No announcement yet.

Moister master, hrv, dvs. Which one is best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those transfer kits are getting pretty clever with thermostats and dampers.
    With a wood burner I'd think they'd just about be a must have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
      Which type DB?
      Smartvent make a heat exchanger model now.
      looking to get the new smartvent evolve main difference between this model and all the others (incl hrv,dvs,mm, etc) is that this has a moisture/humidity sensor. Means that it doesnt need to be on if its dry enough, and you can ramp it up or down from the tablet/app on your smartphone if you have wifi.

Comment

• wish i had a woodburner so i could add the HT

Comment

• Just done an inspection at one of the properties I manage -owner decided to put in a Dry-Matic system 3 weeks ago and already the property is noticeably drier. Tenants are very impressed as am I -typical CHCH single glazed home now no longer has dripping condensation issues. Give Lance Giles a call if you're interested really nice guy to work with not pushy in the slightest 027 2290 369 email [email protected]
          Kaye
          www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

• Originally posted by donnyboy View Post
            looking to get the new smartvent evolve main difference between this model and all the others (incl hrv,dvs,mm, etc) is that this has a moisture/humidity sensor. Means that it doesnt need to be on if its dry enough, and you can ramp it up or down from the tablet/app on your smartphone if you have wifi.
            The smartvent people seem to be putting a lot of research into this at the moment - things have progressed a lot from the simple 'push air in' systems of yersteryear.
            I saw the 'evolve' brochure at the wholesalers on Saturday - note to self, check it out some more.

Comment

• Originally posted by DIY Donz View Post
              I just installed a "HeatTrans" heat transfer system in my recent reno. It has far exceeded my expectations. The lounge might be around 22C and the bedrooms will get up to 20-21C. I usually only have it venting to the master bedroom and office (I work from home) but I leave the hall and toilet doors open and it warms them up too. Walking into the room where the vent is closed is like walking into a fridge. It's a basic 70's 3 bedroom Sunline home in Auckland. I did put insulation in the walls, ceiling and underfloor but the house has virtually floor to ceiling windows.

Best thing I ever did putting in the wood burner and heat transfer kit.
              Have this in Dunedin (1960's) and it was great, was going to put it in Tauranga (1996) but found the bedrooms get to a good temp without it.

Comment

• Lucky you! Unfortunately the bedrooms were not renovated (yet) and as there is a raking ceiling in them, there is no insulation except for underfloor. They are also on the cold side of the house. Nice to know you had good experiences too. A lot of people tried to talk me out of it including the electrician....they all thought heat pumps were the way to go!

Comment

• Originally posted by DIY Donz View Post
                  Lucky you! Unfortunately the bedrooms were not renovated (yet) and as there is a raking ceiling in them, there is no insulation except for underfloor. They are also on the cold side of the house. Nice to know you had good experiences too. A lot of people tried to talk me out of it including the electrician....they all thought heat pumps were the way to go!
                  Ill never be convinced that heat pumps are better than fires

Comment

• Ill never be convinced that heat pumps are better than fires
                    Until fires are legislated against because of air pollution.
                    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
                      Ill never be convinced that heat pumps are better than fires
                      surely this all depends on the cost of the wood fuel?
                      Cunsumer have done the figures and fires come out higher.
                      In April they said heat pumps cost 6-12c/kWh and wood burners are 9-24c/kWh.
                      I do like the convienience of flicking a switch and the heat comes on.
                      No storage needs, no cleaning up.

Comment

This season we haven't paid for wood yet but that's not my point I like my house toasty warm and I'm guessing the prices for that from a heat pump will blow those estimates (rough guess house would be sitting at 24 degrees). I also hate the dryness you get (skin and eyes) and the blowing of air.

I hope I never have to remove it.

Plus power prices are always going to increase, worse comes to worse if I'm broke I can get free wood and I can cook on it.

Plus where would the cat lie to warm up

Comment

Interesting as when I did my research a couple of years ago, Consumer had heat pumps more expensive to run than wood fires (based on purchasing in wood). I thought I'd kept the info but can't find it right now. Wouldn't you have to run several heat pumps to warm the whole house? Whereas with a fire and heat transfer you heat the whole house from the one source.

I'm with Maccachic, and would rather have a fire (a clean burning and efficient one) whether I had to pay for wood or not. I understand the convenience of flicking a switch and if you're not home until 6-7pm then maybe a fire doesn't work so well. I'm lucky that I work from home and can have the house warming up during the day if I wish. I also have free access to plenty of wood and don't mind the effort that goes into retrieving it as it's good exercise. The cleaning up is minimal and the benefit far outweighs this in my mind.

Comment

• DIY Donz - your experience mirrors mine exactly. Also work from home and getting the fire going of a morning is easy, and the house is toasty by 11am and just lovely by the time the temp starts to drop around 4pm. You forgot to mention the ability to cook and warm food on top of the fire, by the way. Something I use mine for regularly.

Comment

• Yes Leftette, some are better designed for that than others - sounds like you and Maccachic have those ones. Mine isn't designed for cooking on per se (a conscious choice), but it is still good enough to heat some soup or make a cuppa if the power is out. I have been known to light the fire in the morning and as you say warm the house by 10 or 11am but then I often let it go out when the sun streams in the living area. I light it again later in the day and there is no waiting for the house to warm up cos it's already warm and the fire box (being cast iron) is also still warm. It's also really nice when you go out of an evening and come home to a nice warm house. It's a different heat.

Comment

• My parents power bill drops dramatically over winter due to the wet back and my mother cooks almost everything on theirs - rural area. I'm not that organised but I like the option if I need it. They had a heat pump installed as well (built in 1994) and I don't think they have even used it much.

Father installed a positive pressure system but its limited due to the cold air in the roof in winter when you need it.

Comment

Working...
                                X