keep costs down.. not going to be re arranging the rooms, Everything will go tback to its original places - except new stuff!

There is a few things i do not know.
    1 - i would presume all the walls would need to be gibbed with aqualine. However i have seen "Villaboard" mentioned on the internet a few times. I dont quite understand what this is

2 - waterproofing, So this needs to be done regardless of wether we are tiling or not? - pictures i have seen it looks like either a blue or yellow paint stuff that is everywhere

We do not know if we are going to tile anything yet
    The floors will be sanded/polished floors - waterproofed of course

If we went with some tiles, That would probably be limited to around the bath and maybe the shower depending on what kind we get
    Probably not on any of the walls, But who knows

Oh. The waterproofing - is it done by the plumber? or totally different tradeesman?

Any idea on costs? - for tradesmen only - other costs i know will vary depending on what we buy - will be going quality - methven taps. maybe clearlite or englefield shower/bath/vanitys

the rooms are at a guess
    bathroom - 1.6-1.7m wide, 2.4m long
    Laundry is a tad bigger, maybe 1.8m wide x2.4
    toilet is a bit wider then average.. 1.2mx 2.4

will need:
    Re Gibbed, Plastered.
    Probably very limited electrical work required
    Shower/dryer vented
    gib painted.. some maybe tiled (seratone or other products may be cheaper/better)
    floors sanded/polished
    plumber to install all new bathroomware

For the laundry, We have a front loading washing machine, We are considering getting a bench (the same as the kitchen bench) made fit over the washing machine with a cabinet and laundry tub put into the bench. then hanging the dryer on the wall above everything

This is turning into a long post. But is there anything specific that i need to be aware of with bathrooms?
    Anyone who has been there done that, Opinions on different products - like seratone vs tiles vs some other product that i do not know about yet..

Andrew
    Last edited by muppet; 28-07-2009, 07:08 PM.

Villaboard is for around the shower, under the shower lining, bit more water proof than acqualine, but more expensive, so only need a sheet or two.

Waterproofing there are guys that do that exclusivly, don't think plumbers do it, but builders do it occasionally, in my experience at least. Yes to the blue paint.

Tiles on the wall, if you are going to do that, stick to smaller thin tiles so you don't have to strengthen and straighten the walls too much, as the big tiles don't like bends curves etc. Tiles on floor similar issues have to make sure floor is level which may mean nailing/gluing those tiling underlay sheets, which raises the level another 3-4 mm.

One plumber told me to allow $1000 for each thing they hook up, eg $1000 for shower, $1000 for sep bath. But if you're putting things in exactly the same place, will be cheaper ? you should be able to install toilet yourself as long as you get one with pipes in same places, its not too hard.

Comment

Yea, When i say exactly. i mean they will be in the same spots, But i highly doubt the waste pipes will be in the right spots! - for the shower at least

So does the waterproofing affect paint finishes?

One other question, Does the ceiling lining also need to be aqualine + not normal ceiling paint?
      In the kitchen we used an oil based paint for the walls, But standard ceiling paint for the ceiling

Comment

Is a Banthroom where Bantha go to the toilet?
        Bantha: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bantha
        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
          Is a Banthroom where Bantha go to the toilet?
          Bantha: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bantha
          Yes, I have one. But i was not going to brag about it

Comment

Originally posted by starlyte View Post
            Yea, When i say exactly. i mean they will be in the same spots, But i highly doubt the waste pipes will be in the right spots! - for the shower at least

So does the waterproofing affect paint finishes?

One other question, Does the ceiling lining also need to be aqualine + not normal ceiling paint?
            In the kitchen we used an oil based paint for the walls, But standard ceiling paint for the ceiling
            Waterproofing is for wet areas and will affect the paint finish (it is rough). You will need waterproofing behind the tiles but not where you intend to paint. For painting I would use a paint designed for steam areas - ask a paint shop. You don't need to use oil paints these days - the water based enamyls are very good now. The ceiling doesn't need to be aqualine

Comment

Consider over-specing your extractor fan. We put in a bigger fan than our bathroom theoretically needed and we're very pleased with it. My mother just got a new house built with fans that're minimum spec and she's not happy with how long it takes to clear the steam out of the bathroom after a shower.

Comment

Originally posted by One View Post
                Consider over-specing your extractor fan. We put in a bigger fan than our bathroom theoretically needed and we're very pleased with it. My mother just got a new house built with fans that're minimum spec and she's not happy with how long it takes to clear the steam out of the bathroom after a shower.
                Ha! That's the first thing I thought of too - properly-sized (and I agree re erring on the side of over-specing) good-quality exterior-vented extractor fan one of the best investments you can ever make. In bathrooms, in laundry room, in kitchen....

Comment

Buy the biggest fan you can get, put it right above the shower and you can dry your hair as you wash. :-)

Comment

Consider taking the walls out. Just did it in a renovation, and the larger space looks so much better. Also, for the fan, don't put straight above shower - it'll get really cold while you are taking the shower.

Comment

Originally posted by pl View Post
                      Also, for the fan, don't put straight above shower - it'll get really cold while you are taking the shower.
                      This would depend on the type of shower. Using an enclosed shower the air will come from above the cubicle and you won't feel a thing. Ours is an 'open' shower and fan is above and I don't feel a breeze then either. My theory - take the steam out immediately rather than let is roam around the bathroom before being expelled.

Comment

Working...
                      X