Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Risk Exposure - High Land Value, Low Improvement vs Low Land Value, High Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risk Exposure - High Land Value, Low Improvement vs Low Land Value, High Improvement

Hi all,

I've been mulling this over in my head and would be interested in some thoughts / feedback.

My wife and I have recently been looking at moving home from a larger section with smaller house to a larger nicer house with smaller section. This got me thinking about the potential risk exposure for the two different situations if the market was to drop. I'm not interested in having a debate about whether it will happen or not just assessing/debating the risk exposure - (for reference we're based in Christchurch).

It would appear to me that if you believe that there is a housing bubble much of this bubble is based around the land values, Auckland being the prime example where you see news items about people buying barely inhabitable old shacks for crazy amounts. Granted land/housing supply issues vary significantly between Auckland and Christchurch, I believe Christchurch lift in values have been a combo of availability, and build costs where Auckland is probably more availability driven (at least on a % basis). To be fair an element of the house price increases has come through increasing regulation around building new homes but a housing crash isn't likely to significantly alter the cost of building a new home (granted the reduction in demand will likely reduce labour and some materials costs but it's not going to reduce insulation requirements etc...).

Taking the above into account it would then lead me to believe that if we were to move from a situation with a 50/50 improvement to land value split to a 75/25 improvement to land value split we would be less exposed to market fluctuations at least in the general case.

Love to hear any thoughts & advanced apologies if this is a stupid question.

improvement devalue as old construction wears out and needs renovating and updating.

Land appreciates

the reason we generally see increases capital value is due to the land and increasing value.

Auckland properties offer greater value as the land is scarce whereas chch has bigger areas being opened up post EQ and this deflates existing stock.

I assume this is why chch values have stagnated in recent times? (also pop loss etc) It is a matter of supply and demand. QA friend bought 2 years ago did up the kitchen and when revalued was still the same as before they bought?

case in point was Orewa nth of Auckland that is starting to fill up but until recently existing dwelling weren't such good value as they came at about the same price as the new one around the cnr where the build was new and more attractive. Now land is more scarce the existing are lifting. and offer closer to services etc

As a rule existing with low IP are better value as the replacement cost can be easily 4x the current IP? at least in Auckland

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
      improvement devalue as old construction wears out and needs renovating and updating.

Land appreciates

the reason we generally see increases capital value is due to the land and increasing value.

Auckland properties offer greater value as the land is scarce whereas chch has bigger areas being opened up post EQ and this deflates existing stock.

I assume this is why chch values have stagnated in recent times? (also pop loss etc) It is a matter of supply and demand. QA friend bought 2 years ago did up the kitchen and when revalued was still the same as before they bought?

case in point was Orewa nth of Auckland that is starting to fill up but until recently existing dwelling weren't such good value as they came at about the same price as the new one around the cnr where the build was new and more attractive. Now land is more scarce the existing are lifting. and offer closer to services etc

As a rule existing with low IP are better value as the replacement cost can be easily 4x the current IP? at least in Auckland
      So as a general rule....just buy the land!

Comment

Originally posted by Beano View Post
        Seems to be no cashflow return in that though Beano?
        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

plus a reasonable value for actual condition of improvements................

Comment

Working...
          X